Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign free agent LB

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Steelers sign free agent LB

* The Steelers signed free-agent linebacker Marcello Church (6-1, 230), who attended Florida State. Church suffered a season-ending injury his senior season (2005) and did not participate in an NFL camp last year. At Florida State, Church finished with a career-high 26 tackles in both his junior and senior seasons. He saw action in 12 games as a senior, ranking third on the team in sacks with 4.5. Church also blocked two punts with the Seminoles.

from scout.com

One of those injured who is making a nice recovery is junior weakside linebacker Marcello Church, who suffered a right ankle sprain two weeks ago in practice.

Church, who backs up a recovering A.J. Nicholson, expects to be ready for the Hurricanes.

"I am around 80 percent right now," Church told TheTerritory following Thursday's practice.

Church, who played behind Michael Boulware at strongside linebacker last season, has been wearing a blue non-contact jersey. He also wears a brace on his ankle for protection.

"I am getting my strength back. I am still getting a little pain when I cut, but I am feeling better."

Church also likes the progress of the Seminoles' defense.

"We lost a lot of people from last year, but it doesn't look like it on the field," Church said. "This defense is going to be fast. It's going to be quicker (than last year)."

Church also wants to take more of a leadership role this season because "I have to. I've been around here long enough. It's time to be a leader."

Church says the Seminoles' full attention will be on the Hurriances next week. The two teams kick off their season on Monday, Sept. 6, in the Orange Bowl.

"We really haven't looked much at last year's games," Church said. "We know what to expect from Miami."
    Who knows? He could turn out to be a steal. Lots of players who get injured and don't get drafted can be real gems! Let's hope he becomes one of these. Welcome aboard Marcello!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Addicted
    I was thinking this was going to be about Rocky Boiman. Hopefully this works out for the Steelers.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

Senior Year (2005): Saw action in 12 games IN 2005...recorded a career-high tackles for loss in the Miami and NC State games when we was credited with two... haD eight tackles for loss on the season which markED a career-high...a great special teams player who blocked his second career punt in the NC State game...has played defensive end for the Seminoles on passing downs...has tied a career-high in tackles with 26... third on the team in quarterback sacks with 4.5...missed the Orange Bowl due to an injury he suffered in the ACC Championship game.

Junior Year (2004): Finished the season with a career-high 26 total tackles...also had 4.5 tackles for loss and a sack...served as the second team weakside linebacker behind A.J. Nicholson...played in 11 games...had his best game of the season against Virginia when he recorded five tackles, one sack and one tackle for loss.

Sophomore Year (2003): Played behind All-ACC selection Michael Boulware at strongside linebacker...played in all 13 games, including the Orange Bowl, at linebacker and on special teams...finished the season with 13 total tackles, nine of which were solo stops...recorded a career-high three tackles at Notre Dame...had one or more tackles in nine games...recognized as the Kicking Game Player of the Week by coaching staff following the win over NC State...was named the most improved linebacker following 2003 spring practice.

2002: Redshirted after an injury kept him from practice time early in the season...was expected to see considerable playing time after performing well as a true freshman in 2001.

Freshman Year (2001): Blocked a punt that led to a touchdown against Virginia Tech in the Gator Bowl...appeared in all but one game as a true freshman...finished 23rd on the team with 14 tackles...best outing came at Duke with two unassisted tackles...had three intimidations with two at Clemson and one against Alabama-Birmingham.

High School: Regarded as one of the top linebackers in the state...member of Max Emfinger's Top 100...had an impressive senior season at Lakewood High in St. Petersburg...also played running back and rushed for 1,089 yards as a senior.

Personal: Majoring in social science...born March 24, 1982.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Angry
    Church sounds like training camp fodder to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambridge View Post
    Church sounds like training camp fodder to me.
    kinda my thoughts too. a special teams ace if he makes the team. bring him along like harrison possibly.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Seems alittle small, 230 lbs, to be a LB in the 34 but who knows he might surprise us.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    yup, he'll be first cut in after the 2nd preseason game.........
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    yup, he'll be first cut in after the 2nd preseason game.........
    Is he an MLB or OLB? I could see him replacing Kreidwalt, possibly.......ok I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    Is he an MLB or OLB? I could see him replacing Kreidwalt, possibly.......ok I doubt it.
    What did Colbert and Tomlin ask you about this guy? I'm sure they signed him because of your input.

sounds like a special teamer to me

Thread Information