Thread: Athletes' To Babies for "Repair Kits?"

Bookmark and Share

Athletes' To Use Babies for "Repair Kits?"

From the article linked below. This is not a satire piece.
    PREMIERSHIP footballers are storing stem cells from their newborn babies as a potential future treatment for their own career-threatening sports injuries.
    They are freezing the cells taken from the umbilical cord blood of their babies as a possible future cure for cartilage and ligament problems. Stem cells can be used to regenerate damaged organs and tissue because they are the earliest form of cells.

Pretty wierd stuff. This practice will likely become standard for all newborns to have some back up cells to use for themselves. But using your kid's cells for yourself? I don't think thats a great precident for athletes.

Can you imagine the pressure this might create for elite athletes to have a baby if this became common? Not a great reason to start a family IMO.
    Last edited by Hawk Believer; 08-28-2006 at 07:03 PM.

Hopefully they get some type of regulation on this before it gets to far out of hand. My wife and I thought about doing this for our baby when he's born, but I would never think about using it for myself. Would that even work using your own babies cells from the chord?

Thread Information