Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: zach pillar

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Draft Pick tony hipchest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    281

    zach pillar

    from 99 draft
    Grading System
    Zach Pillar | OG | Florida | SEC
    Selected by Tennessee Titans in round 3, pick 20 (#81 overall)
    Ht Wt 40 BP SS LS VJ BJ Grade
    6'4" 331 5.19 40 - - - - 5.79
    He is another former defensive lineman that has made the adjustment to OT. He is a pretty natural athlete and is probably a better pass blocker than run blocker at this stage. He has good feet and overall range and can slide and mirror at the point of attack. He does a good job of using his hands and getting separation with the defender and he would be classified as a finesse type player. He is not what you would call a mauler and brawler and can get into some trouble when he goes head to head against a real physical player. He needs to improve his overall strength and explosiveness and there are some minor questions about his durability, but he is a solid football player that should be a safe pick.
    should we pick up this guy? may not matter, i think we did on a 1 year deal (bottom line-nfl network)

    anyways we definitely need players who can pass block and wont get our qb killed (anyone remember tommy maddox lying lifeless on the field in nashville before he was hauled off in an ambulance?)

    a move like this could pave the way for a potential trade of faneca if not a back up plan if he decides to bolt for greener pastures.

    this could be a good thing. i got pretty sick of hearing lard asses who never even bother participating in conditioning drills telling willie parker he needs to learn to "wait for his blocks".

    maybe it was these cows who needed to learn to get their fat asses up and out of their stance and make a block in a timely fashion.

    of course, i dont really think this but there are 2 sides to every story. no one can deny that our line was built with jerome bettis and kordell stewart in mind. their skills are a far cry (and almost complete opposites) from ben and willie.

  2. #2
    Living Legend Steelersfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,116
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Bens first two years he did a good job avoiding the rush but was no speed guy that's for sure. Last year I think he got off to a bad start with the INT's that he started hanging on too long and taking some sacks. He did seem to start moving around better towards the end of the year though so I have hope for him yet....lol

    Willie and Bettis? You can't get much opposite of that! I do think the line had some legit complaints at times last year. Willie is still young and learning while Bettis had been around and knew where and when to hit holes.

    I don't know much about Pillar but damn the guys pretty big! I don't like this though:
    He does a good job of using his hands and getting separation with the defender and he would be classified as a finesse type player.

  3. #3
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    6'4" 331
    yeah that's a big boy alright ! We don't need finesse players though we need mean,though,nasty, maulers who'll go out and take care of business so we'll see.

  4. #4
    The Absolute Truth Koopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Kingsville, Texas
    Posts
    9,321
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    yeah that's a big boy alright ! We don't need finesse players though we need mean,though,nasty, maulers who'll go out and take care of business so we'll see.
    not really, cause we ain't that kind of team anymore, we are gonna be a more balanced team, and we are gonna need linemen that can pass block not just try to run over ppl
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

  5. #5
    2nd String steelcurtaingal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    your mind
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    yeah that's a big boy alright ! We don't need finesse players though we need mean,though,nasty, maulers who'll go out and take care of business so we'll see.
    thats the typical steelers way.
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

    thanks HOS for the sig!

  6. #6
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    An offensive line full of finesse blockers is not going to cut it here dude We need guys that can knock you on your *** in the running game and stand firm in the passing game. We've always had guys on our OL that could run you over and pass block well so I'd fully expect that tradition to continue. Tomlin says "the nfl is a game attrition" , whoever wants it more whoever is more tough whoever works harder on the field and puts in the time can win in the league on sundays. That's what we need because last year we weren't even tough enough to walk into a Barbie Doll convention so we need to get back to that and get a kick *** tough OL mentality.

  7. #7
    Ambridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dale City, Virginia
    Posts
    1,212
    My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    An offensive line full of finesse blockers is not going to cut it here dude We need guys that can knock you on your *** in the running game and stand firm in the passing game. We've always had guys on our OL that could run you over and pass block well so I'd fully expect that tradition to continue. Tomlin says "the nfl is a game attrition" , whoever wants it more whoever is more tough whoever works harder on the field and puts in the time can win in the league on sundays. That's what we need because last year we weren't even tough enough to walk into a Barbie Doll convention so we need to get back to that and get a kick *** tough OL mentality.
    I remember hearing Tunch Ilkin say that "Run Blocking" brings out the Agressive-Angry side of an offensive line and that that mentality will transfer better into pass blocking......while if a team/offensive line tends to throw more than run the agressive side doesn't usually click as well when it's time to run.



  8. #8
    Tailgate Coordinator
    Stlrs4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    New Bedford, Pa.
    Posts
    3,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambridge View Post
    I remember hearing Tunch Ilkin say that "Run Blocking" brings out the Agressive-Angry side of an offensive line and that that mentality will transfer better into pass blocking......while if a team/offensive line tends to throw more than run the agressive side doesn't usually click as well when it's time to run.
    Good post. I was hoping that we would hire Tunch as our OL coach.

    I'm A "Champion"

  9. #9
    Draft Pick tony hipchest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    281
    it looks like the lions are the ones to sign him for 1 year. however this scouting report goes to show you cant go on the written word alone. i believe he was the young starter for the sb titans and blocking for e.george when he rushed for 1800 yds.

    it also goes to show if faneca is not in our future plans, there will be options out there. they may not be the greatest options but its not like we will be fielding a line with just 4 men.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •