Thread: Article: Steelers History with top 15 draft picks

Bookmark and Share

Article: Steelers History with top 15 draft picks

Found this article thought it was pretty interesting... and a scary reminder...

Since 1970, the Steelers have had 11 top-15 picks, but only one other time did they have the 15th overall selection. While I decide whether to spare you the agony of revealing who the other 1.15 was, how did the other first-half-of-the-round picks work out? Well ... not so good.

I mean, it started out good, but it was hit or miss from there (mostly miss ... like by a mile):

1970 - QB Terry Bradshaw (1st overall); future Hall of Famer;
    1971 - WR Frank Lewis (8th); in seven seasons never had more than 409 receiving yards;
    1972 - RB Franco Harris (13th); future Hall of Famer;
    1982 - RB Walter Abercrombie (12th); never broke 1,000 yards and averaged 4.0 ypc during a seven-year career;
    1986 - G John Reinstra (9th); I'll be honest, I got nothing (although this isn't encouraging);
    1987 - CB Rod Woodson (10th); arguably the franchise's best pick;
    1989 - RB Tim Worley (7th); Let's see, the 7th overall pick lasts three seasons and manages to run for fewer than 500 yards a season;
    1991 - LB Huey Richardson (15th); Yep, this is what the 2007 pick will forever be compared to. Those are some high standards;
    1992 - T Leon Searcy (11th); before last year, Searcy was the last player drafted from the University of Miami (Orien Harris broke the streak in '06 ... and was promptly released);
    1999 - Troy Edwards (13th); Good thing the team didn't already have Hines Ward on the roster ... oh, wait;
    2000 - Plaxico Burress (8th); Good thing the team didn't draft Troy Edwards with the 13th overall pick the previous year ... oh, wait;
    2004 - Ben Roethlisberger (11th); this pick, and the subsequent Super Bowl victory makes up for all the boneheaded selections that preceded it.

Makes me think maybe we ought to trade this pick... LOL

even though will need and will get a pass rusher without a doubt I think Pozluszny will be the safest pick, i wouldn't mind the pick at all, but that pass rush is critical for the type of defence we run.

totally agree even if farrior has to move back outside puz will be a probowler by his 3rd season at worst an he'd be LOVE as a hometown kid to play in the burgh

Rookie Free Agent
    4/12 that were good ...hopefully we can make it 5/13 after this draft and hopefully we wont get a pick this high for awhile. But seeing what we brought the past couple I have full confindence that we can bring a guy that wont flop.

Draft Pick
    ok ok but you have to look at all the facts. With the last 10 years of first round picks we got:
    2006 Santonio Holmes WR Ohio State
    2005 Heath Miller TE Virginia
    2004 Ben Roethlisberger QB Miami (Ohio)
    2003 Troy Polamalu SS Southern California
    2002 Kendall Simmons OT Auburn
    2001 Casey Hampton DT Texas
    2000 Plaxico Burress WR Michigan State
    1999 Troy Edwards WR Louisiana Tech
    1998 Alan Faneca G Louisiana State
    1997 Chad Scott

with the exception of Edwards and ScottI think we have nothing to worry about.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We usually do well with our day 1 picks, it's our day 2 picks that have stunk up the joint and done next to nothing over the last few years.

at least were not as bad as the jets

POKER LEGEND
    ya but second day this year we might get k-trains punter a cant miss

Thread Information