Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers keys to success in 2007/08

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Starter

Steelers keys to success in 2007/08

: In My opinion heres what the steelers need to do in order to make another superbowl run: Play hard hitting, physical football. Last year I didn't see that as much, usually nobody is more physical than the steelers and I noticed especially when they played the Jaguars and Rats that they Looked like they let themselves get pushed around. I think that had to do with Cowher not being as fiery and into the game as much as he was in years past, and I think Tomlin should be able to bring a swagger back to the defense.
    The other thing is to establish a more powerful running game. Obviously its hard to replace Jerome Bettis, But I think the use of both Davenport and Parker will make this possible, and it should open up the Play action pass to Ben, who I believe is at his best in the PA anyway.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I agree with you but I don't see it happening with the offense. The D, yes. We just don't have a power game on offense any more. I don't think most D's are afraid of Willie running them over.....lol And Davenport is a bigger back but I haven't seen a lot of power out of him IMO. We've added speed to the offense but have lost the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    I agree with you but I don't see it happening with the offense. The D, yes. We just don't have a power game on offense any more. I don't think most D's are afraid of Willie running them over.....lol And Davenport is a bigger back but I haven't seen a lot of power out of him IMO. We've added speed to the offense but have lost the power.
    I agree with you there. The D has to be mean this year and make a statement that when you play the Steelers you better play physical. On the other hand, the offense isn't going to be as physical as in the past. I have also heard the Steelers are going to go in the air a little more this year, which should only help our running game...but it's not going to be that physical run over the defenses like the Bus did, Willie is just not that type of back.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Gold Standard

I think it can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    First of all, Jeff Hartings played hurt a lot of the year and often crumbled like a deck of cards under a good bull-rush. Hard to establish O-line dominance when you are weak up the middle. That should change this year. Regardless of which guy wins the starting center job, there should at least be a little more resistence coming through the middle of our line.....that will help.

Second, Tomlin has made it quite clear that he believes that the good teams in todays NFL need 2 feature backs, not just one. Through the tons of articles that have been written since Tomlin won the job, it is my sense that he (Tomlin) also believes a bigger more stout RB would be the perfect compliment to Willie (just like most of us here at SA). I won't be shocked if the Steelers pick a big power runner in this years draft. The Cedric Humes experiment never got off the ground. IMHO.

Just a note to SteelerSteve. We won Super Bowl XL 2 years ago. The Colts won Super Bowl XLI this year. We will be trying to reach Super Bowl XLII this year.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post

Just a note to SteelerSteve. We won Super Bowl XL 2 years ago. The Colts won Super Bowl XLI this year. We will be trying to reach Super Bowl XLII this year.
    Thanks for the correction

Waterboy
    run the ball, play defense.

with our passing game and weapons if we do the aforementioned no team in the afc except the chargers have the personnel to even compete with us.

www.lunaticshirts.com
    I WANT TO PISTOL WHIP DOUCHMANZEDAH AND HORSE TEETH!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    - Don't turn the damn ball over

- get the pass rush back to form

- don't get behind early in the game, that throws off your entire game plan

- run the ball come hell or high water

- ST coverage units need to learn how to tackle again

- Get Heath Miller involved more each week.

Pretty much everything last year sucked donkey nuts so there's a lot of room for improvement all around.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    - Don't turn the damn ball over

- get the pass rush back to form

- don't get behind early in the game, that throws off your entire game plan

- run the ball come hell or high water

- ST coverage units need to learn how to tackle again

- Get Heath Miller involved more each week.

Pretty much everything last year sucked donkey nuts so there's a lot of room for improvement all around.

Sums it up right there. It all depends on the ability to run the ball well, and stopping the run. I think it all rides on our OL.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Addicted
    The defense most definitely needs to get back in form, hard hitting, in your face, make them bleed, bone crushing D!!! We definitely need to get the OL playing as one line and not folding like a cheap suit. The running game, we need the big bruising back whoever it is, it don't matter. Once we get that, teams will forget about Willie and they'll also forget his speed and that he can break it from anywhere on the field. I believe Roethlisberger will come back to form, especially with a simplified playbook to work with. That right there should make him at ease and also make it easier to put last season behind us.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    The defense most definitely needs to get back in form, hard hitting, in your face, make them bleed, bone crushing D!!!

With a healthy, rejuvenated Palomalu, a hungry Anthony Smith, a nasty James Harrison, and maybe a youthful Anthony Spencer. Our D can get back to making people dread playing the black and gold because of the black and blue they feel afterwards.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Thread Information