Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin believes Porter is replaceable

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I don't need Tomlin to tell me Joey Porter is replaceable. Hell all the LB's that have come and gone in the Bill Cowher era can tell me that. The 3-4 defense is designed to make the LB's stars (especially the OLB's). I still think the Steelers need to upgrade their OLB. There is no depth and Clark Haggans is ok but OLB in the 3-4 have to dominate. As for James Harrison who knows what he can do for a full season? I like Harrison but this will be his first season as a fulltime starter.

The Steelers need to draft some LB's thats for sure. If Tomlin/Colbert draft a former DE and turn them into an OLB (which the Steelers are famous for doing) they must hit a homerun. No Alonzo Jacksons.lol

For the first time in a LONG time Im actually a bit worried about our current group as it stands now. Hopefully after the draft and once training camp starts that will change but right now we're looking at 2 starters, one of whom hasn't been healthy all year since he started basically and the other is inconsistent at best.

If we ever needed a homerun hit in the draft it's this year at DE/LB. Really we need homeruns in every pick on Day 1 and as many possible on day 2 because at this point there's no telling who we may not be able to resign.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post

For the first time in a LONG time Im actually a bit worried about our current group as it stands now. Hopefully after the draft and once training camp starts that will change but right now we're looking at 2 starters, one of whom hasn't been healthy all year since he started basically and the other is inconsistent at best.

If we ever needed a homerun hit in the draft it's this year at DE/LB. Really we need homeruns in every pick on Day 1 and as many possible on day 2 because at this point there's no telling who we may not be able to resign.
    Dude I'm so worried about the pass rush as it stands right now. I thought the pass rush was inconsistent last year with Joey Porter. To me thats the biggest question about this team right now is the pass rush. So injecting youth at the OLB spot is very important.

The Steelers should also think about drafting an ILB also. Not alot of youth or depth at ILB also. There is Rian Wallace but he is still so much an unknown. Hopefully Tomlin gives him a chance to see if he can contribute as a potential starter or solid backup at the NFL level.

Of course Porter is replaceable.
    Actually i think there are only a select few NFL players that aren't replaceable (Brady, Manning, Urlacher, Polamalu, Champ Bailey, Tomlinson, etc.). Now it is very important that Harrison or who ever we have take Peezy's OLB spot plays well and to the level expected of a starting linebacker (especially a Steelers' linebacker) but with that said Porter is replaceable.

Thanks House of Steel for the sig and avatar

Dude I'm so worried about the pass rush as it stands right now. I thought the pass rush was inconsistent last year with Joey Porter. To me thats the biggest question about this team right now is the pass rush. So injecting youth at the OLB spot is very important.

The Steelers should also think about drafting an ILB also. Not alot of youth or depth at ILB also. There is Rian Wallace but he is still so much an unknown. Hopefully Tomlin gives him a chance to see if he can contribute as a potential starter or solid backup at the NFL level.
    im concerned about our team as a whole, not jsut in the LB position. but i stand to reason that we have went through changes before, and came out just fine. i have faith we will do so here.
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

That's a good point about Wallace. When he did get the little playing time that he has under his belt he seemed to show alot of positives so Im hoping he gets a chance to show his stuff soon. Farrior is getting up there alittle bit now but he's still productive and I like Larry Foote so hopefully Wallace is able to fit into the plans too.

Gold Standard
    Who knows about the new guy they just signed? Florida State normally has very talented players. The guy was hurt and that took him out of the picture for a couple years but he might just be a beast in camp this year. I have heard some people call him training camp fodder, but you never know! He probably knows that this might be the only shot he gets so he might tear things up in camp. In my years as a Marine Corps Recruiter I learned that you can never judge a man's heart by what is on the outside. Meaning I saw plenty of studs who I thought would breeze through Parris Island, wash-out and conversely there were some who I thought wouldn't make it and they breezed through the training. I am not comparing Marine Corps bootcamp to playing in the NFL, but making a suggestion to never cast judgements on how much heart you think a person has or doesn't have. Marcello may surprise us all!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcurtaingal View Post
    im concerned about our team as a whole, not jsut in the LB position. but i stand to reason that we have went through changes before, and came out just fine. i have faith we will do so here.
    I'm not so worried about the offense. I think this offense has the potential to be one of the best in the NFL. Just as long as the OLine plays better then last year and Big Ben bounces back strong I would expect the Steelers offense to make some serious noise. We all know Willie Parker is one of the best RB's in the NFL now. The combo of Ward and Holmes at WR is going to be even better this year. Plus Nate Washington made strides as well. We have an all-pro talent at TE (all he needs is the ball thrown to him more).

As for the defense. The Dline is one of the best in the NFL and I don't think the secondary is as bad as some think. You would have to think Anthony Smith will be much better this with a year of NFL experience under his belt. So I expect Troy and Anthony to become one of the best safety combos in the NFL this year. As for Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden I think they could be very good corners in the NFL and I think Tomlin will help them greatly.

Which leads back to the LB's. Its the most important position for the 3-4 defense to fully max its potential. You need LB's that dominate and make plays. Which looking at this current group is good but not dominating in my eyes. Now maybe James Harrions comes in and nets 12 sacks and grabs 4 INT's. But right now who knows since he has never started full time. But thats the production the Steelers need from the OLB is double digit sack to go along with some INT's. Plus causing fumbles.

But even if James Harrison has the kind of year the Steelers still some youth at OLB. Plus it wouldn't hurt to inject some youth into the ILB as well.

I would go on about the special teams but I already wrote a novel.lol

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    That's a good point about Wallace. When he did get the little playing time that he has under his belt he seemed to show alot of positives so Im hoping he gets a chance to show his stuff soon. Farrior is getting up there alittle bit now but he's still productive and I like Larry Foote so hopefully Wallace is able to fit into the plans too.
    Both Farrior or Foote are solid ILB. I have no problems with them. But it would be nice to rotate another LB in there as well to keep Farrior and Foote fresh. Thats what I never understood about Cowher last year why he didn't give a guy like Rian Wallace more playing time to see if this guy is worth keeping around.

Gold Standard
    Since there is still a distinct possibility that the Steelers could draft Adam Carriker (although many on this site don't want to hear that). Would be interesting to see what kinda damage Brett Keisel could do from the OLB position. He says he likes playing LB and he is a big strong horse with a motor that don't stop. And Carriker is also a beast! All of these questions will be answered soon enough. After the draft is over we will have a good idea of the possible line-up variations that Tomlin will have to play with.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Who knows about the new guy they just signed? Florida State normally has very talented players. The guy was hurt and that took him out of the picture for a couple years but he might just be a beast in camp this year. I have heard some people call him training camp fodder, but you never know! He probably knows that this might be the only shot he gets so he might tear things up in camp. In my years as a Marine Corps Recruiter I learned that you can never judge a man's heart by what is on the outside. Meaning I saw plenty of studs who I thought would breeze through Parris Island, wash-out and conversely there were some who I thought wouldn't make it and they breezed through the training. I am not comparing Marine Corps bootcamp to playing in the NFL, but making a suggestion to never cast judgements on how much heart you think a person has or doesn't have. Marcello may surprise us all!
    Well players like Donnie Shell, Rod Smith and Willie Parker are examples of players that were not drafted but still went to star at the NFL level should prove to never doubt any player.

But I'm not counting on Church to become a star but I sure hope he does. I will be rooting for him to make the team. I like long shots and Church is a long shot at this point. I would be happy if he becomes a very good special teams player on the coverage units and a solid backup.

Thread Information