Thread: Tomlin sticking with the 3-4

Bookmark and Share

Tomlin sticking with the 3-4

I read this on Steelers.com. I think it's the right move! We need a good draft and with a little depth the Steelers will once again have the best D.

From Steelers.com:

Tomlin spoke to media while at the owners meetings and indicated that the Steelers will stay with the 3-4 defense.

"I know what it does to offenses, I really do," said Tomlin. "It's all about the personnel you have. We have the best 3-4 people in the world, I think. That's what we're going to do."

Sig by BR7

House of Steel
    Good read

I think Tomlin has a lot of deep respects and admiration for Dick LeBeau. Thank goodness.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im sure we'll see some of his Tampa 2 style mixed in here and there. After all we have run the 43 at various times on any given week in the past but Im glad we're sticking with the 34, I just love the aggression and attack mentality that it gives you.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    See Tomlin is smart enough to know the Steelers are built for the 3-4 so all that worrying was pointless. As for the 4-3/Tampa 2 I do hope its mixed in at times. The more you can throw as an offense the better chances to confuse it.

i think 3-4 is a more professional defense, mabey its just becasue i like it better, but the best defenses run a 3-4. its not common in college, 4-3 is pretty much the college defense so the complexity 3-4 brings just seems more like a pro style imo

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    See Tomlin is smart enough to know the Steelers are built for the 3-4 so all that worrying was pointless. As for the 4-3/Tampa 2 I do hope its mixed in at times. The more you can throw as an offense the better chances to confuse it.
    I agree!!
    Trying to switch or change some or all of the defense would have been too drastic for Tomlin's first season in Pittsburgh and he made the smart call.

Something that also needs to be recognized is that even when Tomlin does make the switch to the 4-3 Dick LeBeau is a defensive mastermind and he would have no problem coaching that scheme.

House of Steel
    I would be all for the hybird of a mix of 3-4, 4-3, and Tampa 2 to confuse the hell out of the offense. I think we are about to witness the best defense we ever seen in the history of the Steelers. DAMN I can't wait til training camp.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think 3-4 is a more professional defense, mabey its just becasue i like it better, but the best defenses run a 3-4. its not common in college, 4-3 is pretty much the college defense so the complexity 3-4 brings just seems more like a pro style imo
    It's certainly more successful, considering three of the past four Super Bowl winners ran the 3-4 defense.

Thread Information