Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Notebook: Big Ben, Cowher had problems

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Steelers Notebook: Big Ben, Cowher had problems

Ben Roethlisberger blurted the worst-kept secret around the Steelers into the open yesterday: He and coach Bill Cowher did not quite see eye to eye.

"Our relationship wasn't great because he was here before I got here and I was just a young kid," Roethlisberger said yesterday.

The most glaring instance of the strain on that relationship came in 2005 when Cowher became aware that his young quarterback was riding a motorcycle without wearing a helmet. Cowher talked to him and advised him to be responsible and wear one. That same day, Roethlisberger told the media he would continue to ride without a helmet.

Other instances occurred when the coach sharply disagreed publicly with Roethlisberger that he had played the AFC championship game in his rookie season with broken toes. There were other disagreements over perceived injuries that caused frustration for Cowher.

Roethlisberger hopes to get off to a better start with new coach Mike Tomlin.

"Coach Tomlin and I are rookies together in a sense, so I think we will have a better relationship,'' Roethlisberger said.

Taylor back with first team

Cornerback Ike Taylor regained his spot on the first-team defense, at least for yesterday. He ended last season having lost his job and virtually in the coach's doghouse. He and veteran Deshea Townsend worked with the first unit.

"Right now, I am just happy to be back out there," Taylor said. "The offseason was fast. The season is approaching, We have a new head coach, new coaching staff. I am glad to be back playing football."

Not a center yet

Starting right guard Kendall Simmons does not see himself competing at center with newcomer Sean Mahan and seven-year veteran backup Chukky Okobi, no matter what his coaches said.

Simmons was at right guard and Okobi at center when the first unit took the field yesterday. Simmons will practice some at center, but does not expect it to be full time. Marvin Philip also made the roster last season as a rookie center.

"We have Chukky, Sean and Marvin here," Simmons said. "I want to be good enough at it and continue to get reps so if something happens I can do it."

Gardocki still here, but ...

Punter Chris Gardocki, still on the roster despite the team's attempts to replace him, attended minicamp. Gardocki, 37, has a $1 million salary due this year. The Steelers signed restricted free agent Andy Lee, but the 49ers kept their punter by matching the contract. Punter Mike Barr is on the preseason roster for the fourth consecutive year, and the Steelers have taken closer looks at a couple of college punting prospects.

New policy

Tomlin ended a long-standing Steelers tradition of open policy when he barred newspaper photographers from most of practice.

He will permit the still photographers to work the early part of practice when players basically run and stretch, but not when the team moves to group drills and practice.

Tomlin explained that he's trying to protect players while they compete for jobs.

"Sometimes, a picture's worth a thousand words, and some people are going to be in some compromising positions that maybe they don't want to see themselves in," Tomlin said.

So far so good

Tomlin's first two practices as Steelers coach were run crisply on a warm day, and he said he was happy with them.

"Just the overall atmosphere for what we're looking for, the tempo, the attention to detail. I wanted to hear the guys coach. I wanted to hear the guys talk to one another, teach one another. The overall camaraderie is what I was looking for. We got a lot of that today. It was a great, upbeat tempo, a positive attitude. It was a very positive day from that standpoint."
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07111/779926-66.stm
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

That's interesting to hear about Ben and Cowher. I always wondered what was up especially when the broken toe report came out. Things didn't always seem to jive just and someone always came out looking like a liar.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    If our QB is happier, he'll play better.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It was no secret that there was something going on behind the scenes with Bill and Ben. I don't think any of us could have known how big or problematic the situation truely was but it all boils down to the fact that they worked together to get us our 5th Super bowl, and for that we can always be thankful.

I hope Tomlin & Big Ben can work well together and stay on the same page in all instances so we keep a strong relationship between Coach & QB, which will only benefit us in the long run.

House of Steel
    Great to hear about Tomlin's feelings of how everything went yesterday. That is a great sign.

I am not suprised at all by this. Cowher was not QB's best friend.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

When I heard this last night, I had to rewind it to make sure I heard it correctly. I guess I kindof knew there was some stuff between the two of them, but never really thought it was anything that serious.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Reppin' 724
    So basically what you all are saying is that it's ok that Ben obviously didn't like Cowher to the point where it affected his play, but it's not ok for Faneca to dislike (reportedly) Tomlin and it won't affect his play.

Hypocrites.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    So basically what you all are saying is that it's ok that Ben obviously didn't like Cowher to the point where it affected his play, but it's not ok for Faneca to dislike (reportedly) Tomlin and it won't affect his play.

Hypocrites.
    The difference is Ben didn't skip workouts and whine to the media about Cowher and his relationship, which is exactly why we are just finding out that there was more going on behind closed doors than we knew.

On the other hand, Faneca is skipping workouts, hasn't even given Tomlin the chance because Grimm was his drinking buddy. Tomlin has done nothing to him, except take his buddy's job.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by BBG7 View Post
    The difference is Ben didn't skip workouts and whine to the media about Cowher and his relationship, which is exactly why we are just finding out that there was more going on behind closed doors than we knew.

On the other hand, Faneca is skipping workouts, hasn't even given Tomlin the chance because Grimm was his drinking buddy. Tomlin has done nothing to him, except take his buddy's job.
    Has anyone here even tried to put themselves in Faneca's shoes? You work at a job, and a buddy of yours, a good buddy, is up for promotion the be the head guy. He is reportedly told the job is his, only to have some other guy come out of nowhere to take the job. To top it all off, your buddy doesn't even work with you anymore. I'm sure all of you would be estatic, it's so easy for everyone here to bitch about Faneca (funny aren't you birching abotu his bitching?), but not one person has even thought to put themselves in his siuation. Yeah he gets paid millions of dollars to play a game, I know. Once again it's voluntary workouts, Ben obviously needed/needs to be there, Alan doesn't.

You are all making a big deal about Faneca, but this won't affect how he plays, he will still perform at a pro-bowl level. Ben couldn't do that, not only could he not do that, but when he ****ed up (05 AFCCG) he makes up injuries when he doesn't perform well.

I'm sure Alan is woking out and staying in shape, and he will be there in May, if not, then you all can bitch and moan. Until then I will just watch our hard-working QB participate in mini-camp, and then go back on the semi-celebrity tour and punish his liver for being a bad-boy.

Thread Information