Thread: Steelers open to draft day deals.

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Tailgate Coordinator

Steelers open to draft day deals.

Steelers open to draft day deals

Monday, April 23, 2007
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers are more likely to make a trade and move down the ladder in the first round from their No. 15 position than move up, they said today.

Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, also said they would consider trading players -- and that would include guard Alan Faneca.

"Sure, we're open to everything," Colbert said today. "You never say never on any given situation. If you say you wouldn't do it and then all of a sudden someone proposes something crazy, you have to consider it."

Would that include Faneca, their six-time Pro Bowl guard who is unhappy with the financial terms left on the final year of his contract? There have been rumors that the Cardinals would like to acquire Faneca from the Steelers and reunite him with offensive line coach Russ Grimm and new Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt.

"We touch base with every team," Colbert said. "We never get into a specific name; most teams don't, unless they come out publicly and say that. You never mention a player's name unless you're sure that player's not going to be with you, because if that player's name gets out in trade talks and you don't trade him, now you have a problem on your hands."

Colbert said picking up extra draft choices in a trade to move further down in the first round is enticing.

"It's less likely we'll go up from the 15th position because it's very expensive to get up into that top echelon," Colbert said. "Trading down could be an option for us. This is probably a good draft where more picks midway through is probably a good thing because there are a lot of good players that are going to be available in those 3-4-round areas. That could be interesting to us."

The Steelers have nine draft picks in the draft that takes place Saturday and Sunday.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07113/780317-66.stm

I hope they do move down from #15, then package some of their late picks, to maximize their picks right around rounds 2, 3 & 4.

I'm A "Champion"

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I'm all for trading down and getting more quality pick in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I don't like being at 15 especially in this draft.

House of Steel
    Can you say the Arizona rumor has some credibility now?

Tailgate Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    Can you say the Arizona rumor has some credibility now?

Yes I can HOS, and you said it first. I'll give you that credit.

I'm A "Champion"

House of Steel
    But again, you guys could be right and not see the Steelers pull the trigger. I wouldn't mind trading down to get more picks, but I certainly could see us trade up and grab a major role player in the TOP 5. Come on, who wouldn't pull a trigger like that? I certainly would if I was a GM.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    But again, you guys could be right and not see the Steelers pull the trigger. I wouldn't mind trading down to get more picks, but I certainly could see us trade up and grab a major role player in the TOP 5. Come on, who wouldn't pull a trigger like that? I certainly would if I was a GM.
    I doubt the Steelers trade up. They don't want to pay the kind of money a top five pick would get.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I doubt the Steelers trade up. They don't want to pay the kind of money a top five pick would get.

Exactly.

I'm A "Champion"

House of Steel
    Yeah your right, I could see them trade down to get more picks in the third and fourth round. This is exciting times. You know Alan Faneca is worth a first round pick as good as he's been.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This is still a smoke screen if you ask me. No team is going to tell you anything and there's nothing in that article that tells you that Arizona is looking for Faneca anymore than anyone else is. Sure he's an option to trade for but it's not like Colbert even hinted that it was a possibility. He's just keeping our options open by being very vague just like any other team would be.

9 picks is way too many to even think they'll all make the team. I'd like to package some later picks too and maximize our mid round selections so more of them have a chance of making the squad.

I really dont think we should we don't need 2 Lb's anyway just one good one if anything we shoulb be trading down for spencer or beason

Thread Information