Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harrison's approach remains the same--Great Read!!!

Bookmark and Share
    House of Steel

Harrison's approach remains the same--Great Read!!!

Harrison's approach remains the same
    Friday, April 20, 2007
    By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

http://news.steelers.com/article/75203/

Whether it's game-day or a voluntary workout in the middle of April, linebacker James Harrison comes to work with the same intensity and focus every day.

And while his focus right now is stepping into the outside linebacker position that opened when Joey Porter was released earlier this off-season, his work ethic is the same as it's been in the past.

"I'm not approaching it any different than I did last year," said Harrison. "I prepared last year as if there was a possibility that I could be a starter. Right now it looks like I will be the starter. My preparation is no different."

Harrison has started eight games for the Steelers over the last three seasons, including stepping in with a moment's notice when Porter was ejected during a pre-game scuffle in Cleveland in 2004. He responded in that game with his first quarterback sack, had six tackles and a pass defense.

If he is the starter this year, one thing that he will be looking forward to is the time to prepare and get the adequate number of repetitions in practice.

"It's a lot different now," said Harrison. "For me going in knowing I would be a starter is a lot better than five minutes before the game saying you are going in. I learn by going through plays. When you are a back-up you don't get those practice plays. It will be a lot better and hopefully it will show on the field in my play.

"Given the proper preparation I can play better than what I shown in the past."

Harrison is no doubt a little more excited this off-season knowing the potential to start, but he also knows that he has to keep his emotions in check, because there is always someone there wanting to take your job.

"You can't let your excitement take you over," he said. "That's not going to do anything for you. You have to prepare yourself to take advantage of that. If you don't do that, all the excitement in the world means nothing because someone else can come in and take your position."

Harrison is looking forward to getting on the field this weekend and fighting for that position when the team has their first mini-camp under head coach Mike Tomlin. After spending the last few weeks running, lifting weights and watching film, practice will be a welcome change for him.

"I am anxious any time I can out there and play football because I enjoy it," said Harrison. "We're looking at film now. That is something we didn't do last year (in the voluntary program). Me personally, I don't like looking at film. It does nothing for me. I have to be in there and do it to learn. That's how I learn, by doing it."

i read that this morning on www.steelers.com. im glad he is working so hard, and willing to step up to the plate. its a great article!
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

I read that this morning too. I love hearing stuff like that. That's the type of attitude that makes the Steelers great... win or lose.

Sig by BR7

House of Steel
    Harrison got the approach like attitude of Gregg Lloyd. He is going to be a force to be reckon with only if he would stay healthy. I think Garrett Grisold being the new team conditioning coach is going to be a huge benefit for not only Harrison's health, but the whole entire staff. The conditioners on the staff are saying nothing but praises on how packed the UPMC Weight Room is anymore on a daily basis. Hines been there working out, Troy, Ben, James Harrison, Larry Foote, Ike Taylor, and etc.

harrison is going to be damn good.

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL

House of Steel
    GOT TO LOVE THAT, SAL!!! Thanks a million for the videos.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    This is how a Steeler is supposed to act. Not like Alan Faneca's punk ***.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    This is how a Steeler is supposed to act. Not like Alan Faneca's punk ***.
    im not going to get on you about faneca this post.

but yeah im going to feel bad for Harrison if he gets replaced. mabye Tomlin wants him to start and will totally go the other way in the draft. but probelly not.

Wonder if he'll have another opportunity of slammin' another Browns fan on their head, again.

Thread Information