Thread: Don't completely rule out 4-3 Steelers defense. It's going to happen

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Don't completely rule out 4-3 Steelers defense. It's going to happen

The NFL is a no-nonsense league, and Mike Tomlin is a no-nonsense coach.
    Whatever inclination Tomlin may have had to convert the Steelers from their traditional 3-4 base defense to a 4-3 in his first season was tempered by the fact that he doesn't have the personnel to pull it off.
    2008? Maybe.
    2009? Perhaps.

But not in 2007, not when the Steelers don't have enough speed-rushing defensive ends and an active, space-eating middle linebacker to do more than experiment with the 4-3.
    "Really, I think my philosophy in terms of style of play falls in line with what's been done in Pittsburgh," Tomlin told reporters last week at the owners meetings, when he made it official that the Steelers will stick with the 3-4. "Whether you do it out of a four-man or a three-man line, the attacking personality and mentality is the same."
    And convenient.
    The Steelers' defense will continue doing what it does best, led by players best suited for the 3-4.
    That doesn't mean the Steelers, who retained veteran defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, won't present 4-3 looks from time to time. Fact is, the Steelers already have.
    Last season, when LeBeau moved ends Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel inside and turned outside linebackers Joey Porter and Clark Haggans into defensive ends on passing downs, the Steelers adopted a 4-3.
    "Some successful defenses do it week-to-week," Tomlin said. "I think New England's done it for quite some time. Believe me, Dick's played some 4-3 or some four-down (linemen) packages.
    "Football is football. I think sometimes X's and O's are overrated. It's about us putting our guys in position to play well."
    Bottom line: The Steelers lack the personnel to play 4-3 all the time.
    Even if Smith moved to defensive tackle full-time next to Casey Hampton, which he could do with relative ease, that would still leave the Steelers short at defensive end.
    Keisel was impressive in his first year as a starting defensive end, but he isn't the prototypical pass rusher (such as Tampa Bay's Simeon Rice and the Colts' Dwight Freeney) needed to make the 4-3 work as an every-down defense.
    The Steelers need more pass-rushing ends, or linebackers who can play end, or ends who can play linebacker. They are likely to address those needs in this year's draft.
    At linebacker, James Farrior and Larry Foote would be the top candidates to start in the middle. But that would be asking them to play away from their strengths, which is attacking the run and making short drops in the passing game, and forcing them to play more in open spaces and make deeper drops.
    Of course, Tomlin was smart enough to hint at the owners meetings that it wouldn't hurt if Steelers opponents were forced to prepare for both the 3-4 and 4-3.
    The Steelers could take a page from the Baltimore Ravens, who confused the Steelers when they mixed up their pass-rushing schemes.
    Baltimore, which combines elements of the 3-4 and 4-3, had pass rushers coming from everywhere.
    Trevor Pryce, who played defensive end on most rushing downs, moved inside against the pass. Sometimes end/outside linebacker Terrell Suggs rushed from the oustide; sometimes he would loop inside. Pryce and Suggs also lined up together.
    Just because the Steelers haven't changed their basic defense doesn't mean that Tomlin can't have the best of both worlds: a 3-4 foundation with its fair share of 4-3 looks
    I couldn't agree more,but this is got to be a challenge for any coach. It's either one or the other, but to be able to put together a team that could bring both, opens a whole new deminsion on the game. i love the Idea, but its going to take fans/players a couple years to get use too.If it works great, if not, then we scream.
    this is got to be the 1st idea that i heard that I like best
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

House of Steel
    Nice Article, Capt

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Good read Capt.

Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand
    Of course, Tomlin was smart enough to hint at the owners meetings that it wouldn't hurt if Steelers opponents were forced to prepare for both the 3-4 and 4-3.
    I say let everyone keep writing these articles on whether we're switching over to a 4-3. That will definitely keep everyone on their toes and keep them guessing. The knowledge passed down to Tomlin from Dungy and even Gruden combined with da man LeBeau will have the rest of the NFL......SKEERED!!!!!

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

how does this guy know tomlin isnt gonna fall in love with the 3-4 and the athletes he has to work with for it?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Who says we're actually going to ever convert to a predominant 43? Just because Tomlin knows the 43 doesnt mean he doesnt like the 34 also. He and Lebeau appear to be working well together so who's to say we don't stick with what works and continue drafting and bringing up players in a system that's been dominant for so long ?

Whether we have the personnel or not, changing something just because is never a good reason and would make zero sense.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar

3-4 vs 4-3

Anyone think about the cap implications. Oh switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Not only the cap implications but the drafting strategy that would have to change. He's sticking with the 34 for a reason. We're built for it, we have the best coach in the league for it, and we're just flat out damn good at it.

We've beaten this topic to death

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Not only the cap implications but the drafting strategy that would have to change. He's sticking with the 34 for a reason. We're built for it, we have the best coach in the league for it, and we're just flat out damn good at it.

We've beaten this topic to death
    no joke....this topic chas been going on since before they hired Tomlin. He will do what he feels is best for the team and he has stated that he is sticking with the 34 for now.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

the 3-4 is what we are suited for right now, and tomlin knows it. does that mean that in a couple years, we wont switch to a 4-3? not. in time, we will, but tomlin is smart, and knows its not a change we can make immediately.
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcurtaingal View Post
    the 3-4 is what we are suited for right now, and tomlin knows it. does that mean that in a couple years, we wont switch to a 4-3? not. in time, we will, but tomlin is smart, and knows its not a change we can make immediately.
    Even making the change over time would be difficult. Given the steelers are always near the cap limit.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Thread Information