Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Lebeau: This will be a big week for us

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_467954.html

By Mike Prisuta
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Sunday, August 27, 2006

The game was over, but Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau wasn't about to stop coaching.
    "I've already talked to a lot of our guys as we came in from the field that this is a really important week to grow on the practice field," LeBeau said after Friday night's 16-7 preseason loss in Philadelphia. "This will be a big week for us, this last week of the preseason."

The Steelers conclude the preseason Thursday night against Carolina and open the preseason Sept. 7 against Miami.

The first-team defense didn't allow a touchdown for the first time in the preseason. The Steelers also registered a preseason-high three sacks, all against starting quarterback Donovan McNabb.

"We did a better job on third down," coach Bill Cowher said.

The Steelers held the Eagles to a preseason-low 31-percent success rate on third-down conversions (4 for 13).

But cornerback Ike Taylor dropped two interceptions, and linebacker Larry Foote dropped one. And cornerback Ricardo Colclough surrendered a 61-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter.

"I thought we made some strides," LeBeau said. "We dropped those interceptions, and any of those plays could have made the difference. And we gave up one big one. I think a lot of those things we can learn and grow from."

0-for-August

The Steelers are one loss away from their first winless preseason under Cowher.

They fell to 0-3 in the preseason for the first time under Cowher on Friday night.

"I look at halves with our groups," he said. "The preseason, to me, is about your first units, how efficient they are out there. And, once that takes place, then, to me, it's about an evaluation of personnel.

"We're trying to make the right decisions on the 53-man roster, get experience for the people that will be playing roles that could change, so it's invaluable experience for them to see what their role might be. So, that, to me, is what it's about.

"And, at the same time, you're trying to win the game, but I think you still have to prioritize what you're looking for as you come out of it."
    We're showing signs of life on Defense with each week but we still gotta get that 3rd defense stiffened up so we can get off the field. And we have to stop dropping interceptions when they are right in our hands.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I thought we did a much better job on 3rd down this past game. But those INT's we could have had hurt! The D hasn't played too bad this preseason so I'm not too concerned with that.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im anxious to see our secondary this year, with Ike having another year under his belt and to see our safeties work together...

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    If we had those INT's It would have been a Blowout win for the Steelers In my opinion

The coaches need to put Ike through the catching drills with the WR's or just sit him in front of the ball throwing machine all day. Dropping would be interceptions is the only knock I have against his game right now, of course it pads his passes defended stats, but converting those to INT's could result in a lot more point production!

The D really stepped it up this past game, 2 or 3 of those 3rd down conversions happened early in the first quarter so they eventually calmed down a little and the backups did a good job of holding on 3rd down as well.

House of Steel
    I am very anxious about our secondary which keeps improving drastically as the pre-season wears on. However, I am a little concerned with Ike Taylor's Butterfingers. This guy better shore up the dropped interceptions. He makes me mad at times when he can pull the ball in.

I really want to see Anthony Smith get the rotation with Tyrone Carter at Strong Safety. Anthony Smith and Superfly Troy Polamalu are about to become the best safeties duo in the NFL next season. I have very high praises for Anthony Smith. I am telling you that vicious hit he put on the kickoff return was rattling me for awhile. That kid is a monster. That is STEELERS FOOTBALL!!!

Thread Information