Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Ben stands tall, has no alibi for off year

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Big Ben stands tall, has no alibi for off year

pretty good read IMO, i can't wait for next season

Quarterback doesn't offer excuses for his off season

It was not the motorcycle accident, nor the appendectomy, nor the concussion. Ben Roethlisberger yesterday took issue with the excuses his former offensive coordinator provided for him recently, but said nothing was to blame for his poor 2006 season other than his play.

"You know what? I might have still had the same year," if there had been no trauma, Roethlisberger said. "Who knows? I'm not going to look back and say, wow, this is what caused this and this is what caused that. There's no need for that. It's a bad year. It's going to happen. That's just the way it goes."

Former Steelers coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, now the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals, said last month that, in retrospect, he thought Roethlisberger may have been brought back too soon after his traumas of last year and that it may have caused the quarterback to be gun-shy in the pocket.

Roethlisberger sharply disagreed.

"No, I don't agree with Whis. There were a lot of things I didn't agree with Whis about, and that's another one.

"Coach Cowher always came to me and asked me how I felt, and I was always 100 percent honest with him. I was always honest with the doctors. Everybody knows that Pittsburgh has some of the best doctors in the country -- look at my face for instance," he said, laughing. "We have an unbelievable medical staff. They cleared me and, if they gave me clearance, we never hushed anything.

"No, I don't think anything was rushed. I think I just didn't play well. I had a bad year. I'm sure Whis had a bad year once in his career."

Roethlisberger threw 18 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions last season, had a 75.4 passer rating and a 7-8 record in his third year as a starter. He was 27-4 as a starter in his first two seasons, counting playoffs, with a 98.3 overall passer rating and a Super Bowl victory under his belt.

He has been able to put last season into perspective, he said, with the help of two Hall of Fame quarterbacks from Western Pennsylvania -- Dan Marino and Jim Kelly.

"Playing some golf and spending some time with them recently, they laugh because they're, like, 'Isn't it amazing that you have one bad year and everyone is down on you?' " Roethlisberger said. "I said, 'Yeah, it's pretty funny.' They said, 'Listen, you're going to have more than one bad year. Don't let it bother you. You had two great ones [and] one bad one, you'll be fine.'

"It feels good when people like that tell you that it's going to be OK, that you're going to have more than one bad year."

Roethlisberger attributes it more to his mental approach.

"I think that a lot of times, I got caught being a little too confident and knowing the offense too well and trying to force things a little too much. I wouldn't change a thing. I learned from it, it's a learning experience, and you know what, it's going to make me better."

Roethlisberger finds himself at another crossroads in his young career with a new head coach in Mike Tomlin, new offensive coordinator in Bruce Arians and new quarterbacks coach in Ken Anderson. He also has been presented with a new playbook that Arians streamlined and puts more on the quarterback's shoulders.

"It's going to be tough. It's going to take a lot of learning. That's why I've been going in and talking to B.A. and coach Anderson," Roethlisberger said as he completed his second day of workouts with his team.

Among the changes: The quarterback and not the center or guards will call the pass protections. Roethlisberger often could not hear his linemen and thus did not know what the protections were.

"[They're] letting me call a lot more of the stuff at the line," Roethlisberger said. "This year, it's going to be mostly just me. I'm going to tell them if I want them to move. I'm telling them to move, otherwise they don't do anything. It should be easier for us, for me, because I know what's going on and where they'll be blocking and who they're not blocking."

Roethlisberger did his homework on Anderson, too. He talked to Jacksonville quarterback Byron Leftwich about his former quarterbacks coach. He said he will miss his old quarterbacks coach, Mark Whipple, but understands the business of the NFL. He also said Tomlin has made a good impression.

"He's a lot of good things you want in a coach -- he has the energy, he has the excitement, he's a young guy," Roethlisberger said. "You can tell he has a fire, he has the players fired -- the enthusiasm, the energy -- and I think he's going to be a good coach. He has the passion."
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07080/771179-66.stm
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Addicted
    Very nice read. But I still don't care what Ben says, the injuries he had did contribute to his play early on in the season. He didn't want to run with the ball, didn't want to get hit. I don't blame him after what he went through. I do like how he played better the last part of the year though. He started getting back in sync with everyone. I think he will have a great year!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    Very nice read. But I still don't care what Ben says, the injuries he had did contribute to his play early on in the season. He didn't want to run with the ball, didn't want to get hit. I don't blame him after what he went through. I do like how he played better the last part of the year though. He started getting back in sync with everyone. I think he will have a great year!
    oh he knows they were a reason, he's just not being a little bitch about it and using them as excuses which is why i like ben so much, i talk **** about him on game day sometimes and call him ben maddox, but he always takes the blame..... i'm glad he's saying what he's saying instead of acting like a hoe bag...... like t.o. and his agent are doing about why he dropped the balls so much, they keep saying it was cause his hand lol.........
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    ....the injuries he had did contribute to his play early on in the season...
    I agree--we all know they DID contribute!

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    oh he knows they were a reason, he's just not...using them as excuses which is why i like ben so much...he always takes the blame......
    And I agree with Koopa--I like that he doesn't make up excuses--he had legitimate ones, yet still didn't use them.

I also like that he's not like Brady and Palmer who act like jerks when somethin goes wrong on the field--you can see them get mad and start cursin from a mile away. Ben gets disappointed, but never acts like an idiot--he maintains a gentlemanly, sportsmanlike attitude about it.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Props to Ben for standing up and taking the heat for a poor season. The accidents and trauma had to affect him, it's only natural, but he's taking the blame like a man and working towards playing better. You gotta love that kind of attitude.

"No, I don't agree with Whis. There were a lot of things I didn't agree with Whis about, and that's another one.
    One wonders how much of this went on while Whiz was here....

My Mood
    Smokin
    Great read...hopefully things can only get better this year..i cant wait to be at training camp this year....

Thanks for the sig Flea

I like the act that he isnt pointing the finger, saying this is why i did so bad. he is owning up to responsibility, and i like that!
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

Reading that article you almost think there was something going on between Ben and Whis... could be just the way I read it but this line
    really makes you stop and think a little...

Good read though... nice to see articles coming out again because you know the season is getting closer

Ben never puts the blame on anyone else and he usually never dishes out excuses. I for one will blame the entire team and coaching staff from last year. Ben was not the only one to play like crap last year.
    Like AZs statement. It really does make you wonder if Ben and Whis had this great relationship that the media made them out to have...I don't know and we will probably never know.
    I like that Ben still has Marino and Kelly to mentor him. Marino and him have been very close since Ben came into the league. I think having Dan around really helped him and had a little to do with his sucess in his first couple of seasons.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Good article and props to Ben for not making excuses.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information