Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers keys to success in 2007/08

Bookmark and Share
    • Stay Healthy

Well, that was a short list.

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    As for Clark Haggans he is ok but a upgrade is needed in my mind.
    Bingo. I think so too. He is just okay. In the 3-4 defense that we play we are counting on getting most of our pressure from one of the outside linebackers, depending on which one they send on any particular play. We need both OLB's to be aggressive pass rushers, not just one. It has nothing to do with **** talking as some people have implied. You remember when a defensive player really cleans someones clock.....at least I do. I can remember huge hits made by lot's of our defensive players but none by Haggans that really stick out in my mind. If we draft a DE/OLB in the first round (Spencer) I would love for that player to start opposite of James Harrison. With Farrior and Foote still up the middle. IMHO.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    With a better more consistent pass rush will do wonders for the secondary.
    That would definitely be the key, something we didn't have last year. As far as the secondary goes, we've got the talent just need better coaching and technique (BlackGold4vr touched on this in the Steelers draft section).

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    I can remember huge hits made by lot's of our defensive players but none by Haggans that really stick out in my mind. If we draft a DE/OLB in the first round (Spencer) I would love for that player to start opposite of James Harrison. With Farrior and Foote still up the middle. IMHO.

If Harrison can keep his motor running and stay healthy.....Haggans is more of a average, dependable guy, you'll get what you need but nothing more.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard

Look at how we feel about Anthony Smith

After only a couple of games watching Anthony Smith punish wide receivers with bone crushing hits....he has that reputation. Troy Polamalu also has the reputation of delivering knock-out blows. What exactly is Haggans reputation? We don't NOT remember Haggans because he doesn't talk ****, he just doesn't do much on the field that makes you wanna rewind the Tivo and watch it over and over again. If Haggans had been delivering the kind of "jacked-up" hits that fans like to see we would all be more excited about his presence on the field!
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 03-28-2007 at 04:39 PM.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

After only a couple of games watching Anthony Smith punish wide receivers with bone crushing hits....he has that reputation. Troy Polamalu also has the reputation of delivering knock-out blows. What exactly is Haggans reputation? We don't NOT remember Haggans because he doesn't talk ****, he just doesn't do much on the field that makes you wanna rewind the Tivo and watch it over and over again. If Haggans had been delivering the kind of "jacked-up" hits that fans like to see we would all be more excited about his presence on the field!
    What an absolutely awful assessment of a player's talent...

So basically, defensive players are only useful to the Steelers if they can lay a mean hit one someone?

Wonderful logic. When was the last time you saw Champ Baily make a bone crushing hit? I certainly can't remember one...I suppose he would be of no use to the Steelers?

I'm dying to read your response in which you tell me that Haggans was a starting OLB from 2001-2003

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by BBC View Post
    What an absolutely awful assessment of a player's talent...

So basically, defensive players are only useful to the Steelers if they can lay a mean hit one someone?

Shouldv'e known that would invite a response from you. It is nice to see that Clark allows you to get off his stick long enough to answer messages.

Yes, generally defensive players do something that is called hitting. Often the players who do this the hardest, establish reputations as being "great players"! Teams like to put players on the field that can deliver big hits.... ESPN shows a segment called "Jacked Up". I assure you this is not a show that emphasizes the fundamentals of gentle tackling techniques. Are you to now have us believe that defensive players are not expected to deliver big hits? What kind of fairy football do you like to watch? You amaze me with your statements.
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 03-28-2007 at 05:23 PM.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

--Jack Lambert

--Joe Greene

Shouldv'e known that would invite a response from you. It is nice to see that Clark allows you to get off his stick long enough to answer messages.
    I guess I should just make up some stats like he's started since 2001-2003?

Just defending a player that for whatever reason, doesn't get recognition. I guess he hasn't made enough bone crushing hits (is there a statistical category for that?).

Yes, generally defensive players do something that is called hitting. Often the players who do this the hardest, establish reputations as being "great players"! Teams like to put players on the field that can deliver big hits.... ESPN shows a segment called "Jacked Up". I assure you this is not a show that emphasizes the fundamentals of gentle tackling techniques. Are you to now have us believe that defensive players are not expected to deliver big hits? What kind of fairy football do you like to watch?
    Interesting that you left out the biggest part of my post that completely debunks your cute little theory that only hard hitting defensive players are worth a damn.

How many times has Champ Baily (you know...one of the top three defensive players in the league) been on "Jacked Up?" Sean Taylor may have the biggest reputation for laying hard hits, but I doubt you'll hear anyone call him great.

You amaze me with your statements.
    Maybe that's why you left out the portion about Champ. You were just amazed?

Who knows...you're the same "Steelers fan" that couldn't even tell us who our starting linebacker was three seasons ago.

Gold Standard
    Another hilarious thing about debating anything with you is that you feel every word that you utter is "worth" mentioning. Must a person address every syllable that leaves your mind? That is a scary prospect!

Thread Information