Thread: justice served.....crawford suspended

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

justice served.....crawford suspended

i'm kinda shocked that he got suspended, i thought stern would be a dick and do everything in his power to make tim duncan look like he was in the wrong.........so big time props to david stern for actually doing the right thing

NEW YORK (AP) - NBA referee Joey Crawford was suspended indefinitely by commissioner David Stern on Tuesday for his conduct toward Tim Duncan, who contends the official challenged him to a fight.

Crawford, regarded as a top referee, ejected Duncan from a game in Dallas on Sunday. He called a second technical foul on the San Antonio Spurs star while he was on the bench.

"He looked at me and said, 'Do you want to fight? Do you want to fight?"' Duncan said. "If he wants to fight, we can fight. I don't have any problem with him, but we can do it if he wants to. I have no reason why in the middle of a game he would yell at me, 'Do you want to fight?"'

Crawford's suspension will last at least through the NBA finals. He apparently will have to meet with Stern after that to discuss reinstatement.

"Joey Crawford's handling of this situation failed to meet the standards of professionalism and game management we expect of NBA referees," Stern said in a statement. "Especially in light of similar prior acts by this official, a significant suspension is warranted.

"Although Joey is consistently rated as one of our top referees, he must be held accountable for his actions on the floor, and we will have further discussions with him following the season to be sure he understands his responsibilities."

The prior act Stern noted likely refers to the 2003 Western Conference finals, a matchup involving the same teams as in Sunday's game. Crawford called four technical fouls in the first 10-plus minutes, leading to ejections of then-Mavs coach Don Nelson and assistant Del Harris.

Crawford also called a technical in a recent game against Duncan, who said Sunday that Crawford has a "personal vendetta against me."

Duncan was called for his first technical foul Sunday with 2:20 remaining in the third quarter for arguing about an offensive foul. Crawford hit him with the second technical 1:16 later after Duncan was on the bench laughing about a call that went against the Spurs.

With Duncan gone, the Mavericks rallied to beat the Spurs, ending San Antonio's chance of earning the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference.

Speaking to a pool reporter before Duncan spoke, Crawford was asked about Duncan thinking he had done nothing to warrant the ejection.

"That's his opinion," said Crawford, adding that Duncan referred to him with an expletive. "Is that nothing?"
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Addicted
    I'm glad they suspended the guy. He was completely out of line. When he called the second T (I was down the bar TV was muted) I thought maybe Tony Parker was being called for some remark because Duncan was laughing. I figured Parker had said something. Then I saw Duncan got it and it was like WTF? Duncan did not deserve it.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im surprised Stern suspended him too. Crawford has been a top notch official for a long time so I figured he'd just get a slap on the wrist.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I don't follow the NBA that much but from what I've heard and seen on ESPN over the past few years this is way over due. Referees dealing out T's for the stupidest reasons, calling phantom fouls and targeting certain stars. Its about damn time Stern got off his *** and did something.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I find this story funny. I would have laughed my *** off if Crawford would have actually stepped to Duncan like he was going to do something. Tim would have beat his ***.lol

this is hilarious....duncan could step on him...literally lol

Thread Information