Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ward: Feelin like a rookie again...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Ward: Feelin like a rookie again...

http://news.steelers.com/article/75377/

Feeling like a rookie again
    Saturday, April 21, 2007
    By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Hines Ward is entering his 10th season in the NFL, but after a few practices during the Steelers mini-camp, he admits he feels like a rookie all over again. And the reason is simple. Things have changed.

New offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has shaken up the offensive playbook, keeping the basic plays the same but changing terminology, protections and other aspects of it. And that means it's time to start over and go through a major learning process for Ward and the rest of the offense.

"That's why lot of the offensive guys are back. It's really the same playbook but we're changing it up and we're protecting different ways and stuff," said Ward. "That's just like going to school, it's more like classroom, homework stuff. It's trying to mentally get a picture of what formation we're in and things like that.

'It's exciting. Everybody is like a rookie all over and everybody's in this together."

The team is taking part in a three-day mini-camp, the first of two that they will have this off-season, and it has been the first opportunity for the players to get a feel for what head coach Mike Tomlin is like on the field. There are things they will have to become accustomed to, but Ward likes what he has seen so far.

"Coach Tomlin, he's a laid-back guy but he's very hands on," said Ward. "He's hands on with every different position. It's exciting for us. There's a lot of uncertainty because we're so accustomed to one way but at the same time we're excited by the new coaching staff and the new sense of spirit they bring into the locker room.

"With the new coaching staff, a new head coach, things are going to be different around here. There's going to be an adjustment period that we as a group, a lot of veteran guys, we're accustomed to doing it one way all the time. Coach Tomlin is about taking fundamentals very seriously and starting from there."

Ward is happy to be back on the field, happy to be starting a new season after he said it was embarrassing to miss the playoffs coming off winning the Super Bowl. Along with his teammates he had time to reflect on the 2006 season and figure out what went wrong and what can be corrected in his own play to help the team do better this year.

It's way to soon for him to predict what will happen in 2007, but he thinks the team is headed in the right direction.

"It's mini-camp, we still have a long ways to go, but I like where we're going," said Ward. "I like what Coach Arians is putting in offensively – it's going to give a chance for a lot of guys to really be active. He's going to put guys in the right position to make plays. That's the good part of this offense, he's going to put you in position to go out and make plays and be successful.

"We know we have a long ways to go, but it all starts here. Right now, it's about starting a foundation, getting everybody acclimated to the new offense's terminology and still going out there and playing Pittsburgh Steelers football."
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 04-21-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Good to hear Ward is so opptomistic. I think we are gonna like the changes Arians has in store for the offense.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Coach Tomlin is about taking fundamentals very seriously and starting from there."
    Thats what Tomlins been saying from the beginning, the man ain't ****ing around. Its good to hear everyone is pumped up and taking the changes as a challenge. Those positive attitudes will only rub off on everyone, including the rookies this year.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Great read---Top Gun

Looking forward to watching Hines knock the crap outta anyone who gets
    in his way as usual

Hines Ward is going to dominate this year with his new attitude. I would not be surprised to see him breaking records and destroying defenses. I think the game has become fun to him again.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ive always liked Wards' attitude when it comes to training camp. He always approaches it as having to win his spot on the squad and earn his place on the field. You have to love that kind of work ethic !

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I'm hopin to see "Psycho" Ward back again this year--We saw precious little of him in '06.
    Last edited by SteelersWoman; 04-21-2007 at 10:33 PM.

House of Steel
    This is why I love Hines Ward as the person and player. He is just dynamic and energetic as hell. He has that million dollar smile. Who wouldn't want to play next to him as a Steeler. I am so glad he is ours.

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL

House of Steel
    LMFAO!!! Hoedown with Hines in the South Endzone at PBS, coming at a touchdown real soon.
    Last edited by House of Steel; 04-22-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Thread Information