Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Aaron Smith plans to be more vocal in 2007

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_499125.html

By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, March 23, 2007

He has the most career sacks on a team that recently parted ways with its top pass rusher.
    Yet when Aaron Smith talked Thursday about assuming a bigger role next season, he was referring to the one he'll take in the locker room more than anything else.

"I think I am going to have to speak up a little more," Smith said after an offseason workout at the Steelers' South Side practice facility, "and I think some of the guys that aren't used to speaking up are going to have to step up and speak a little more."

That the 6-foot-5, 298-pound defensive end is including himself in that group isn't surprising even though he generally prefers to blend in rather than be, well, Joey Porter.

The five-year, $25 million contract extension that Smith signed near the end of February cemented his status as a proven, respected veteran.

If he feels compelled to be more vocal next season, that is because the Steelers lost the unquestioned leader of their defense when they released Porter. The move came a couple of days after Smith agreed to the deal that should allow him to retire as a Steeler.

There also is the not-so-small matter of the Steelers underachieving in 2006 and missing the playoffs a season after they won the Super Bowl.

Smith said he and his teammates are intent on returning to their winning ways, even though the Steelers are in transition with new head coach Mike Tomlin.

"I think it's just the personalities," he said on why he expects the Steelers to rebound rather than regress. "There's a lot of prideful men on this team and guys are used to winning, and they want to come out and prove something."

Smith, who turns 31 next month, knows all about proving something, He did just that after the Steelers drafted him out of a Division II school (Northern Colorado) in 1999.

He has registered 34 sacks in eight seasons and, perhaps more importantly, has been stout against the run in the Steelers' 3-4 defense.

There has been considerable speculation about whether the Steelers will go to a 4-3 scheme -- and sooner rather than later -- since Tomlin learned that defense while serving as an assistant coach under Tony Dungy.

"There's always a little uncertainty with all of the change," Smith said of having a new coach. "Nobody likes change, and it's tough, but it's a necessary part of life. I'm fine with whatever the coaches decide. Whatever's going to give us the best chance to win football games, that's what I'm up for."
    Aaron is a well respected guy in the locker room, but to this point has been more of Polamalu, Ward, Farrior, type of leader in that he leads by example rather than the emotional fire up the troops type of leader that was Joey Porter. It'll be interesting to see how much of this new role he plans to take.

No one person can replace Porter's presence in the locker room and on the sidelines so it will take a collective effort.

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_499125.html

Aaron is a well respected guy in the locker room, but to this point has been more of Polamalu, Ward, Farrior, type of leader in that he leads by example rather than the emotional fire up the troops type of leader that was Joey Porter. It'll be interesting to see how much of this new role he plans to take.

No one person can replace Porter's presence in the locker room and on the sidelines so it will take a collective effort.

If we draft the right type of player they may have an immediate impact. I don't think it took Jack Lambert that long to assume the role as defensive leader of the Steel Curtain. Also I do think James Harrison is the emotional kind of player that may ease into that role once he is a starter. We will see.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Out of all respect i have for peezy, i dont think we need a replacement in the um... verbal department quite yet. Let these guys simply lead by example, and the younger ones will learn just fine.
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcurtaingal View Post
    Out of all respect i have for peezy, i dont think we need a replacement in the um... verbal department quite yet. Let these guys simply lead by example, and the younger ones will learn just fine.
    We have several guys on the team that do that now so I think we're ok in that dept. We have plenty of veteran leadership on the field that just "goes about their business in a workman like manner" but ours is a team that feeds off emotion so we'll need that too at some point

I just can't see Smith being more vocal he's like a little mouse and let's his actions on the field speak for him. I could see Keisel being more vocal, he just seems to have that trait to his personality... I'm sure he's no Porter but IMO Keisel would be better at the vocal part than Smith

Quote Originally Posted by steelcurtaingal View Post
    I have to agree if we are just going to try to replace porter with someone who has a big mouth then let me in to play i can do that. But we need someone to take overby example and be a leader of this team and get everone pumped up !

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    While Joey was there, there was no real need for anyone else TO be the vocal leader on defense.

I agree that A.Smith doesn't seem to be the type to be a vocal leader on this team but it's good to see that he realizes that he is a respected veteran, that there is a need for a vocal leader for the defense, and is willing to step up. Aaron is one of the most consistent Steelers on the roster.

Thanks House of Steel for the sig and avatar

I can see a little bit of Porter in Larry Foote. Even a bit in Farrior. Foote was kind of like a mini Porter, complete with Boot-esque dance, the Stomp. And I've definitely seen Farrior get pretty fired up at times too.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Aaron is one of those guys that won't say much but he'll sit there and listen and then go kick your ***, and then come back finish his beer at the bar

Thread Information