Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul Posluszny for #1 pick?

Bookmark and Share
    It's good to see people pullin' for him. I agree that we need a pass rusher, but I think he would make a great Steeler. Like Brick said we could move Farrior to the outside. I think Farrior would be good outside. After researching some more and seeing what everyone else has posted I still wouldn't be upset if we got him.

I admit that I'm not very educated about the draft class, probably due to the fact that, in my younger years, I thought it was more important to be a drug addict than go to college(what an awesome decision that was!). So I don't follow college ball as much as I should. So, what are the pass rushing prospects that might be available. The only prospect that I've seen posted is Okoye and the "experts" are predicting he'll be drafted before #15.

Here's a cool vid of Puz stopping a run:

Last edited by RckyMtnStlrFan; 04-21-2007 at 02:01 AM.

Sig by BR7

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i really like poz, i think he's gonna be a very good nfl player, and i would love him in black and gold, but i think we have much more needs, if we draft him, fine, lets get woodly in the second, but i want anthony spencer, or timmons in the first round......
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    i really like poz, i think he's gonna be a very good nfl player, and i would love him in black and gold, but i think we have much more needs, if we draft him, fine, lets get woodly in the second, but i want anthony spencer, or timmons in the first round......
    Whoa!... Koopa backing three PSU players in one draft (Poz, Hunt, and Brown)!!! Why do I think you don't like PSU players... am I wrong?

This year I think you are like me... you respect them all, but can only justify Hunt. Poz and Brown are prolly both locks but not really a need/fit for us.

Factoid: If junior cornerback and high school blue chip recruit Justin King comes out as a junior in 2008 he will be the best corner in the draft... if not, he will be as senior. Watch for Derrick Williams too... but he has some work to do.
    Last edited by BB2W; 04-21-2007 at 01:51 AM.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i've never had a problem with psu players or the school, i may talk **** just to yank you chain, but other then that i don't have a problem with them because they ain't a threat to anything my longhorns do
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    i've never had a problem with psu players or the school, i may talk **** just to yank you chain, but other then that i don't have a problem with them because they ain't a threat to anything my longhorns do
    Funny, someday your Longhorns will hit a lull like Penn State did... I hope.

Draft Pick
    watching more and more film from poz last year I definatly see him as a ILB im going to have to see some film on him as a OLB because he defenatly got me sold on him being a ILB. I like Poz a lot and I wouldnt mind us taking him high. Very much Urlacher like.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime83 View Post
    watching more and more film from poz last year I definatly see him as a ILB im going to have to see some film on him as a OLB because he defenatly got me sold on him being a ILB. I like Poz a lot and I wouldnt mind us taking him high. Very much Urlacher like.
    And there isn't a team in the NFL that couldn't use an Urlacher.

Sig by BR7

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime83 View Post
    He played outside up until last year... of course that was outside in a 4-3. Poz will make plays all over the field no matter where he lines up. Shaw played middle until getting moved to defensive end.

Poz, can def play OLB or MLB the problem is he isnt a great blitzer, yet! He's such a great athelete i think thats something he can improve on. I think he is the safest defensive pick in his draft, by far!!!

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed

Penn State's Posluszny would love to play for Steelers

For those who are "pro Poz", here's a story you'll wanna read....

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_504204.html

By Sam Ross Jr.
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Paul Posluszny's dream is to trade the blue and white of Penn State for the black and gold of the Steelers.
    "I'd love to play for the Steelers," Posluszny said by cell phone from the airport in New Orleans, where he'd been for a pre-draft interview with the Saints. "I'd absolutely love to."
    But Pittsburgh is not a likely destination for the linebacker from Aliquippa. He's visited the Saints, San Diego Chargers and Denver Broncos. A sampling of mock drafts has him going to Carolina, the New York Giants, Saints or New England, all in the first round Saturday. If the Steelers, who have the No. 15 pick, go the linebacker route, they are expected to look elsewhere. "I talked to them at the combine, a sit-down interview," Posluszny said of the Steelers. "Other than that, at our pro day at Penn State, they had a couple of scouts, but nothing real major.

"Other teams had me talk to their linebacker coaches on the phone, or they'd come to Penn State and sit down and watch film. I'm hoping (the Steelers) know all they need to know."

At Penn State, Posluszny was the consummate leader, leaving with the school's all-time tackle record and multiple All-America recognitions, both athletic and academic, in addition to winning the Butkus Award as a junior and the Bednarik Award as a junior and senior.
    Former Steelers and Penn State linebacking great Jack Ham, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, labeled Posluszny as the best linebacker ever to play at Penn State during his junior season.
    Yet there is a wide variance in the assessments of Posluszny's pro prospects.
    "I know some teams in the league that have him graded in the third or fourth round," said Mike Mayock, the draft expert for the NFL Network, who despite that, expects Posluszny to be selected from the 22nd pick to the 32nd of the first round.
    "One of those playoff teams is going to sit there and say, 'Hey, smart, tough, fairly instinctive, clean off the field.' He can come in on day one -- the 4-3 team -- and play the weak outside linebacker and be a good player, but not a great player."
    Posluszny had toyed with the idea of declaring for the NFL draft after his junior season, but a knee injury suffered in the Orange Bowl helped guarantee his return to Penn State. He played with varying knee braces last season, although the injury did not require surgery.
    "I don't think he's a top-10 pick, but he'll go somewhere between 20 and 30," said Gil Brandt, the former Dallas Cowboys personnel man who analyzes the draft for NFL.com. "He's good, and he'll play a long time."
    Brandt mentioned a flaw in Posluszny's game that others have identified -- problems in pass coverage.
    "He didn't look good at the Senior Bowl in man coverage, and I asked him about it, and he said they're zone coverage people at Penn State," Brandt said.
    ESPN analyst Merril Hoge praised Posluszny's run-stopping skills.
    "He's very good in the box, his hands, he gets off (blocks ) well, he's got good feet," Hoge said. "He's not a very good cover guy. He gets beat a lot. That's an area where you can improve, though."
    Posluszny plans to spend the first day of the draft at home with his parents and family.
    "I'm sure I'll be nervous and live and die with every pick," he said. "I definitely want to keep it low key. But I know I'm going to get a chance. I'm looking forward to that, and I'm going to make sure I do the most with it."

Sam Ross Jr. can be reached at sross@tribweb.com or (724) 838-5144.
    Last edited by SteelersWoman; 04-26-2007 at 01:38 AM.

Thread Information