Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ron Cook: Faneca is taking care of business -- as usual

Bookmark and Share

Ron Cook: Faneca is taking care of business -- as usual

Ron Cook: Faneca is taking care of business -- as usual
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Don't worry about All-Pro guard Alan Faneca missing the Steelers' voluntary offseason workouts. Please repeat after me: They are voluntary, and this is the offseason. Big Al will be ready to go in July. He's always ready to go.

You want something to worry about?

Worry about where Faneca will be for the 2008 season.

I'm thinking the desert with old friends Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm.

It's nothing personal.

It's strictly business.

Don't believe the nonsense that Faneca is mad because the Steelers hired Mike Tomlin as coach. Sure, he opined that he would have preferred the team stay in-house and go for Whisenhunt or Grimm, now the head coach and assistant head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. He's human, isn't he? Who among us likes change? Who isn't more comfortable with what he or she knows?

Don't buy the garbage that Faneca is angry because the Steelers cut Joey Porter. Yes, Porter was extremely popular among his teammates, the emotional leader of a veteran team just a year removed from a Super Bowl. But Faneca, Hines Ward and the other vets who expressed their dismay about Porter's release understand the nature of the salary-cap system. They'll get over their angst. They know there's only so much jack to go around. If Ward, for instance, hadn't asked for so much a few years ago, there might have been enough to keep Porter.

This really is about business.

It's pretty safe to say Faneca wants to be the NFL's highest-paid guard. He has every right to feel that way; he has made six consecutive Pro Bowls. Beyond that, he has been just about the perfect player, a trusted team leader, a captain. He has missed just two games in nine seasons. He has volunteered to play tackle when the Steelers have had injuries, risking his All-Pro and Pro Bowl status. He even has been huge in the community with his charity work.

But it's just as safe to say the Steelers aren't especially interested in meeting Faneca's price. It seems much more likely that they'll pay the really big money to safety Troy Polamalu, who, like Faneca, can become a free agent after the '07 season. It's not because they don't like Faneca as a player. They love him. It's because the market for guards has become obscene.

It was one thing for the Minnesota Vikings to give Steve Hutchinson a seven-year, $49-million deal last year, including $16 million guaranteed. Like Faneca, Hutchinson is an elite player. But this offseason, the Cleveland Browns gave a similar deal to Eric Steinbach, only with more guaranteed money, $17 million. The Buffalo Bills did virtually the same contract with Derrick Dockery and guaranteed $18.5 million. Neither Steinbach nor Dockery has made a Pro Bowl.

The Steelers' philosophy long has been that just because another team is stupid doesn't mean they have to be stupid, too. It's pretty hard to argue with their reasoning or their success. They already have signed free-agent guard/center Sean Mahan -- late of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- as insurance in case Faneca leaves. They'll still make Faneca their best offer on an extension before training camp, but it's hard to believe it will be for what he wants.

If it does come to that, here's hoping Faneca turns down the offer without going through the farce of a training-camp holdout. That's a waste of everyone's time. The Steelers aren't going to blink. They never blink in negotiations. Faneca might hold out, but it's inevitable that he'll come back in the end, play out his contract and then sell himself to the highest bidder.

The Cardinals, for instance.

What?

You don't think maybe there already has been a wink and nod between Whisenhunt, Grimm and Faneca, do you?

I hate being so cynical.

It makes sense that the Cardinals would be interested in Faneca. With Whisenhunt orchestrating the plays and star talent Matt Leinart, Edgerrin James, Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin at the skill positions, the team is just a quality lineman or two away from having a terrific offense. Faneca would be a great fit and would be paid accordingly.

It's not because Whisenhunt and Grimm like him so much.

It's strictly business.
    Post-Gazette

Meh, typical Ron Cook article, no real news. It was good having ya Alan.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    It is a business, whether anyone wants to admit it or not. Faneca does deserve what he wants, hes proven his worth over the years. Sadly other teams have jacked the price up by overpaying for lesser talent, it is a business.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard

Great post

Yes, I believe this will be Faneca's last year in black and gold. He is one of the best guards in football but we won't be able to afford him past this year. Perhaps that is why Blalock would be such a good pick-up in the 2nd round. I know Koopa (because the guy is from Texas) doesn't think he will be around at the 46th pick but I think he could be. Everybody is replaceable! I appreciate the good things Alan has done for us and I will wish him success wherever he goes, until he plays against us. Faneca is really going to break the bank of whoever signs him next year. If he makes the pro-bowl again this year it will be his 7th straight, what kinda price will that bring? Tomlin really needs to sift through all the O-line bench warmers and figure out which ones are keepers and which ones are duds. Clear out some of the dead weight and start restocking our O-line with real road graters again!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Yes, I believe this will be Faneca's last year in black and gold. He is one of the best guards in football but we won't be able to afford him past this year. Perhaps that is why Blalock would be such a good pick-up in the 2nd round. I know Koopa (because the guy is from Texas) doesn't think he will be around at the 46th pick but I think he could be. Everybody is replaceable! I appreciate the good things Alan has done for us and I will wish him success wherever he goes, until he plays against us. Faneca is really going to break the bank of whoever signs him next year. If he makes the pro-bowl again this year it will be his 7th straight, what kinda price will that bring? Tomlin really needs to sift through all the O-line bench warmers and figure out which ones are keepers and which ones are duds. Clear out some of the dead weight and start restocking our O-line with real road graters again!

Yeah, we better make sure we have a replacement ready to step in and fill the Faneca void in 08, or I assure you, we WILL NOT make the playoffs.

With the talented team we have, we can't afford to waste a year or 2 looking for his replacement, we have to have one ready when he leaves.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Rookie Free Agent
    That would suck if we lost Alan Faneca , hopefully he choses winning over money . Although moneys speaks loudly , winning = true happiness , I bet Edge thinks to himself at least once a week about chosing Indy over money and what could have been .

House of Steel
    He is going to Arizona you watch.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Been saying this for a while. I could of wrote that article.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

There is no doubt that he will end up somewhere else in '08 (I will guess Arizona, but who knows) Let's hope he has a great year and we can get ready to find a replacement next year.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersfaninPhilly View Post
    Been saying this for a while. I could of wrote that article.
    You're Ron Cook??? I knew there was a resemblence!
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Reppin' 724
    If he goes to the Cardinals, you can bet your sweet *** I will be buying his jersey.

Thread Information