Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers cornerback battle takes a confusing turn

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Steelers cornerback battle takes a confusing turn

personally i think the media is being retarded on this. they know mcfadden can play, they just want ricardo to get out there so they can see if he can play

PHILADELPHIA -- Bryant McFadden was supposed to be involved in a fight for one of the cornerback positions, and he is. Just not the one he expected.

Instead of battling veteran Deshea Townsend for the starting spot at right cornerback, McFadden suddenly finds himself fighting with Ricardo Colclough to keep his spot as the No. 3 corner in the Steelers' defense.

In one of the more curious maneuvers of training camp, McFadden has gone from being the team's nickel back and a cornerback with starting potential to splitting time with Colclough, a former No. 2 draft choice in 2004 who hasn't been one of the six defensive backs in most of the team's dime defensive packages
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06239/716742-66.stm
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Addicted
    I'll be pretty ticked off if they put Colclough ahead of McFadden!!!

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    It should go like this
    1.Deshea Townsend
    2.Bryant McFadden
    3.Ike Talyor
    4,Ricardo Colclough

My Mood
    Addicted
    I would put Ike ahead of McFadden right now blitz. But I do think McFadden can win one of the starting spots by the end of the year.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Its just Cowher trying to keep the competition going and keep everyone on their toes. McFadden has earned that 3rd CB spot but players have a tendancy to get complacent when they arent challenged.

Atleast IMO

My Mood
    Addicted
    From what I have read they just wanted to get another look at Colclough.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Gotta give the guy every chance to try and do something good to make his case for a roster spot..and it keeps everyone on their toes too.

McFadden is a lock to be a backup and will be taking away probably Townsends spot as the season goes on. The dude is from FSU, the top cornerback school in the country (IMO)! You can't keep him on the sideline for to long.

Hmmm...only a little love for Ike, and none for Coke. Remember that everyone was saying EXACTLY these same things about Ike at this time last year, trying to figure out why he was on the team, where he fit in the scheme of things, etc, etc...he then went on to have a Pro Bowl caliber season last year.

Cowher has already clearly stated that Coclough had a great camp, made leaps and bounds, and that is backed up by the fact that he got the start over McF in the Eagles game (although Bryant will get the start in the Pathers game). That 60 yard bomb against Coke? One play. Ike was smoked a few times last year...Hell, even Deion Sanders (Whom I hate, but he was a great shut-down corner) got smoked from time to time.

Give the kid a chance...Ike was just about as productive in his first two years (Read: not at all) and then he blossomed. We should be happy we have that much talent at the position...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ike got smoked his first year, but his second year he showed alot of progress...by now he's turned into one of the better CB's in the league IMO...but Coc hasn't shown enough IMO. He has a flash or 2 now and then but he's not closing speed and often ends up out body position when covering his opponents.

Thread Information