Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Character issue now at forefront

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Amazed

Character issue now at forefront

It would seem that with teams such as Cincinnati and Tennessee having so many problems with off the field issues that most other teams are starting to put much more emphasis on character issues just like the Steelers have for years.
    Character issue now at forefront

By Ed Bouchette
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

NFL Draft Rumors
    Scouts call them measurables, such as a pro football prospect's time in the 40-yard run, his height, his weight, how high he can jump. That's the easy stuff, something a stenographer could record.

The intangibles? As elusive as Barry Sanders. There are more of them, too. Scouts have their peculiar phrases for them, such as how a player moves in space, how fast is his motor, how big is his heart, whether he has quick-twitch fiber or - former Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line coach Kent Stephenson loved this one - if he is country strong.

One word used to describe an intangible has dominated the talk of scouts and coaches more than ever as they evaluate college prospects who will be drafted Saturday and Sunday: Character.

While many NFL teams long took into account a prospect's character, new NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has forced them to take it even more seriously. Goodell recently suspended Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam "Pac-Man" Jones for the 2007 season and Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry for half of the season because of their frequent troubles with the law.

Goodell has not issued a formal policy on the matter, but he has said teams also could be fined or lose draft picks based on the criminal behavior of their players. And that has gotten the attention of everyone.

"The No. 1 thing we look at right now is character," Detroit coach Rod Marinelli said during the NFL meetings in March.

Close by, Seattle coach Mike Holmgren talked about ignoring potential problem players in the draft.

"If you have real stringent requirements, I think, in the draft, you head it off," Holmgren said. "Then you're not going to take a chance on somebody.

"Some teams already do that. And, when you look at the kids, all his records and everything, he has a problem and boom, he's off the board or he drops or whatever."

The Steelers have three men who work various security details for them and the NFL in the Pittsburgh area. Much of their time after the season ends is spent on background checks of college prospects.

NFL security also works background checks on all the college prospects and issues reports to every team. Yet, Jones still was drafted in the top 10 by the Titans.

"There was one issue (at West Virginia) that everyone knew about prior to the draft," Titans coach Jeff Fisher said at the NFL meeting. "His background was very difficult. None of us have an idea what he went through, I can assure you of that. Beyond that, it is very complex. If I could give you one simple answer to why, I would. But it is a very, very complex set of circumstances."

No team has been vilified about the character issue more than the Bengals. Nine Bengals have been arrested since January 2006, and Henry has been charged five times since December 2005.

Yet, coach Marvin Lewis said the Bengals take character into account at draft time as much as any NFL team does, and that the screening process has been in place for a long time.

"You already do that. It happens at your paper. It happens at Procter & Gamble. Nobody ever has to read about it. The process is pretty tight already."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin saw first-hand the residue of the wrong kind of tradition that can grip a team when he worked one season in 2006 with the Minnesota Vikings as defensive coordinator. Four Vikings were charged in the infamous 2005 Love Boat scandal, and there were lingering problems with behavior on the team.

"It's part of the culture," Tomlin said. "Things that go on outside the white lines always manifest themselves inside the white lines. That's the bottom line."

Tomlin said the Steelers will take a tough stance in this draft on the character issue.

"Everybody says they want to win and says the right things, but are they willing to deal with things on a day-to-day basis? Are they willing to prepare like a champion?

"It's about the people you bring in."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....0301/704240339
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Starter
    Character is not an intangible. Its something you can see in someone just by talking to them or getting to know them, or by their actions. Definitley not an intangible.

My Mood
    Amazed

Wink

Seems as though I heard or read somewhere (and I think it was NFLN) that a potential player's character and past "rap sheet", from his college days is passed along to all 32 NFL organizations.

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Steelers have always put a high emphasis on the character of a player when they draft him, that's why we rarely have an issue with players like other teams do because we when a player is a potential off the field distraction we steer clear of him. It's just another reason why our ownership is the best in the league !

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    Yeah and you cant take your players that are on probation or parole out of the country to play in some of these over seas games. Its a damn wonder they let the bungals out of Ohio

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's such a problem today in professional sports, these people get all this money & fame then they go out and act stupid and immature. They put themselves in bad situations that they know can potentially be trouble, then they want to whine, complain, and appeal the punishments they get.

I don't have any sympathy for these people because they're all multiple offenders. The league isn't going to suspend you for a year if you screw up once. They'll fine you, maybe suspend you for a few games but you'll be back in no time, but when you keep on screwing up and screwing up there's no one to blame but yourself. Don't give me this victim of society BS, or I didn't think it was that big of a deal crap either. Take your punishment like a man, ya screwed up and blew your chance to play in the NFL.

Sorry, Im done ranting now It just drives me nuts to see so many players in sports today not taking their position seriously, screwing up, then trying to gain public sympathy for their screwup to get back in. Team should know better by now than to draft these players and give them such big contracts right off the bat. That's not to say that people shouldn't be given a second chance, because they should Im all for that, but problematic players are a distraction to a team sooner or later.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    I think the NFL and the new Commish are done with the "thug" players I think they want to bring back the fans that say hey the NFL is full of spoiled babys.

I know a few in my office after the Pacman and Chris deal started talking how they at one time rooted for this team or that team and thought they might try to watch a few more games. They all know I am nuts cause in my office behind the chair across from my desk is a sign saying Steeler parking only

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    Quote Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL View Post
    They all know I am nuts cause in my office behind the chair across from my desk is a sign saying Steeler parking only
    Good one!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Goodell is really laying the law down early on his term. He's put the hammer to Chris Henry & Pacman, he's reprimanded all 32 teams for apparent leaking out of private info from the combine about the 3 players who confessed to trying pot at some point in their life. He's doing his best to make sure the NFL stays the best professional sports business in the world and keep the reputation that they've worked so hard to build; intact.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Goodell is really laying the law down early on his term. He's put the hammer to Chris Henry & Pacman, he's reprimanded all 32 teams for apparent leaking out of private info from the combine about the 3 players who confessed to trying pot at some point in their life. He's doing his best to make sure the NFL stays the best professional sports business in the world and keep the reputation that they've worked so hard to build; intact.
    That is al well and good and has been needed, IMO since the mid 90'sand possibly before. (Seems like that was the Cowgirl era Irvin, etc of druggies). I just hope these owners who need one guy to finish out their "perfect team" look beyond the thug type because there are good guys out there, as well. The Steelers probably could have won the superbowl a long time ago, but because of the Rooney's high standards we looked beyond the thug type. Although, we give Bam Morris a chance, he came from the Cowgirls and that ey said, "no more." ( where is he now- he has to be out of prison, doesn't he)?

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

Thread Information