Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do The Steelers Want To Be In The Darrelle Revis Business?

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine

Do The Steelers Want To Be In The Darrelle Revis Business?

IF YOU'VE "HAD IT" WITH possible prospects, PLEASE STOP READING AND LEAVE THIS POST. This is only for those who, [regardless of how much we hear] can never get enough

http://www.sportsocracy.org/?p=624?197cc2c8

By Thejim | April 19, 2007

I don't think anyone would disagree that this year's NFL draft is a big one for the Steelers. Since it'll be the first under the new Mike Tomlin regime and with the team holding the #15 pick, this year's draft effort will be under an even hotter spotlight than normal and will go down in history as a rousing success or huge flop for the coach…I doubt it'll land anywhere in between in terms of fan lore.
    So many players have been mentioned as a potential first-round Steelers choice, it's hard to put a number on it. I'm guessing it's in the neighborhood of 171, with such names as Dwayne Jarrett, Michael Bush, Amobi Okoye, Levi Brown, Joe Staley, Jarvis Moss, and Lawrence Timmons all being in the conversation at one time or another.
    I'm lobbying for the Steelers to go after Pitt's Darrelle Revis. I know, I know, I'm frequently critical of local pro teams bringing in a token hometown guy (Hello, Don Kelly!), but there's a lot of reasons this could work. The Steelers need an infusion of youth in a lot of places and look to be somewhat deep at corner on paper, but don't kid yourself, things are not all that good out there. Deshea Townsend seems to have retired after Super Bowl XL without telling anyone, Ike Taylor is down a lot more than he's up, Ricardo Colclough is running out of chances, and Bryant McFadden can only cover one guy at a time. This is where Revis can obviously fit the bill.

He's a Quiptown legend and was easily the best player on either side of the ball last year for Your Pittsburgh Panthers, originally projected as a late first-rounder on most boards. However, he's had a number of good workouts and has shot up a lot of draft boards, though not Mel Kiper's. Several scouts have questioned his speed, despite clocking in at a very good 4.38 at the combines…many people believe he loses quite a bit of that with pads on. Still Revis is probably the closest thing to a true shutdown corner in this draft and seems to be overtaking Leon Hall as the best option at CB that's out there. He's very physical and can bump with big receivers, allowing him to use his size and excellent ball awareness to make plays. And if there's anything the Steelers need, it's a guy that's reasonably close to a shutdown corner and someone with some playmaking ability.
    On top of all this, it appears that USC receiver, Dwayne Jarrett is going to slip into the 2nd round where the Steelers could try and move up to get him or see if he falls into their laps with the 46th pick. If the Steelers could actually end up with Revis AND Jarrett, you'd have to believe Mike Tomlin's first draft would be viewed as a smashing success.
    And need I remind you what young Mr. Revis can do when he has the ball in his hands?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV3g2Z-0ExA[/media]

wow i think im a revis fan now. sweet vid but that block was beautiful.

i would be more pissed off if we took a reciver in the first 4 rounds then a cb in the first. and not sure if revis will be a shutdown corner but If we can get him and Spencer or Beason thats a smashing sucess but it won't happen like that. I want to give a secondary another chance with a good pass rush this year and I know they'll be god but if there was a shutdown corner at pick #15 i would want him. but honestly I don't theres any this year but i hope Revis proves me wrong. If there was a corner like Champ Baily on the Steelers I can't even fathom that

no corners...i like him, but no corners

nice block though...wow

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    no corners...i like him, but no corners

nice block though...wow
    If the Steelers draft a corner how pissed are you going to get?

I remember that return... I was watching that game.

Quote Originally Posted by BB2W View Post
    I remember that return... I was watching that game.
    Yes! That was him? MAN!!!! We need him. First round though.............dang

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    if we draft a corner, i might not be on here for a while, because my cpu is right next to my feet and i might kick the **** out of it if we draft one

with that said, we will not draft a corner with the first round pick

it's obvious, tomlin is all over ike's nuts............and mcfadden is badass

timmons is a lock and i can't wait to hear his name announced as the 15th pick

and yeah, wow what a block, cleaned two guys out with one block, that was pretty amazing, revis shouldn't even get to celebrate, that was all the blocker right there lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    if we draft a corner, i might not be on here for a while, because my cpu is right next to my feet and i might kick the **** out of it if we draft one

with that said, we will not draft a corner with the first round pick

it's obvious, tomlin is all over ike's nuts............and mcfadden is badass

timmons is a lock and i can't wait to hear his name announced as the 15th pick

and yeah, wow what a block, cleaned two guys out with one block, that was pretty amazing, revis shouldn't even get to celebrate, that was all the blocker right there lol
    Thats funny Koopa. Dude I hope for your computers sake the Steelers don't draft a corner.lol

Dude I don't think Timmons is lock at all. Especially since there is some talk he might fall to the 2nd round. Now that talk can be total B.S. But it is making rounds around the league rumor mill.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Thats funny Koopa. Dude I hope for your computers sake the Steelers don't draft a corner.lol

Dude I don't think Timmons is lock at all. Especially since there is some talk he might fall to the 2nd round. Now that talk can be total B.S. But it is making rounds around the league rumor mill.
    **** a rumor mill .......i'm basing this on the fact that tomlin and colbert where both there to see him, i base it on the fact that he feels our biggest need...i base it on that fact that he has A LOT of potential to be very very good........so that is why i think it's a lock..........i hope we get spencer though......15 is not to high for him...........just my opinion though
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    **** a rumor mill .......i'm basing this on the fact that tomlin and colbert where both there to see him, i base it on the fact that he feels our biggest need...i base it on that fact that he has A LOT of potential to be very very good........so that is why i think it's a lock..........i hope we get spencer though......15 is not to high for him...........just my opinion though
    Well you make alot of good points but I don't think he is a lock at all. I bet the Steelers trade up or down in the first round. Mark my words.

Thread Information