Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get-tough policy OK with Steelers

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Get-tough policy OK with Steelers

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers are in favor of the NFL's proposed new get-tough policy on criminal players, provided it includes protections for the teams.
    If a bonus baby is to be barred from playing because of repeated criminal activity, the Steelers would like to see the clubs be able to recoup their up-front investment in him.
    "I think if teams are given the tools that I think they need to impose discipline, that would help," said Steelers president Art Rooney. "In this last collective bargaining agreement, we gave up some things that, let's say, were helpful in terms of enforcing discipline."
    Before the new CBA was reached last year, teams were able to force players to return parts of various bonuses if the players were found to violate the code of conduct in their contracts.
    "That's limited now in this new agreement," Rooney said. "Only the signing bonus is something you can go after for a player who commits a serious conduct matter."
    Rooney and the rest of the NFL will learn what commissioner Roger Goodell proposes as a new conduct policy when they gather for the annual spring meetings in Phoenix starting Sunday. Goodell plans to present his tougher policy Tuesday, one that has often been referred to as "three strikes and you're out."
    Goodell has met with the NFL Players Association and others to work on the tougher policy, which does not need a vote of the owners; the commissioner can implement a new code of conduct at his discretion.
    "I think the players were very interested, as was the union, in pursuing a modification to our current policy," said Rich McKay, chairman of the competition committee. "I think we're all concerned with the things that go on off the field and how the actions of a few may affect the many."
    NFL players and other professional athletes have gotten into trouble with the law before, but it has come to a head because of more high-profile cases lately that prompted magazines such as Sports Illustrated and Webs sites such as Pro Football Talk to run standings for teams that assign points for various criminal behavior.
    Rooney blamed it in part on the Cincinnati Bengals, who have had nine players arrested in a nine-month period.
    "I think there has been an increase in the number of incidents -- not dramatic, but I also think the Bengals situation, where they've had multiple problems with multiple players, has raised it to a level that has drawn a lot of attention to the Bengals and the situation in general," Rooney said."The league wants to head it off before it gets any more serious.
    "I don't think dramatic change [is needed] but I think the league wants to make sure we're in front of this and don't go down to where we're looking at something before it's too late."
    Speculation on possible punishments are suspensions of players, including a lifetime ban, and fines and losses of draft choices for their teams.
    "I think if teams are held accountable, there also should be a way to hold players accountable," Rooney said. "So if there's a package with various components that strengthen ... conduct issues, I think we would be supportive of it."
    The conduct policy is one of two major issues Rooney identified on the docket at the league meetings. The other is revenue sharing.
    The new CBA includes a provision for revenue sharing that takes money from the top revenue teams and distributes it to those in the second half of revenue producers. However, it is so small that the small-market teams are worried they soon will be losing money while the rich teams get richer.
    For example, each team's revenue from television used to cover its player costs each year. That no longer is the case. Player costs in 2007 -- over and above the salary cap because they include benefits such as pensions and health -- are $130.6 million. TV revenue is $90 million per team, leaving a shortfall of $40 million that many small-market teams cannot cover with their local income.
    The Steelers are near the middle of the NFL pack in revenue production.
    "It's an ongoing issue that we need a more permanent solution to than what we came up with in this last CBA," Rooney said. "It's an imbalance of revenue. You look league-wide, revenue is growing and it's great. But you look on a club-by-club basis, the disparity is growing and the high-revenue teams pulling away from the low-revenue teams."
    Among other notable proposals on the agenda:
    Make instant replay a permanent rule (it would expire in two more years if not extended or made permanent), and adjust it to include reviews of various penalties.
    Move the overtime kickoff from the 30-yard line to the 35 to make it more equitable for the team that loses the coin flip.
    Create a 5-yard penalty for spiking the ball on the field of play, other than after a touchdown.
    Revise the injury reporting system that now includes various designations of "probable, questionable, doubtful and out."
    Experiment in the preseason with moving the location of the umpire from the defense to behind the offense for safety reasons.
    Allow one player on defense to be designated as eligible to receive radio-helmet instructions the way a quarterback does now.
    Allow a second interview for head coaching candidates whose team advances to the Super Bowl.
    Have separate pass interference penalties: A "major" that consists of the current rule, putting the ball where the penalty occurred, and a "minor" one that would reflect the college rule of a 15-yard penalty. The decisions on which would be up to the officials. Increase the game day roster from 45 to 47
    Good article
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

I think the Steelers don't have a problem with the get tough rule because they don't really have the thugs like the other teams around the league. Case in point... Santonio Holmes! Before this guy showed up to camp it seemed like he was getting in trouble every week, but now that he has been a Steeler for a year we haven't heard anything negative about him!

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    I think the Steelers don't have a problem with the get tough rule because they don't really have the thugs like the other teams around the league. Case in point... Santonio Holmes! Before this guy showed up to camp it seemed like he was getting in trouble every week, but now that he has been a Steeler for a year we haven't heard anything negative about him!
    Definately agree! And the thing is the Steelers are known for their well behaved team. I think it's a policy that definately should be instituted in the NFL for every team. These guys are also role models for kids..

One thing I see happening in sports and I know this is basketball but I think it was the 76er's ??? but i'm not sure, having those fights in front of fans...and I read an article where now a high school team in NY had the same thing..Come on! Kids watch these guys!! I think athletes need to keep it in check! Monkey see.....monkey do!!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    He started seeing those pay checks Said, "no way, i'm not F*ck'n this up."
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    When you have a properly run organization from the top down, you don't have to worry about all the discipline that the NFL tosses around because we take care of business in house by getting the type of players that have some common sense.

We almost didn't even sign Holmes because of his off-field crap !
    Case & Point we are not the Bengirls,cowgirls or Titans
    PITTSBURGH has always been a class organiztion and always will be

[QUOTE=TampaSteelGirl;86600]Definately agree! And the thing is the Steelers are known for their well behaved team. I think it's a policy that definately should be instituted in the NFL for every team. These guys are also role models for kids..QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. Kids look up to these guys and then they go around acting like a bunch of hooligans. They do need to institute these rules, creating harsher consequences for their stupid actions.

On a lighter note, I can't wait to see the headline for the Bengals saying they need to have a supplemental draft because have their team is in jail or banned from the NFL...nice!

Gold Standard

Let's not get too self-righteous

We have had players who have had drug problems before. Bam Morris was a drug addict and granted the Steelers cut him when he started to become a problem he was still ours. As much as we all loved Greg Lloyd prowling Three Rivers Stadium wearing the black and gold, little did we all know then that he was beating the **** out of his wife and kids at home. That story about Lloyd sticking a real gun in 12 year old sons mouth really tarnished his image forever for me. Nobody is exempt from having these problems. These players come from society and often come with the problems of our society. The Steelers don't seem to be quite as tolerant of the bad behavior because the Rooney's love the City of Pittsburgh and really want to be a positive force in the community not a negative one. Kudo's to the Rooney's! But these things can happen to any team! Wasn't it Justin Strelzyck who was involved in a high speed police chase that ended in tragedy with a fiery crash that he died in? I think they said he was bi-polar but I'm not sure what that means. Let's be thankful that our boys seem to be keeping themselves out of trouble and out of the media spotlight. Let's pray it stays that way!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Yea every team has it's share of problem players of the field, some more than others ::cough:: BENGALS ::cough:: some are more publicized than others. For instance Deshea's incident not too long ago. I think the Rooney's and the Steelers FO are more active in preaching to it's players the importance of good character and being responsible.
    I am not worried about any of our current players getting into any serious off the field trouble.

Thanks House of Steel for the sig and avatar

Im just glad to see the NFL and the steelers and other NFL teams do something about this. its pretty bad when you have NFL players left and right commiteing crims and just getting slapped in the wirst and im sick of seeing bungals getting slaps on the wist its about time some of them start being good or do some hard time like they say

cant do the time dont do the crime!

Thread Information