Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mel Kiper's latest 4 round mock draft

Bookmark and Share
    Well, would you say that about brady quinn or jamarcus russell... my question is why troy smith... is it the Heisman Trophy or the fact that he played in a stronger program than the others (i know ND is a top notch program as far as prestige but we're talking football here)??? Im not sure why every year a guy like this is always thrown under the bus, usually scouts are wrong. its just a role reversal. i think they are still trying to make up for the days of guys like Akili Smith <---spell check...

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    Well, would you say that about brady quinn or jamarcus russell... my question is why troy smith... is it the Heisman Trophy or the fact that he played in a stronger program than the others (i know ND is a top notch program as far as prestige but we're talking football here)??? Im not sure why every year a guy like this is always thrown under the bus, usually scouts are wrong. its just a role reversal. i think they are still trying to make up for the days of guys like Akili Smith <---spell check...
    I just was never impressed with Troy Smith while watching him in college. As for Brady Quinn, I'm not a big Quinn fan myself. I think he is upside in the NFL is bette then Smiths but I don't think Quinn will be a great NFL QB. Hey its just my opinion. We won't know for sure about Troy Smith until he gets his chance.

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    Troy Smith in the fourth round???? Is he really projected to go that low?
    Yes, I believe that it could happen. I believe it is his size that is the major drawback (but I could be wrong). Charlie Ward also won the Heismann and went undrafted because he was undersized. People want that prototypical 6'2-6'5, 220-260, strong armed, quick thinking QB. Of all the leagues top QB's none of them are small. That's why Troy Smith will fall in the draft and will be a great pickup for someone willing to look beyond his size. IMO

Doug Flutie (5 ft 10 in, 180 pounds) was a small QB who proved the stereotypes wrong throughout his career. Fran Tarkenton (6-0, 190) 9-time Pro Bowler: 1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1975, 1976
    was also a small QB and I believe he is in the HOF.
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 04-16-2007 at 02:46 PM.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Yes, I believe that it could happen. I believe it is his size that is the major drawback (but I could be wrong). Charlie Ward also won the Heismann and went undrafted because he was undersized. People want that prototypical 6'2-6'5, 220-260, strong armed, quick thinking QB. Of all the leagues top QB's none of them are small. That's why Troy Smith will fall in the draft and will be a great pickup for someone willing to look beyond his size. IMO

Doug Flutie (5 ft 10 in, 180 pounds) was a small QB who proved the stereotypes wrong throughout his career. Fran Tarkenton was also a small QB and I believe he is in the HOF.
    2 things...

1. Good point about ward.. im not sure... im a lil younger but i thought he decided to enter the NBA before that but i was young when all that happened (good coice for him too!)
    2. I have to disagree with the " Of all the leagues top QB's none of them are small" ... Look at the stature of troy smith who can we compare that to... oh how about last eyars leading passer and 2 time probowler... DREW BREEZ 6'ft TALL, i hear what your saying yeah big guys have a EASIER time adjusting to the NFL... but if you can play you can play and Smith can flat out play... i hope he doesnt get boned cause scouts think he is too small.
    Jeff Garcia-6'1
    Trent Green-6'3
    Mike Vick-6'0
    Kurt Warner-6'1
    ALL Multiple time pro bowlers none have had too shabby careers... its not proto-typical but effective!!!

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    OK there is only one qb below 6 feet in the NFL which is Senac Wallace and i like the 3rd round pick we dont need a RB

And dont start to bash Vick i dont have the time to get into that with anybody, PLEASE!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzburgh55 View Post
    OK there is only one qb below 6 feet in the NFL which is Senac Wallace and i like the 3rd round pick we dont need a RB
    What does wallace have to do w/ anything??? he said there arent any top qbs in the league that are under the proto-typical 6'3-6'4+... and i REALLY hope we adress running back w/ one of our 2 4th round picks unless hunt or bush are still around in the third!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonbay View Post
    I can deal with everything but taking Troy Smith , no need to waste a draft on position that is locked down with a solid starter and even though him a solid back up . Maybe a 6th or 7th then I wouldnt mind but 4 nahh I dont want them to do it
    Yeah, I mean Troy Smith? Do we really need a back-up when we have two of the best in Charlie Batch and Brian St. Pierre. That's a bad pick IMO and I doubt it happens.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kgreen View Post
    Yeah, I mean Troy Smith? Do we really need a back-up when we have two of the best in Charlie Batch and Brian St. Pierre. That's a bad pick IMO and I doubt it happens.
    Did you just say St Pierre is good

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Do you think Troy Smith might switch to WR in the NFL? I think thats real possible.
    ala hines ward, randel el, michael robinson, matt jones, brad smith....definite possibilty

Thread Information