Thread: What Happened to Gumbel and the NFL Network?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Amazed

What Happened to Gumbel and the NFL Network?

I was in meetings alot this afternoon and never got the whole story. WHat I did get is that someone fired him because he said something, anyhone know anything about this?
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

He recently made a comment about the winter olympics, saying that the lack of black athletes made it look like a GOP convention. he's been taking some heat for it since. I didn't know he'd been fired for it though.

Stuck in damned cincinnati ..Raised in western pa
    Never like gumball ,glad he is gone

If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -- Jack Lambert, 1990 HOF Induction Speech

My Mood
    Amazed
    Ohhhhhhhhhh, the way they were talking maybe I just assumed he was fired?
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Well, in addition to his racist comments about the winter olympics, he recently said that the new NFL commisioner "should ask Paul Tagliabue where he keeps Gene Upshaw's leash", referring to the fact that Upshaw hasn't gotten as much for the NFL players association as other sports, like baseball, have. This is a totally ludicrous position to take, because what Upshaw has been doing is BETTER than what guys like Donald Fehr have been doing for baseball. Yeah, baseball players make more money, and have guaranteed contracts, but look at how pathetic MLB is compared to the NFL. Without a salary cap, MLB is a joke, where only the richest teams can compete consistently, and occasionally a team with a lower payroll can get lucky. However, in the NFL, any team has a chance. The NFL is the role model for other sports leagues, because of the salary cap, and because Upshaw isn't an *******.

And it's not like football players will ever be paid as much as baseball players, because baseball teams play 162 games, while NFL teams only play 16, which means more chances for the baseball teams to make money. Also, there are less players on a baseball team than a football team, so they have more money to go around.

So, basically Bryant Gumbel is a racist idiot, who, if he hasn't been fired yet, should be. It's fine to have your own opinions, and, as a journalist, you should be allowed to voice them, no matter how stupid they are. But when you're employed by the NFL, you can't say the same stupid things, and not get fired.

Here is Wikipedia's summary of Gumbel bumbles...(I made that one up )
    Controversies

Gumbel memo
    In 1989, Gumbel wrote a memo to Today Show executive producer Marty Ryan, which was critical of other Today Show personalities. This memo was leaked to the press. In the memo, Gumbel commented that Willard Scott "holds the show hostage to his assortment of whims, wishes, birthdays and bad taste...This guy is killing us and no one's even trying to rein him in." He commented that Gene Shalit's movie reviews "are often late and his interviews aren't very good."

There was enough negative backlash in regard to Gumbel's comments toward Scott, that Gumbel was shown making up with Scott on The Today Show.

During coverage of the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin on HBO's Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel he made the following remarks,

Finally, tonight, the Winter Games. Count me among those who don’t like them and won’t watch them ... Because they’re so trying, maybe over the next three weeks we should all try too. Like, try not to be incredulous when someone attempts to link these games to those of the ancient Greeks who never heard of skating or skiing. So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention. Try not to point out that something’s not really a sport if a pseudo-athlete waits in what’s called a kiss-and-cry area, while some panel of subjective judges decides who won ... So if only to hasten the arrival of the day they’re done, when we can move on to March Madness — for God’s sake, let the games begin.

[1]

A CBS camera caught a disgusted Bryant Gumbel blurting out "What a ****ing idiot" just after he wrapped up a hostile interview with Robert Knight of the Family Research Council (FRC). The incident occurred at about 7:15 a.m. ET Thursday, June 29, 2000 following Knight's appearance to defend the Boy Scout policy of excluding gays from being leaders, a policy the Supreme Court had re-affirmed the day before. Gumbel's hostile reception for Knight had followed a much less confrontational approach to a representative of Planned Parenthood who had come aboard to support the Court's ruling overturning a law which banned partial-birth abortions.

On the August 15, 2006 episode of Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, Gumbel made the following remarks about former NFL commisioner Paul Tagliabue and Player Union president Gene Upshaw and directed these comments to new commisioner Roger Goodell.

Before he cleans out his office have Paul Tagliabue show you where he keeps Gene Upshaw's leash. By making the docile head of the players union his personal pet, your predecessor has kept the peace without giving players the kind of guarantees other pros take for granted. Try to make sure no one competent ever replaces Upshaw on your watch.

In response, Tagliabue said

What Gumbel said about Gene Upshaw and our owners is about as irresponsible as anything I've heard in a long time.

Gene Upshaw as of August 21, 2006 has not commented.[4]. Gumbel's response was that:

"It's a lot like covering any story," he said. "You see what is front of you and you report on it."[5]

My Mood
    Addicted
    Nice post HB. Just shows you what an idiot he is.

Thread Information