Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arron Sears, Guard, Tennessee

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Arron Sears, Guard, Tennessee

By Ed Thompson
    Scout.com
    Posted Mar 24, 2007

Projected as a first- or second-round pick in this year's draft, Tennessee offensive lineman Arron Sears provides his upcoming NFL employer with the option of using him at guard or tackle. Learn more about him in this audio feature from Scout.com.

Tennessee's star offensive lineman, Arron Sears, loves playing the left tackle position as he did during his senior year, but at the NFL level he knows that isn't where he's likely to line up. "I'm really getting the sense that most of the 32 teams are looking at me at the guard position because of my frame and being able to play down inside at the guard position," he said at the NFL Combine last month.

Sears also knows his versatility is an asset to a rookie entering the NFL since he could help provide depth at multiple spots right away.

"It's been tremendous being able to play on both sides, both tackle and guard, because if you know what the tackle is doing on one (left) side, you should also know what the tackle is doing over on the right; and also the same with the guard position."

Looking back on his college career, the 6-foot-3, 319-pound lineman picked out two defensive players who gave him the biggest challenge during his career.

"Quentin Moses out of the University of Georgia, he's pretty good with his speed. And Ray McDonald, he's pretty good with his leverage against the run."

This guy is considered one of the two best guards coming into this years draft. The other guy being Ben Grubbs. Wouldn't mind the Steelers landing either one of these guys. Interesting though that he mentions Quentin Moses as being challenging to play against. What happened to Moses? Overweight, slow, weak, out of shape.....he picked a really bad time to go to s**t. It will cost him millions!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Most teams that have talked to him have asked him to play guard. Is he better then Blalock and Beekman?

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard

According to the scouts he is

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Most teams that have talked to him have asked him to play guard. Is he better then Blalock and Beekman?
    These are the top 4 guards:

OG 1 Ben Grubbs SR 6-3/311/5.19 Auburn Eclectic, AL
    OG 2 Arron Sears SR 6-3.5/319/5.30 Tennessee Russellville, AL
    OG 3 Manuel Ramirez SR 6-3/326/5.19 Texas Tech Sugar Land, TX
    OG 4 Josh Beekman SR 6-1.5/313/5.42 Boston College Amsterdam, NY

These are the top 4 tackles:

OT 1 Joe Thomas SR 6-6.5/310/5.01 Wisconsin Brookfield, WI
    OT 2 Levi Brown SR 6-5.5/323/5.39 Penn State Norfolk, VA
    OT 3 Joe Staley SR 6-6/306/4.81 Central Michigan Rockford, MI
    OT 4 Justin Blalock SR 6-3.5/320/5.23 Texas Plano, TX
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Hes got the size.....wouldn't be bad maybe needs to get more upper body strength (21 reps-225lbs.) Most guys who've played tackle in college who aren't athletic enough can make it as a guard in the NFL.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard
    I think that the reason that Blalock and Beekmans names keep coming up on our message boards is because there is no point in talking about the top 2 guards or tackles because they will be gone by the time we take our second pick. Thomas and Brown will most likely be gone before our first pick. We could have a shot at everyone other than Brown and Thomas if we were going to take an O-lineman first. Because most of us think that we will take a defensive player first.....there will be a couple more of those top lineman gone before our second pick.

Gold Standard

Blalock and Ramirez had the most reps (40) @ 225

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Hes got the size.....wouldn't be bad maybe needs to get more upper body strength (21 reps-225lbs.) Most guys who've played tackle in college who aren't athletic enough can make it as a guard in the NFL.
    Obviously strength is not everything when it comes to O-lineman because the strongest guys are not listed as the top prospects. I would prefer that we draft a road grater, someone who is a great drive blocker who can take his man out of the hole and dominate in run blocking. We have a back who could lead the league in rushing if we could open up holes for him IMO.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    True......but do we need a G or a T? If you ask me I have no clue anymore. With the signing of Mahan and not knowing who will be our center let alone the right side of the line. It would be nice to have a tackle wo can play guard and center but not a guard who can't play either of those. Who knows whats going to happen with Faneca at LG, last we heard there was no progress on his contract. That doesn't mean he won't play but you never know what goes on in someones mind.

--Jack Lambert

--Joe Greene

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    blalock is a guard, and considered the best guard in the draft.............

i hope we get a good guard in the second to replace faneca
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

isnt blalock a guard?

edit: oops lol

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Obviously strength is not everything when it comes to O-lineman because the strongest guys are not listed as the top prospects. I would prefer that we draft a road grater, someone who is a great drive blocker who can take his man out of the hole and dominate in run blocking. We have a back who could lead the league in rushing if we could open up holes for him IMO.
    Thats true as far as rankings but I would want a guy who is strong. Especially as strong if not stronger then all the DT's he will have to face throughout the year. Road graders would be sweet as well as tackles who can pass block. Holes would be nice but I think as willie progresses his vision will get better also. The better his vision gets the faster he'll get (finding holes quicker and making a decision to pop outside quicker)

--Jack Lambert

--Joe Greene

Thread Information