Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the "Big RB/Power Running" game gone with Cowher ?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Is the "Big RB/Power Running" game gone with Cowher ?

Tomlin has expressed to us several times since he became our HC that in order to win you have to run the ball and stop the run. This is encouraging news for a city that loves to grind it out and run it down your throat. It's right in line with the Steeler tradition of running the ball and tough defensive play. You beat your opponent up on offense and then attack, attack, attack on defense till they just wear out and give up.

Now with Tomlin here though and Fast Willie as our starter, is the big era gone now? We don't know for sure if Tomlin really wants another Bettis type back or if he wants and average size back to compliment Willie. Obviously you don't need a big, bruising, power back in order to run the ball effectively and win games by "grinding it out", but that's what we are used to seeing for decades now as fans; 3 yds and a cloud of dust. Perhaps Tomlin goes for decent size back this year instead of trying to get a BIG back to have the thunder/lightning combination we've seen for so long...

Thoughts ?

It's a good question, but we probably won't know the answer until after the draft. Tomlin has mentioned he likes the two running back system, so I would have to say he looks for the big bruiser to compliment Willie for the Thunder/Lighting the Steelers had in 06.

Tomlin and Parker have both mentioned that in todays NFL sucess might be come easier with two backs.

So when one back is Willie who is small fast and somewhat ellusive... I think it is only natural to want to bring in someone who is strong in the areas where Willie is weak... between the tackles, short yardage, and the ability to break tackles.

I think there is still a need for power big back in Pittsburgh. It doesn't even mean he has to be physically big as long as he runs big.

My Mood
    Horny
    don't know what they will they will do but imo i don't think they need a big back anymore willie has proven him self and is more than capable of carrying the full load!

it was nice having a big back like bettis to compliment willie but i just don't think it is nessesary. just my

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Well the Pittsburgh Steelers will always run the ball. There is no doubt about that in my mind.

But the talent on offense suggests maybe the direction won't the true power running game that all of us Stiller fans have been used to over the years. Our starting RB now has the speed to take it to the house anytime he touches the pigskin. So Fast Willie talents doesn't really fit the power running game. Now I do think the Steelers need to get another RB to help Willie out and give him a breather from time to time.

Here is another point. I think its time for Big Ben to be an NFL QB. I think for the most part Cowher/Whisenhunt babied Big Ben. Hard to argue the way they handled Ben since the team had so much success his first two years in the NFL.

But its time for him to shoulder more of the load and really start to carry this team. Especially with weapons like Ward, Holmes, Washington and Miller for Ben to throw to. Now I'm not saying the Steelers should turn into the greatest show on grass. But a 50pass/50run ratio would be nice. I think Ariens suggesting that he might run the ball out of more spread formations is another sign that the Steelers might move from more of a traditional power running game. Running the ball out of 4 WR sets isn't power football.lol

But I expect the Steelers to still run the ball and that won't ever change. It just won't be the usual Big Back plowing through defanders with two TE's out there.
    Last edited by Black@Gold Forever32; 04-24-2007 at 09:11 PM.

I always want to see more running than passing. I also want more involvement with Miller and Holmes. I think a guy like Tony Hunt is perfect for Parker he's a powerback but can get those 20-30 yard runs.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Having Bettis spoiled the **** out of us Willie bulked up before last year to be able to handle more carries, yeah he struggled at times but it wasn't all on him. The first thing to worry about is to get our trenches online. Once we get that taken care of then Willie and Co. will be free to do whatever they want. As far as what kind of back we get, I say we need a power back, he doesn't have to be big but he does have to be able to hit the line and do some damage. By damage I mean hit the D hard to where when its blood and guts time (4th quarter) the D doesn't want to line up. When that happens, its all over but the cryin.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Tailgate Coordinator
    We heared the same last season after the Bus retired, so why would it be any different now. We need to run the ball period to win. It is our bread and butter, and I do not believe it has to be a big bag to do it. It starts at the OL.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It all does indeed start with the OL, if we get that squared away then everything else can fall into place. Im certainly not suggesting that it's a fix all because we still need Ben to play smart and the backs to hit the right holes, the WR's to catch but without proper blocking we could have Franco & Jerome back there and it wouldn't do a bit of good.

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
    When they say the 2 back system does that always mean a fast back and a power back???

Thread Information