Thread: Tomlin believes Porter is replaceable

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Tailgate Coordinator

Tomlin believes Porter is replaceable

Tomlin believes Porter is replaceable

Monday, March 26, 2007
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

PHOENIX -- No Joey Porter? No problem. The new man in charge has high hopes for the linebackers who will form the backbone of his new defense next season.
    "We're going to get great outside linebacker play," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin predicted yesterday.
    Some of the Steelers' best players on defense have played outside linebacker in the past generation since the team switched to a 3-4 defense from the old Steel Curtain days.
    Players such as Mike Merriweather, Greg Lloyd, Chad Brown, Kevin Greene, Jason Gildon, Porter and others have dominated defensive play in Pittsburgh over two decades.
    Tomlin does not see a reason why that should change after the Steelers released Porter, whose 60 sacks rank fourth on their career list.
    "Can we identify who's going to be the playmaker at this point? No," Tomlin said. "Are we concerned about that? Really, no. That's the nature of football. Whoever we replace Joey with, the fans and the people who are concerned and have a stake in it will learn to love those guys and appreciate those guys for who they are. I know that's going to be a fact."
    They already know the linebacker Tomlin expects to replace Porter.
    "I have an idea of what I think James Harrison is capable of and I think it's going to be more than enough," Tomlin said of the Steelers' top backup on the outside the past three seasons.
    Harrison, who was on the street when the Steelers signed him before the start of their 2004 training camp only because Clark Haggans had a broken hand, has done well as a backup and during his eight starts.
    But can he play every down, every game?
    "He'll answer those questions inside the white lines," Tomlin said. "I'm in Minnesota last year and everyone's talking about how miserable our linebacker corps was and how we had no chance to put together a solid defense because of our linebackers. And those guys went out there and played rock-solid football."
    Tomlin, on the job for two months, said he loves the speculation surrounding not only who will succeed Porter at outside linebacker but all other debates about his team.
    "I love those questions. It provides good talk this time of year, the speculation. It gives people something to worry about, and you appreciate that. You hope they enjoy it, but at the same time the wheels keep turning."
    He said he wasn't surprised by the reaction -- some of it negative from his players -- to Porter's release, and the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker's subsequently signing a five-year contract in Miami that included a $12 million signing bonus.
    "I've been a part of that since I've been in this league. What chair you sit in doesn't really matter. I've always mentally put myself in the chair that I sit in now.
    "I've been part of some unique situations as an assistant coach. I was a part of the Jon Gruden/Keyshawn Johnson situation. I was a part of Warren Sapp leaving in free agency. I was a part of releasing John Lynch and things of that nature. "It's all a rerun to me, it really is, and the reactions that go with it. Yes, I'm the head coach now but it's nothing I haven't seen before. Change is part of this business, it's going to happen. Sometimes it's going to be more unpleasant than others, but it's the nature of what we do."

I'm A "Champion"

Gold Standard

Nothing earthshattering here

Great post. It is obvious that Tomlin thought Porter was replaceable or he would still be here. We have already beat this topic to death. Do I think James Harrison can play? Of course I do. Harrison can be a downright nasty defensive player. The biggest question mark that remains unanswered with the departure of Joey is who will be the emotional and vocal leader? That question won't get answered until the team faces a little adversity and we see who steps up. We'll see......

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

of course he is

he is replaceable, but he never will be forgotten. i think our defense will be jsut as good noiw as it was last year and hopefully better . by the way, nice sig, blackgold!
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

My Mood
    Angry
    Change is part of this business, it's going to happen. Sometimes it's going to be more unpleasant than others, but it's the nature of what we do."
    At least Tomlin isn't clueless about the effects of releasing good/popular players from the roster and I'm guessing he's aware of the "Change Factor" that comes with him since he's the new Sherriff in town.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Sounds like damage control to me. Making sure he lets everyone know that releasing a player like Joey is not going to be a problem, we'll see.

The main question does indeed remain as to who will be the identity of the team in the locker room and on the field, who will take over as the go to emotional leader. Should be fun to see !
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 03-26-2007 at 10:24 AM.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Sounds like damage control to me. Making sure he lets everyone know that releasing a player like Joey is not going to be a problem, we'll see.

The main question does indeed remain as to who will be the identity of the team in the locker room and on the field, who will take over as the go to emotional leader. Should be fun to see !
    absolute agreement.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 03-26-2007 at 10:24 AM.

www.lunaticshirts.com
    I WANT TO PISTOL WHIP DOUCHMANZEDAH AND HORSE TEETH!

Well he said all the right things... Just have to wait and see how it plays out...

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Originally from Johnstown, PA...now trapped in Bungleland
    Thanks for posting this Dom. As TG said...time's gonna tell. I guess we'll all be finding out together.

Quote Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
    Thanks for posting this Dom. As TG said...time's gonna tell. I guess we'll all be finding out together.
    who else wants all questions answered (which would mean the season to start)?

I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I don't need Tomlin to tell me Joey Porter is replaceable. Hell all the LB's that have come and gone in the Bill Cowher era can tell me that. The 3-4 defense is designed to make the LB's stars (especially the OLB's). I still think the Steelers need to upgrade their OLB. There is no depth and Clark Haggans is ok but OLB in the 3-4 have to dominate. As for James Harrison who knows what he can do for a full season? I like Harrison but this will be his first season as a fulltime starter.

The Steelers need to draft some LB's thats for sure. If Tomlin/Colbert draft a former DE and turn them into an OLB (which the Steelers are famous for doing) they must hit a homerun. No Alonzo Jacksons.lol

Thread Information