Thread: Todays PostGazette article!!!! Faneca traded!?!?

Bookmark and Share

Todays PostGazette article!!!! Faneca traded!?!?

Steelers open to draft day deals
    Monday, April 23, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers are more likely to make a trade and move down the ladder in the first round from their No. 15 position than move up, they said today.

Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, also said they would consider trading players -- and that would include guard Alan Faneca.

"Sure, we're open to everything," Colbert said today. "You never say never on any given situation. If you say you wouldn't do it and then all of a sudden someone proposes something crazy, you have to consider it."

Would that include Faneca, their six-time Pro Bowl guard who is unhappy with the financial terms left on the final year of his contract? There have been rumors that the Cardinals would like to acquire Faneca from the Steelers and reunite him with offensive line coach Russ Grimm and new Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt.

"We touch base with every team," Colbert said. "We never get into a specific name; most teams don't, unless they come out publicly and say that. You never mention a player's name unless you're sure that player's not going to be with you, because if that player's name gets out in trade talks and you don't trade him, now you have a problem on your hands."

Colbert said picking up extra draft choices in a trade to move further down in the first round is enticing.

"It's less likely we'll go up from the 15th position because it's very expensive to get up into that top echelon," Colbert said. "Trading down could be an option for us. This is probably a good draft where more picks midway through is probably a good thing because there are a lot of good players that are going to be available in those 3-4-round areas. That could be interesting to us."

The Steelers have nine draft picks in the draft that takes place Saturday and Sunday.

Im my opinion its at crunch time for the steelers to make this deal, but like Colbert said its not something you want to tell the press because if you dont trade the guy then you have problems IE: Lance Briggs! For everybody that says "no dont trade Faneca, he's the best" yeah your right he is the best G in the league, but look at this season w/ Porter. If the was a Post season Defensive MVP award Porter would of won it by a land slide last year, he dominated in all 3 of the pre XL games and his stock would of been enough to command a early first round pick. Instead, we keep him, he threatens to hold out early, and has a very down year by his standards. Only to sign a big deal and leave us with a massive hole to fill. So i ask why not learn from this and trade Alan now, get maximum value for him, maybe even AZ's 1st round pick!?!?!?

i would love to do a multiple team trade and somehow get 2-3 picks in the mid first round...theres so many scenerios that its not even worth thinking about lol

House of Steel
    You got a point there, Kyle, Man, I would be all for that for sure. You imagine the amount of talent we could get with all those picks.

Draft Pick
    i love faneca, but this is a buisness. If we can get a good deal for him like AZ first or even 2nd and a 3rd he can be replaced. What im thinking is AZ or even huston 1st and 2nd. Then we trade the first for someone elses secound and 3rd. Throw away some of our lower draft choices in the process and we can build a solid squad. So even though i own 3 Faneca jerseys I say let him fly the coupe.

if this happens we will have

1st Patrick Willis
    1st/2nd Anthony Spencer
    2nd Justin Blaylock
    2nd Tony Hunt
    3rd Daymeion Hughes
    3rd Daniel Sepulveda (for u K-trian)
    4th Stephen Nicholas
    4th James Marten
    5th Mike Walker

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Draft Pick