Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former Patriots WR Darryl Stingley dies.....

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

Former Patriots WR Darryl Stingley dies.....

Updated: Apr.5, 2007, 8:34 am EDTCHICAGO (AP) -- Former New England Patriot receiver Darryl Stingley, who was paralyzed after a hard hit during an NFL exhibition game nearly 30 years ago, has died. He was 55.

Stingley was pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital early Thursday after he was found unresponsive in his home, according to Tony Brucci an investigator with the Cook County medical examiner's office.

An autopsy was scheduled. The cause of death was not immediately available.

Stingley played football until August 12, 1978, when the 26-year-old receiver went up for a pass during an exhibition game and was hit from behind by Oakland Raiders' safety Jack Tatum. The hit broke Stingley's neck and left him a quadriplegic for life.

Stingley was born and raised in Chicago. He was a star running back at John Marshall High School. He attended Purdue on a football scholarship.

In 1973, he was a first-round draft pick of the Patriots, owned by Robert Kraft.

"On behalf of the Kraft family and the entire Patriots organization, we're deeply saddened by news of Darryl Stingley's death, and our thoughts and prayers are with the Stingley family at this time," said team spokesman Stacey James.
    That was one helluva hit he took by Tatum to become paralyzed. 'RIP' Darryl Stingley....may your soul finally be at peace.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    I think what makes this even worse is that it was an "exhibition" game. They're supposed to be more for fun than anything, right?

Reppin' 724
    Man....I think Tatum should be charged with murder(j/k), his hit literally killed the guy.

Gold Standard
    No doubt the hit shortened his life. Quadraplegics generally don't live really long lives. Hopefully the NFL has taken some of the financial burdens from Darryl and his family. I realize that its a dangerous occupation and that the NFL is not directly responsible for injuries that occur. However, we are also talking about one of the most profitable sports organizations in the world. IMO a 6 billion dollar a year industry should be able to take care of people like Darryl who are permanently disabled from something that occurred on the football field. God bless him and his family!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Tailgate Coordinator
    RIP Darryl.

Heck on Tatum.

I'm A "Champion"

Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    Man....I think Tatum should be charged with murder(j/k), his hit literally killed the guy.
    Yea, I'll always remember "The Assassin" he was a hitter at Ohio State and he made more then enough attempts to kill Len Swan and you know what, the league didn't give a ****.
    Coach Knoll greatest quote " there's a criminal element in the NFL".
    I saw it and I knew the player's, so I don't need anyone to tell me any different.
    Half the tackles that Tatum as well as others used have been outlawed from all football. Tatum and a hell of a lot of Ohio State defensive players were taught to tackle with the helmet.

Rookie Free Agent
    RIP Stingley and to have your young career end in a preseason game think of how sucky that would be , I bet Tatum felt like **** for a long time.

RIP Darryl Stingley, you are finally at rest.

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Waterboy
    I remember watching that hit on the news the night that it happened. Tatum and Stingley had quite a feud going for many years. Everytime that the Patriots and Raiders played, Tatum vowed that he was gonna end Stingleys career. Tatum never apologized for the hit, nor did he ever visit Him in the hospital. That was the end of the "Criminal Element" that Noll hung on the Raiders safetys (Atkinson and Tatum) I'm sure glad that they have cleaned up the game, no helmet to helmet contact anymore.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Unfortunately getting hit like that is just part of the game, especially back in the day like that when players didn't let up in preseason the way they do a lot of times nowadays.

RIP dude

Thread Information