Thread: QB controversy brewing in the desert?

Bookmark and Share

QB controversy brewing in the desert?

The Cardinals got a steal this year in the draft with selecting Matt Leinart as the 10th overall pick of the draft. I personally saw this as a great opportunity for Leinart given that the Cardinals already had a somewhat "legitimate" starter at the QB spot. Leinart would now be able to come into the league and learn from an accomplished veteran, Kurt Warner, and slowly take over the offense in the desert.

Well, after holding out for the first few weeks of camp and claiming the Cardinals got lucky when he fell to the 10th pick, he felt he deserved more money than what was on the table. This didn't sit well with me especially since the rumors had surfaced that Leinarts heart wasn't really into football but more into being a movie star! I have heard Leinart could be a modern day Jim Brown and will walk away from the game to pressure a career in Hollywood. Given his agent handles more of the Hollywood type the stars seem to be lining up to support this case.

Moving forward, Leinart finally inked his deal and reported to camp just before the Cardinals were to face the Patriots. I didn't think Leinart would play after only being in camp a few days, but he proved me wrong. His first performance in preseason wasn't really very great, but he did execute a nice drive just before the half to help the Cardinals get their only 3 points of the game. His final numbers were 4/11 for 45 yards with no TD's and no INT's. These are definitely not numbers to be writing home about but seemed to be right on target missing most of preseason and showing up to camp just before leaving for New England.

Let's take a look at this past weekend against a tough Chicago defense (yes I know it's preseason so the D probably isn't all that tough at this point). Leinart entered the game late in the second half and he looked like he needed a bigger helmet because his head was already getting to big for the one he was wearing Before entering the game, he told Green "Call anything!" Green did just that! Leinart did nothing but complete 15/21 (71%) for 144 yards and a TD with no INT's. Wow! He's only been in camp for less than two weeks; he shouldn't be putting these numbers up against any defense in the league yet!

So why the controversy? Leinart's numbers his first 2 games equate to 19/32 (59%) 1 TD, 0 INT's... Kurt Warner 19/33 (69%) 249, 2 TD's and 1 INT. Warner has been mediocre for the past 2-3 years and every since his thumb gave out he has never returned to his MVP form. Yes Warner has threw a couple TDs this preseason but that was more of a gimme due to a mix-up in the Steeler secondary and playing against the backups against the Steelers so they wouldn't lose their home opener in their new house. If Warner continues to throw his dead ducks and forces his receivers to come back to catch the ball, Leinart could easily move in and take over the number 1 spot. Leinart has been simply stellar and is only going to get better! If the Cardinals come out the gate and drop a few of the first five games look for Green to make a move and get their new Star in and make things happen.

The Cardinals final game of the preseason against Denver is something to watch. If Leinart comes out and tops his numbers look for an uproar from a hungry Cardinals fan base or at least from what there is of a fan base

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Warner is mediocre at best over the last few years..he's gone from Superbowl MVP to journeyman QB. He throws WAY to many interceptions and has a case of fumbleitis alot of the time so yeah, if the cards start to falter alittle, I see a good case for Matt to take over the helm sooner than maybe expected.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I can see Leinart taking over by mid season. It won't be easy, but they might as well.

I doubt Leinart will start this season, unless things go really badly for the Cardinals. He's a rookie. It's extremely rare to find a rookie QB who is ready to start in the NFL. Warner has been more than decent for the Cardinals, and should benefit from finally having a great RB. Besides, this is just the preseason, and I'm assuming Leinart has just faced second string defenses.

If you're a Cardinals fan, you shouldn't hope to see Leinart starting, because it will probably mean that you've lost alot of games, and the coaches are giving up on Warner.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan87
    I doubt Leinart will start this season, unless things go really badly for the Cardinals. He's a rookie. It's extremely rare to find a rookie QB who is ready to start in the NFL. Warner has been more than decent for the Cardinals, and should benefit from finally having a great RB. Besides, this is just the preseason, and I'm assuming Leinart has just faced second string defenses.

If you're a Cardinals fan, you shouldn't hope to see Leinart starting, because it will probably mean that you've lost alot of games, and the coaches are giving up on Warner.
    Just for the record, I'm no Cardinals fan! It just so happens it's really the only football news I get to hear about here in Arizona. With the Cardinals drafting Leinart, it's all we hear about is Leinart did this, Leinart did that... he's becomiong a rock star around here.

He definitely won't start the season, but if Warner is injured early or they do start losing some games... it'll be interesting to see Leinart take over. I'm sure he's no Big Ben, but he's probably better than an Eli.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler
    Just for the record, I'm no Cardinals fan! It just so happens it's really the only football news I get to hear about here in Arizona. With the Cardinals drafting Leinart, it's all we hear about is Leinart did this, Leinart did that... he's becomiong a rock star around here.

He definitely won't start the season, but if Warner is injured early or they do start losing some games... it'll be interesting to see Leinart take over. I'm sure he's no Big Ben, but he's probably better than an Eli.
    Great recap AZ. I am definately in the camp that thinks that a young QB is better off watching the game a season or two before he gets thrown to the wolves. But in I think the situation is very different if the QB goes in earlier to replace an injured veteran rather than just replacing him because the veteran isn't playing well. I think its easier on the young QB psychologically because he doesn't have the akwarness of taking his mentor's job, the pressure from the fans to show he is immediatley better than the veteran, and as much pressure on himself.

In Leinart's case, he might not get as much of a break from the fan though because of the way he held out.

We are definately watching his development with a wary eye in Seattle. He looks to be the best candidate for being the future best QB in the division.

Thread Information