Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cowher says future undetermined

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Cowher says future undetermined

Posted: Friday March 23, 2007 2:22PM

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher still loves talking about the nitty gritty of football, but it's hard to get away from what people really want to know.

Cowher, who resigned in February after 15 seasons and a Super Bowl victory, talked Friday to high school coaches at a clinic at the University of Tennessee. After speaking more than 30 minutes, one of the clinic participants asked him about his future.

Cowher, who turns 50 in May, said he wanted to spend more time with his youngest daughter, who is a sophomore in high school, and his wife at their home in Raleigh, N.C. His other two daughters are in college.

He hinted he might be interested in coaching again after his daughter finishes high school.

"I'll be there (with her) next year as well, this time next year," Cowher said. "I can tell you I will not take any jobs. I know there will be some offers."

Other than that he said he didn't have "a set plan."

Cowher said he needed to get better at golf and then joked that being at home with just his wife might make him want to get back to coaching.

"It was a great part of my life. I'm ready for something new," he said. "I love talking about football."

Cowher has signed on to be an analyst on CBS' Sunday "The NFL Today" studio show.

He said he wasn't sure he would miss coaching during the season.

"I don't miss this time of year because Pittsburgh never signed any free agents anyway," he said.

Cowher took other questions from coaches but didn't speak to reporters.

Cowher was a guest of Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer, whose staff also listened to Cowher's speech at the clinic.

Cowher told a story about cleaning out his desk in Pittsburgh and finding notes he made in 1992 when he was first hired. He had a list of candidates for some staff positions, including Fulmer as an offensive line coach. At the same time, Fulmer was promoted to head coach at Tennessee.

"So much for that guy," Cowher joked.
    Let's not take pokes at your old team Bill! I really hope he won't be one of these guys who will be 10X more critical of his old team than of any other. Show a little love for the Steelers Bill! Lord knows, lots of other broadcasters show affections for their old teams. (Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Chris Collinsworth, Tom Jackson to name a few).
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Angry
    My my my!! Isn't Bill the busy one??

Shouldn't he be at home doing family stuff like making love to his ugly wife Kaye and watching videos of his daughters basketball games??

I wonder if one of those old notes to himself said "Sometimes it's best just to STFU".

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Old billy boy will be coaching in 09 if not sooner. Feelers have been out and about doing there due diligence.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

"I don't miss this time of year because Pittsburgh never signed any free agents anyway," he said.

Why the angry face?

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambridge View Post

Shouldn't he be at home doing family stuff like making love to his ugly wife Kaye and watching videos of his daughters basketball games??

I wonder if one of those old notes to himself said "Sometimes it's best just to STFU".
    harsh but hilarious. i take it you wont be watching his nascar reality show????

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelersfaninPhilly View Post

Why the angry face?
    Don't you think that sounded like a slap at the Steelers?

They got him James Farrior a couple years ago.

They got him Kevin Greene.

We all know the Steelers have never been huge players in free agency but they have signed some players who became great stars for us. So we don't grab up a lot of the average players thrown onto the scrap heap....so what?

If he left with any kind of rift between himself and the Steeler FO he should not make that public knowledge. I think he leaves Pittsburgh with a good legacy behind him and I hope he doesn't tarnish that by taking pot shots at Steeler management. Thats all!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Don't you think that sounded like a slap at the Steelers?

They got him James Farrior a couple years ago.

They got him Kevin Greene.

We all know the Steelers have never been huge players in free agency but they have signed some players who became great stars for us. So we don't grab up a lot of the average players thrown onto the scrap heap....so what?

If he left with any kind of rift between himself and the Steeler FO he should not make that public knowledge. I think he leaves Pittsburgh with a good legacy behind him and I hope he doesn't tarnish that by taking pot shots at Steeler management. Thats all!

Truth hurt? Cause there was a rift.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I'd be surprised if he isn't back in the saddle by 2008.

Tailgate Coordinator
    So much for Cowher.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Addicted
    What BC said is a slap in the face to the Steelers. Funny how any other team would have fired him before he got that SB ring and this is what he has to say?

Thread Information