Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How we ended up drafting Big Ben.....

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

How we ended up drafting Big Ben.....

In 2004, the Steelers really liked QB's Phillip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger but Rivers stock had risen so much the Steelers figured Ben would be gone. So the Steelers started zeroing in on OT Shawn Andrews. In fact they thought it would be best if they traded down for him, draft rooms can take crazy mood swings. About that time Dan Rooney walked into the room. He started asking one scout what he thought of Roethlisberger. Rooney put the scout on the spot in front of everyone and the guy told his true thoughts on Ben. Then Rooney reminded everyone that he had once passed on a franchise QB......Dan Marino....and he hasn't had many worse regrets in the game. He told the leaders in the room to do as they wished but to at least consider what he had just said. The rest is history.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

i never knew that. arent we glad we got him now?
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

House of Steel
    When we past up Dan Marino, I was shocked as hell. I think the whole Steeler Nation was shocked. We all know the history that could of happened had we gotten Marino. The poor guy never won a Super Bowl in Miami. I would put my life savings on this one, had he been a Steeler, I bet you we would have won at least 2 maybe 3 more Super Bowls under his belt. I know deep inside when you watch him speak on the NFL Today, he says nothing but praises about the Steelers. You know deep down, I think he wished he played for the Steelers and I am sure he knew, he would be wearing a ring on his finger. Marino is Roethlisberger's friend and mentor, what a great way to learn from a hell of a legend. Marino in my book is a Champion, ring or not.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Once Ben got passed the top 5 picks I was getting real hopeful that he'd fall to us, I was praying that he'd be there. I didn't want to see us pass on a franchise guy if we had the chance but God knows when it would come up again.

Im glad we got him, I hope he finishes his career with us !

We would have drafted Marino if he wasn't snorting an 8 ball worth of coke in Oakland.

Reppin' 724
    If only Rivers could have fell to us.....

House of Steel
    why you say that?

Reppin' 724
    B/C Rivers actually works in the offseason....Ben just hits the celebrity talkshow/golf/party circuit, with B-listers like Mario Lopez and Carson Daly.

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday133 View Post
    We would have drafted Marino if he wasn't snorting an 8 ball worth of coke in Oakland.
    Who wasn't snorting an 8 ball worth of coke back then? We still shoulda drafted him....I knew that and I was like, not even alive yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    In 2004, the Steelers really liked QB's Phillip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger but Rivers stock had risen so much the Steelers figured Ben would be gone. So the Steelers started zeroing in on OT Shawn Andrews. In fact they thought it would be best if they traded down for him, draft rooms can take crazy mood swings. About that time Dan Rooney walked into the room. He started asking one scout what he thought of Roethlisberger. Rooney put the scout on the spot in front of everyone and the guy told his true thoughts on Ben. Then Rooney reminded everyone that he had once passed on a franchise QB......Dan Marino....and he hasn't had many worse regrets in the game. He told the leaders in the room to do as they wished but to at least consider what he had just said. The rest is history.
    I had never heard this story before Diesel, thanks for sharing! The one thing that we all can get from this story is that we all can learn from our mistakes...

I think I was like 8 years old when the Steelers passed on Marino so I don't really remember it

Thread Information