Tailgate Coordinator

Post Tomlin likes Ike

Tomlin effusive in praise of Taylor

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_501528.html

Subscribe
    By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, April 7, 2007

Don't look now, but new Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and cornerback Ike Taylor are becoming joined at the hip.

Tomlin has made a point of singling out Taylor as a player the Steelers can't do without, one season after former coach Bill Cowher removed Taylor from the starting lineup for five games for giving up too many big plays.

Instead of giving up on Taylor, Tomlin is building him up. At last month's owners meetings, Tomlin presented his case for Taylor to the national media, and even ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. is singing Taylor's praises.

"Here's a guy who could be a star who fell back," Kiper Jr. said. "He needs to have a big-time year."

Now more than ever, Tomlin needs Taylor to be successful.

In fact, considering how Tomlin has already gone out on a limb in support of Taylor, it isn't a stretch to say that Tomlin needs Taylor to have a big 2007 campaign.

"That's coming from the head coach, so that means a lot," Taylor said last week while taking a break at the Steelers' voluntary workouts. "A lot of people are saying one thing, and Coach Tomlin is saying, 'This is what I think.'

"We've got a new coach, a new season coming up, and I'm looking forward to it."

Of course, the Tomlin/Taylor love affair could vaporize if Taylor doesn't uphold his end of the bargain and become a shutdown corner again. However, there's plenty of evidence to suggest that Tomlin, a former secondary coach at Tampa Bay, knows what he has in Taylor, despite his dropoff in performance last season.

Taylor is one of the biggest and fastest corners in the NFL. He's a 6-foot-1, 191-pounder with long arms who ran a 4.28 40 at his college's Pro Day. He plays left corner in a league in which left corners are hard to find and more difficult to replace.

Left cornerbacks are almost as important as quarterbacks and left offensive tackles. Because most quarterbacks are right-handed, their first look is to the left side of the field. Left corners are expected to shut down the other team's top wide receivers, who more often than not, line up on the left side.

Wherever the other team's top receiver goes, that's where Taylor goes.

Taylor is also the team's highest-paid defensive back. The Steelers have made a significant financial investment in Taylor, and it's up to Tomlin to unlock his talent.

"I've got all the physical aspects. It's just preparing myself mentally 110 percent. Fundamentals -- that's all it really boils down to," Taylor said.

"I talked with (Vikings Pro Bowl safety) Darren Sharper. He played with Coach Tomlin (at William & Mary) and Coach Tomlin coached him in Minnesota (as the defensive coordinator). It was nothing but good words coming from Darren. He said you're going to get coached.

"He's going to do simple things with you, but that's what people kind of look over, the simple things, and that's Coach Tomlin's philosophy. That's what's in my head from the last thing Coach Tomlin said: It's all about the simple things.''

Bad season or not, like it or not, left side or right side, Taylor is the Steelers' best cornerback and Tomlin's pet project.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This is a good move by Tomlin. Ike's confidence was severely shaken last year so he needs all the support he can get. He's been putting in the time this year in the offseason and working hard to get better. I fully expect him to have a real good year for us.

Great Article!
    I have always been a fan/supporter of Ike. He has all the tools to be a shutdown corner and his work ethic is top notch. I fully expect Ike to bounce back this upcoming season.
    It's also great to see Tomlin showing trust in Ike and building a professional relationship with him.

Thanks House of Steel for the sig and avatar

Gold Standard

Ike has the part that can't be coached.......speed

With some quality secondary coaching I too believe in Ike. This would lead you also to believe that CB is not going to be our first selection in the draft.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    With some quality secondary coaching I too believe in Ike. This would lead you also to believe that CB is not going to be our first selection in the draft.
    Maybe this would actually shut up the "experts" who keep saying we need to draft a CB in the 1st round. Well ok, maybe not

I'm glad to see Tomlin taking this approach with Ike. I wasn't happy with how Cowher handled him last year and I think the guy has a lot of potential to be great and hopefully Tomlin can make him just that!

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by BBG7 View Post
    I'm glad to see Tomlin taking this approach with Ike. I wasn't happy with how Cowher handled him last year and I think the guy has a lot of potential to be great and hopefully Tomlin can make him just that!
    I agree...

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Maybe this would actually shut up the "experts" who keep saying we need to draft a CB in the 1st round. Well ok, maybe not
    doubtful, they still won't shut up about a move to a 4-3 even though, colbert and tomlin have said straight up they are committed to the 3-4

i like ike a lot, i look at this past season as his sophomore slump......he'll be back, and now that he has a good coach that actually gives a **** about him he'll be back better then ever
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    This is a good move by Tomlin. Ike's confidence was severely shaken last year so he needs all the support he can get. He's been putting in the time this year in the offseason and working hard to get better. I fully expect him to have a real good year for us.
    I agree he needs the confidence boost , and this was a SMART move by Tomlin. But if we don`t get pressure on the opposing QB, Ike and all our DB`s will suffer. I believe that was part of Ikes problems last season, and now our best LB is gone.

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

our pass rush will be explosive next year with harrison and (timmons/spencer/moss) lol whoever

i hope ike has a pro bowl year to shutup all you doubters

Thread Information