Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers looking for versatility in 1st round

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_503933.html
    By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Sunday, April 22, 2007

The last time the Steelers had the 15th pick in the NFL Draft, they took a pass-rushing outside linebacker who tormented opposing quarterbacks in college.

As for Huey Richardson working out in Pittsburgh, well, not so much.

He lasted about as long as a "Huey Lewis & the News" concert, and the Steelers haven't used their top draft pick on a linebacker since they made that colossal mistake with Richardson in 1991.

It would be heresy to Steelers fans to suggest that history will repeat itself Saturday. The Steelers taking a player like Richardson -- with the emphasis being on player -- at No. 15 overall would make sense, since they could use a pass-rushing, outside linebacker in the wake of Joey Porter's release.

What may take precedence for the Steelers is getting a versatile playmaker, outside linebacker or not, that will allow them to transition from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defense.

That is why the Steelers have been linked with players such as Florida State linebacker Lawrence Timmons and Nebraska defensive end Adam Carriker, to name a few, in mock drafts.

Timmons appears capable of playing outside linebacker in both a 3-4 and 4-3 defense, and draft analysts have said the 6-foot-1, 234-pounder could also line up at defensive end in a 4-3 alignment.

Carriker, meanwhile, could line up at tackle in a 4-3 and end in a 3-4. He could possibly play outside linebacker in a 4-3, though speed would be a concern.

"He's big, he comes hard every play and to me, any defensive structure you want, Adam Carriker is going to fit into it," ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper said.

What structure the Steelers will have is nothing more than an educated guess at this point.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, a 4-3 disciple, has said the Steelers will stick with the 3-4 at least through next season because their personnel is best suited for it.

Tomlin has dismissed the importance of base formations -- he also hasn't ruled out using both a 3-4 and a 4-3 as situations dictate -- but who the Steelers draft, particularly in the first round, could give more than a glimpse into what shape the defense will take in future years.

"I think they'll be a team like New England where x-amount of time they're 3-4 and x-amount of time they're 4-3," said Gil Brandt, NFL.com analyst and former Dallas Cowboys director of player personnel. "I think you're going to see more and more of that where (teams) have multiple fronts, so that instead of spending an hour practicing against the 3-4, you've got to spend your time against both of them, and either have a longer practice or not be as thorough as you were if you were just (preparing) for one."

I have a feeling it's gonna be Carriker if he is there... word is Timmons is falling on many boards.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We all know Spencer will be there at 15. I'd love to either pull the trigger on him or trade down a few spots and then get him if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    We all know Spencer will be there at 15. I'd love to either pull the trigger on him or trade down a few spots and then get him if need be.
    I don't think Spencer is the 15th best player on anyone's board... I would be suprised if we select him there.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    I'm still on the "OKOYE" bandwagon but reallity tells me he's gonna be gone !

So with that said i agree with you on spencer TG
    Heard him on sirius yesterday and i like what he said and loved what T-ROCK said about him Also Pat Kirwin said he'd be a perfect fit in pittsburgh !

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't necessarily think he's the 15th best player either but he's a good fit for us and he's definitely a 1st rounder IMO. At this point Im not sure anything would surprise me anymore about who we pick, well except maybe ktrain's punter

I don't think you can draft for need with the 15th pick... you gotta go BPA. Hopefully we won't have a draft position this nice for years.

You got six rounds left to draft for need...
    Last edited by BB2W; 04-22-2007 at 02:14 AM.

I dont really care who we get as long as he is a versatile defensive player. One that can rush the passer or stop the run.

A four man front of Smith, Hampton, Keisel, and Carriker would be pretty much un-blockable. Smith and Carriker can play the 3 technique and all four of them are worthy of a double team... someone would be getting to the quarterback.

When they are in the 3-4 they can rotate Keisel, Smith, and Carriker to keep them fresh.
    Last edited by BB2W; 04-22-2007 at 11:17 AM.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    BB2W all great points and I agree with you. I'm a big Anthony Spencer fan and I started the Spencer talk on here. But I never thought he would be worth the 15th overall pick. The Steelers can trade down and get him in the bottom part of the first round. There is talk that he still can be a 2nd rounder. I heard that Timmons is falling as well.

Plus I said all along the Steelers should draft best player available instead of drafting for need. Yes OLB is a big need but I feel these OLB prospects are not worth the 15th overall pick.

Nice points on Adam Carriker and I'm with you on him. I'm one of the few that wouldn't be upset if his name was called Sat. with the 15th pick.

I really would like Willis in the first round since I think ILB is also a need and I would feel Willis could be the best available if there at 15.

Thread Information