Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Faneca may not be in mini camp

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07110/779551-66.stm

Faneca may skip Steelers minicamp
    Friday, April 20, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin conducts his first minicamp this weekend, starting today, and he could be confronted with his first real issue as Steelers coach:

Will Alan Faneca show up?

Neither Faneca nor his agent, Rick Smith, returned phone calls to answer that question. But there are indications the All-Pro guard will not be in Pittsburgh this weekend.

He has attended none of the voluntary workouts with his teammates that began March 19. He is known to be unhappy with his contract that has one year remaining and with the pace of talks toward a new one. Smith said last month that he would no longer talk publicly about Faneca and that any comments about the player would have to come from "Rooney or Kevin Colbert."

Faneca is not yet required by contract to show up, even for this minicamp because it is voluntary. The first time Faneca or any other Steelers player must report is the weekend of May 11, when Tomlin continues his predecessor's practice of holding a required minicamp over Mother's Day Weekend. That's when a player can be fined for not showing.

Until then, the Faneca issue will fester. The Steelers have paid him a $1 million roster bonus that came due early in March.

There could be other Steelers who do not show today other than Faneca, but the turnout for their workouts the previous month generally has been good.

Tomlin will put his new team through two workouts on the field today, two more tomorrow and one on Sunday. No pads can be worn and, supposedly, there is to be no contact during the drills.
    Now Im sure Alan isn't happy that he hasn't received a new deal, hell I would be too whether I know the business or not. Im still not going to start bad mouthing the guy because he doesn't show up since it's voluntary. Do I think he should be there this weekend, yes I do, most definitely. I think it's important to get all the time in he can with the new offense, new coaches, and get back together with his teammates. I think it's important to put your best foot forward in a season coming up like we have with all the changes we've made.

On the same token, the guys been doing this for a long time, he knows how to prepare and get himself ready for the season so if he's not here this weekend, it won't be the disaster that some think it will be, IMO. Until I hear Faneca say something about the issue, I'll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 04-20-2007 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    On the same token, the guys been doing this for a long time, he knows how to prepare and get himself ready for the season so if he's not here this weekend, it won't be the disaster that some think it will be, IMO. Until I hear Faneca say something about the issue, I'll continue to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    That's actually a pretty good approach to this little non-issue at the moment. When it comes down it, I think he'll be there when it really matters. It doesn't seem like the type to hold out because of a contract issue

Reppin' 724
    If it was that important to be there....it would be mandatory.

I remember a few years ago when Burress didn't show up because it was voluntary and Steeler nation had a fit. Everyone should be treated equal, he's under contract to the team he should be there. If not, then he's no leader and really doesn't give a **** about this team.

I am reading conflicting reports... many sources are saying he is there, but he will not practice.

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday133 View Post

I remember a few years ago when Burress didn't show up because it was voluntary and Steeler nation had a fit. Everyone should be treated equal, he's under contract to the team he should be there. If not, then he's no leader and really doesn't give a **** about this team.
    So if your company throws out a "voluntary" session of something or other, that you won't be docked pay for missing, you're going to go? Who cares? If he doesn't show up to the mandatory ones, then I'll get ******.

House of Steel
    It is voluntary, so therefore, it isn't a big deal. I will start questioning him, if he doesn't show for the mandatory, cause if that happens, I will say trade his *** to a team for some picks for next year's draft or a good prized player. Burress pissed me off when he pulled that stunt Mother's Day Weekend back a few years ago.

My Mood
    Addicted
    If he doesn't show up to mandatories then I will be upset. Hopefully the Steelers and Faneca can get the issues resolved.

House of Steel
    You know what the issue is, the question is, will he be man enough to put his stubborn attitude to the side and finish his contract with the Steelers?

Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    So if your company throws out a "voluntary" session of something or other, that you won't be docked pay for missing, you're going to go? Who cares? If he doesn't show up to the mandatory ones, then I'll get ******.
    I'd like to know your opinion on Burress when he did the same thing.

Thread Information