Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jamie Dukes mock from NFLN

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Jamie Dukes mock from NFLN

By Jamie Dukes
    Special to NFL.com

Dukes' post-Combine mock draft
    (March 22, 2007) -- NFL Network analyst Jamie Dukes offers up an updated mock draft following the trade between the Falcons and Texans in which the teams traded spots in the first round and quarterback Matt Schaub was sent to Houston.

1. Oakland: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU -- The big question is do the Raiders have the pallet to pay a quarterback at the first pick? There is a lot of Randy Moss trade talk, but regardless of whether he stays or goes, Russell is the man for the job as he solidified his potential with a great Pro Day performance.

2. Detroit: Joe Thomas, T, Wisconsin -- The Lions like Brady Quinn but not enough to select him at No. 2. The Lions are trying to trade down but the price may be too high.Thomas is an athletic franchise tackle that is not the traditional road-grader type the Badgers are known for and he still makes sense. He has a nasty temperament but may be better served as a right tackle due to the length of his arms.

3. Cleveland: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame -- There is a philosophical disagreement between the coaching staff and management. Ownership wants a player who can yield big dividends in the future, while the coaches recognize they are on a shorter leash and want to bring in a player that can help them win now. The signing of running back Jamal Lewis seems to indicate management will win this conversation.

4. Tampa Bay: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech -- Defensive ends Simeon Rice and Greg Spires are getting older and Gaines Adams should be the guy, but Calvin Johnson is too tempting to pass up for Jon Gruden, who has and effective but aging Joey Galloway and an inconsistent Mark Clayton as his receiver. My source tells me "it will cost a lot to get the rights to this kid" if someone wanted to trade for the draft rights to Johnson.

5. Arizona: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson -- The Cards are moving on without mammoth tackle Leonard Davis, so they could draft Joe Thomas if he is available or trade down to position for Penn State tackle Levi Brown. It is vital for the Cards to grab Thomas or Brown to replace Davis and trading up to Cleveland's spot at No. 3 could be an option to get Thomas. Should Arizona hold pat, Adams is perfect for the young, talented team.

6. Washington: Alan Branch, DT, Michigan -- The Redskins are in desperate need of a pass rusher. They could draft Gaines Adams if he is available or trade down for additional picks and select a pass rusher later in the first round. If not, they take the highest guy on the board, which happens to be Branch.

7. Minnesota: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan -- The Vikings were among the worst teams against the pass last season. They should draft the best all-around corner because, tackling will also be a requirement since the Vikes were No. 1 against the run. Fred Smoot was a disappointment and has been released and Hall is a physical corner who fits the bill. Arkansas corner Chris Houston is also a possibility.

8. Atlanta: Levi Brown, T, Penn State -- The Falcons have several holes and did not have the luxury of keeping Matt Schaub. By moving up to the No. 8 position, the Falcons will draft the cornerstone tackle they need in Levi Brown. Current Atlanta left tackle Wayne Gandy still has something left in the tank, so if I am the Falcons, I put Brown at left guard, an area that has been a week spot for years. The when Gandy is done, Atlanta can move Brown to tackle. With the Schaub trade, the Falcons have three of the first 44 picks (8th, 39th and 44th) this year and a pair of second-round picks in 2008. They got a lot for a guy who has never won an NFL game and is slightly over a 50 percent passer -- hats off to Rich McKay.

9. Miami: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville -- Cornerback is also a pressing need and should Levi Brown fall to this position the Dolphins would be compelled to take the cornerstone tackle. But Miami also has to get younger on the defensive line and the 19-year-old Okoye makes sense. After his stellar Combine workout, cornerback Chris Houston may have played himself into the top 10.

10. Houston: LaRon Landry, S, LSU -- With the loss of a second-round pick, the best thing to do is trade down with a team that is offering a minimum of swapping positions in the first round and a third-round or better choice. But should the Texans stay here, they have to take the best guy on the board. Safeties C.C. Brown and Glenn Earl had two interceptions between them for Houston last season.

11. San Francisco: Ted Ginn Jr ., WR, Ohio State -- Niners quarterback Alex Smith showed signs of life and all he needs is a big-play, go-to wide receiver. Due to his game-breaking abilities in the return game, Ginn Jr. is the top candidate at receiver behind Calvin Johnson.

12. Buffalo: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma -- With Willis McGahee traded to Baltimore, if Peterson is here, expect the Bills to jump all over him. At No. 12, there is no doubt Peterson would be the steal of the draft.

13. St. Louis: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska -- The Rams were the 31st-ranked run defense and Carriker is the most flexible of all the defensive linemen. He can play rush end, two-gap end and the three technique.

14. Carolina: Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami -- The Panthers could not run the ball last year and are in desperate need of an offensive tackle, but there are no tackle's rated high enough to be taken in this position. Drafting a safety makes sense since Shaun Williams (nine years) and Mike Minter (10 years) both have a lot of mileage, but trading down could yield more draft choices and the safety of their choice.

15. Pittsburgh: Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas -- New Steelers coach Mike Tomlin will want to shore up the secondary and Houston is a playmaking corner who has played on the big stage. Florida defensive end Jarvis Moss will be a tempting choice as Thomlin subtly makes the transition from a 3-4 scheme to the 4-3.

16. Green Bay: Marshawn Lynch, RB, California-- Brett Favre has vowed to return for one more season and the Pack could use another weapon. The "checkdown man" Ahman Green is gone and Lynch is a good young back with a burst and good hands.

17. Jacksonville: Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi -- Jack Del Rio is getting great play out of defensive tackles Marcus Stroud and John Henderson. The Jags need more playmakers at linebacker -- when Mike Peterson went down last year, there was a dropoff in production at the position -- so Penn State's Paul Posluszny or Florida State's Lawrence Timmons also make sense here as outside linebackers.

18. Cincinnati: Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State -- Chances are David Pollack will not return and chances are Odell Thurman may do something stupid again. In addition to being a great football player, Posluszny is a high-character guy. Florida State's Lawrence Timmons also make sense here

19. Tennessee: Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida State -- The Titans were 30th against the run last year and Timmons is a tackling machine that has the versatility to play in the slot and as a rush outside linebacker.

20. N.Y. Giants: Tony Ugoh, T, Arkansas -- With the acquisition of Rueben Droughns, the Giants will move to the thunder-and-thunder offense with Brandon Jacobs. Tackles Luke Petitgout and Bob Whitfield are gone and the Giants need protection. Central Michigan tackle Joe Staley could also go here.

21. Denver: Joe Staley, T, Central Michigan -- The Broncos enjoy wheeling and dealing so I would not be surprised to see the Broncos jump up to get Marshawn Lynch. With the trading of Tatum Bell and George Foster, two voids have been created. I believe the Broncos will fill the void on the offensive line first and the athletic Staley makes sense. Arkansas offensive lineman Tony Ugoh could also go in this position.

22. Dallas: Michael Griffin, S, Texas -- Should the Cowboys decide not to pursue Mike Doss in free agency, they must address the safety position. The former Longhorn has great instincts for the football and has played on the biggest stages and excelled. As for the Dallas' current safety, Roy Williams, it's Ocean's 13 time -- he needs to drop 13 pounds by way of a seafood diet. If not, put 13 pounds on and make him a linebacker.

23. Kansas City: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU -- The Achilles heel of the Chiefs offense is the lack of a big-time playmaker at wide receiver. Bowe has the speed and size that is perfect for the Chiefs.

24. New England: Jon Beason, LB, Miami -- Bill Belichick and Andy Ried have done the best job in the league of stockpiling depth. Linebackers Tedy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel are getting older and Beason is a tackling machine. With the addition of Adalius Thomas in free agency, Beason would make the Patriots linebacker crew beastly.

25. N.Y. Jets: Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida -- The J -E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets defense was as average as grits, grits, grits last year. The Jets did a great job of fortifying the offense with the drafting of D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold and Leon Washington last year. Now it's time to take care of the defense. New York had to blitz last season to get pressure on the quarterback and Moss will create heat in a hurry. He has John Abraham's first step.

26. Philadelphia: Reggie Nelson, S, Florida -- Replacing receiver Donte' Stallworth with Kevin Curtis allows Andy Reid to bring another reptile to the secondary. Nelson has the natural instincts of Ed Reed. Eagles safety Michael Lewis fell out of favor last season as Sean Considine took his job. Nelson could be a replacement for Considine and ultimate replacement for Brian Dawkins.

27. New Orleans: Aaron Ross, CB, Texas -- Highway 22 known as Saints cornerback Fred Thomas must be fixed and Ross can plug the hole. Based on his workout, Pittsburgh corner Darrelle Revis could go in this spot.

28. New England: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh -- Like the Eagles, the Patriots are the best at stockpiling players. Backup corners Chad Scott and free-agent Ray Mickens have 22 years experience between them and there are still too many Troy Brown sightings on defense for my liking. New England should trade down or draft Revis. Bill Belichick also mentors Florida coach Urban Meyer, so defensive end Jarvis Moss could go here.

29. Baltimore: Justin Blalock, G/T, Texas -- Jonathan Ogden is talking about calling it quits in the next year of so and it makes perfect sense to get his replacement at the position right now. Ozzie Newsome is known for grabbing athletic guys and Blalock has the flexibility to play guard or tackle. Expect the Ravens to draft a guard big guard like Arron Sears or Joshua Beekman in the second and/or third round.

30. San Diego: Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee -- Meacham is a polished receiver who flourished with the return of David Cutcliff back to the Tennesee Vols offense. He's a strong and athletic wideout with good speed.

31. Chicago: Ben Grubbs, G, Auburn -- Roberto Garza was a liability during the Super Bowl in the passing game and Grubbs has an understanding of the passing game protection requirements.

32. Indianapolis: Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue -- The success of Dwight Freeney may make passing up Anthony Spencer difficult. Gator Ray McDonald would be a nice fit as well as the Colts continue to play Rent-A-Defender.

All these mocks that have us taking a CB are starting to get to me.
    Are we that far off in what we think our team needs? Seems everybody and their brother has us taking a CB. I would really be disappointed if we do that! Not because I don't think we could use some help in the secondary, but because we have bigger needs elsewhere IMO. OLB....OL.....RB.....WR
    I wouldn't even think of taking a CB until every one of our other needs was met.

All of Steeler Nation is watching you MT....don't **** it up!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

I agree BlackGold.
    The national media must not have taken a look at our depth chart, the ages of our LBs, or the recent loss of OUR STARTING OLB. I realize that the Steelers of the past ten or so years have been known for their poor secondary play but I like were we are now (for the most part), I would like to see us take a corner in day two of the draft but def. not in the first round.

Thanks House of Steel for the sig and avatar

Jamie Dukes That guy get's on my nerves, All i can say is him
    He's an idiot But he's got us also getting a CB,like i said before that's what i keep hearing on sirius

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    All these mocks that have us taking a CB are starting to get to me.
    Are we that far off in what we think our team needs? Seems everybody and their brother has us taking a CB. I would really be disappointed if we do that! Not because I don't think we could use some help in the secondary, but because we have bigger needs elsewhere IMO. OLB....OL.....RB.....WR
    I wouldn't even think of taking a CB until every one of our other needs was met.

All of Steeler Nation is watching you MT....don't **** it up!
    I agree we need OLB/DE help more then anything else in rd 1. Most of the mocks I blow off considering who's doing them. Here's the problem with this one, Dukes has a good football mind and doesn't talk a lot of noise without being able to back it up. It'll definitely be interesting come draft day.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Gold Standard

You know who else I can't stand?

Believe me, it's not as long a list as you might think Sean Salisbury or Steak as I've heard him called, is one of the most obnoxious guys in broadcasting. He is so condescending the way he talks. He doesn't just offer his analysis and opinion, he states them as facts that only an idiot could disagree with! I have heard him completely bludgeon teams before in his predictions and then the team who he says matter-of-factly that doesn't stand a chance..........will blow out the other team. No apologies for the things he said about the team that didn't stand a chance. And probably the biggest reason I can't stand him is he has always been a Steeler hater. Never has a good thing to say about the black and gold! When I see or hear Salisbury talking, I thank God for remote controls!

Yeah, and Jamie Dukes should go see DaN Marino to see if he can be put on that weight loss system as he has way too much fat between the ears!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

well, **** chris houston, and were not switching to 4-3 so get over it world

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i hate when they say tomlin wants to shore up the corner spot........wtf??? when the **** has he ever mentioned that??? he believes in ike and mcfadden is gonna be badass......... **** mocks unless it's from a steelers site or from steeler fans they all mean jack **** to me
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

at least its not leon hall, i think houston is gonna be a hell of a corner, hall is just overrated

WOW! What a stupid Mock!!!!! Chris Houston?!?! Whatever! WE NEED OLB HELP!!!!!!

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im all mocked out at this point. Im tired of seeing experts thinking they know what we need by telling everyone we need another CB. Nobody knows anything anymore I swear ! The NFLN, ESPN, and everybody else needs to come to start consulting Steeler Addicts for our draft needs because we seem to be the only site that has a clue !

Thread Information