Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign 11 free agents...

Bookmark and Share

Steelers sign 11 free agents...

Monday, April 30, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have signed 11 rookie free agents, including two running backs, a fullback and three wide receivers and a player from IUP.

Minnesota's Gary Russell heads the list of backs that includes Baylor's Paul Mosley and fullback Gijon Robinson of Missouri Western State.

IUP's 6-9, 315-pound left tackle Jason Capizzi joined guard-center Darnell Stapleton as rookie offensive linemen signed after the draft.

Three rookie wide receivers -- Eric Deslauriers of Eastern Michigan, Eric Fowler of Grand Valley State and Chris Jackson of Millsaps -- were added as was tight end Cody Boyd of Washington State. Defensive lineman Derrick Jones of Grand Valley State and long snapper Jared Retkofsky of TCU round out the list of free agent rookies who came to terms with the Steelers after the draft.

link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07120/782226-66.stm

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Well we should definitely find some good RB depth from that group plus who we already have signed. Most of these players don't usually make the team, a few will make the PS, but occasionally you'll find a gem like Willie Parker, in the midst of all the Rookie FA's.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Gary Russell was a badass at onetime. Plus Minnesota has a good track record of sending RB's to the NFL lately. I think Marion Barber III and Maroney prove that. I just hope Russell shows something and makes the team as a backup. I'm not expecting much but he did have a bright future at onetime.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    Wow--BOTH RBs sound like they could be real difference makers....

http://www.baylor.edu/Lariat/news.ph...ry&story=41656

By WILL PARCHMAN
    Sports writer

It's no secret that behind every good passing game is an effective rushing attack. Running back Paul Mosley has provided the Bears with some legitimate muscle at the position.
    Mosley, a 235-pound senior from Austin, will share the starting running back position with junior speedster Brandon Whitaker, and Mosley is the hammer of the duo. The two split time at running back last season, and the move paid dividends in the form of more rushing lanes for both backs and more room to pass for Bell.
    The offensive line is a variable in the equation, but even if the big guys up front aren't at their best, Mosley will still grind out positive yardage and inevitably fall forward. His seven touchdowns in 2005 attest to his ability to bulldoze defenders in the end zone, which was a quality the Baylor offense lacked for many years.
    Mosley has never missed a game due to injury in his Baylor career, playing in 34 games over his first three seasons. Reliability is a chief concern among coaches when running backs are the topic, and Mosley has this quality in spades. Even in an offense that stresses the pass, Mosley is a constant threat to pound out those few necessary yards.
    Mosley rushed 21 times for 64 yards and a touchdown and also caught two passes for 15 yards in a 23-13 win over Iowa State
    Rushed 22 times for 133 yards in Baylor's 16-13 overtime loss to Texas A&M.
    He has shown some explosiveness this season, running for over five yards 23 times this season and going over 10 yards 11 times.
    Mosely played in just one series, gaining 24 yards on four chances.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...a-russell.html

Russell ran for 1,130 yards on 186 carries with 19 touchdowns as a sophomore.
    Russell rushed 164 times for 1,045 yards (6.4 yards per carry) and 18 rushing touchdowns in 2005.

Last edited by SteelersWoman; 04-30-2007 at 06:26 PM.

Here is a link that breaks down all the steelers picks plus talks about all of the 11 undrafted free agents.

http://www.steelers.com/MediaContent...ease_76088.doc

I will also post this as a seperate topic, to make it easier to find
    Last edited by okiesteeler; 04-30-2007 at 06:39 PM. Reason: added last line

I just heard on the NFLN that there are 12 UDFA's in the Hall of Fame...

The NFLN is doing the All-UDFA Team (current players) and Willie was the runningback...

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BB2W View Post
    I just heard on the NFLN that there are 12 UDFA's in the Hall of Fame...
    I think Donnie Shell was undrafted as well and he is third alltime on the Steelers career INT list. He should be in the Hall as well.

House of Steel
    This sounds very exciting. This makes up for the draft and all the question marks. I say we had a excellent draft. I give it a B+ now. I can't wait to get this season started. I am sure all of you are anxious too.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I'm hoping for RB depth also and hopefully Capizzi can show something as well.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information