Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line Of Scrimmage: Meet The New Head Coaches

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed

Line Of Scrimmage: Meet The New Head Coaches

There is info about all the rest of the new coaches--I just put info about Mike in here. To read the rest of the story...http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/s...77/detail.html

By Tony Moss, NFL Editor
    PITTSBURGH

Out With the Old: Bill Cowher (149-90-1 in 15 seasons) resigned Jan. 5th.

In With the New: Mike Tomlin, formerly defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings, was named head coach Jan. 22nd. Tomlin guided the defense for one year in Minnesota (2006), prior to which he was secondary coach in Tampa Bay (2001-05). The rest of Tomlin's coaching experience came in the collegiate ranks, where he served stints at Cincinnati (1999-2000), Arkansas State (1997-98), Memphis (1996), and VMI (1995).

Coordinator/Staff Situation: In what seems to many to be an unnatural marriage, the Tampa-2 and 4-3-favoring Tomlin kept on defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, the father of the zone blitz and a proponent of the 3-4. How the two will co-exist remains to be seen. Bruce Arians replaces Ken Whisenhunt in the OC chair after three years as WRs coach, and Larry Zierlein, once offensive line coach with the Browns, replaces Russ Grimm in the same position. Former Bengals signal-caller and Jaguars quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson succeeds Mark Whipple as Ben Roethlisberger's tutor. Bob Ligashesky, who helped turn the Rams special teams around over the last two years, will try to do the same in Pittsburgh.

Personnel Situation: Tomlin has to find players to fit his defensive scheme, and the release of Joey Porter was the first casualty of the new approach. At the very least, the Steelers need a true defensive end and another tackle to complement Casey Hampton. In addition, the secondary has long been defense's weak link and has to be addressed. The offense's biggest concerns rest with an aging line. The Steelers look to be okay in the backfield and at receiver, though Roethlisberger will have to prove that he can win without Whisenhunt, Whipple, and Cowher to help shape his talents.

Level of Expectation: Expectations get no higher than in Pittsburgh, where annual playoff trips are the minimum requirement to keep the ultra-loyal fan base at bay. Though there is some sentiment that this could be a rebuilding year in Steeler country, don't expect team supporters to give Tomlin a pass for a 6-10 record. Luckily for Tomlin, the Rooney family generally turns a deaf ear to fan complaints, and allowed both Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher to coach their way out of periods when another ownership group might have canned them. It would probably take three straight losing seasons for Tomlin to lose his job.

Prognosis for Tenure: For the sake of his sanity more than his job security, Tomlin needs to win right away. If he doesn't, he'll hear endless harping in the Steel City about his tender age, limited leadership experience, and his decision to scrap the 3-4 zone-blitz system that has been such a major part of the Steelers' success and identity in recent memory. And let's not pretend, in a working class city such as Pittsburgh, that Tomlin's race won't be at least a whispered issue for a small and unfortunately vocal segment of the team's loyal fan base. Despite all the potential complications, the Tomlin era projects to be a successful one. The Rooney family will stand by their new man, just as they did with Noll and Cowher, and allow Tomlin to find his way as a head coach. And that's the way it should be.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    bah, them fools in millwaukee don't know what they are talking about

there will be no switch, cutting porter was a power/cap move, not a sign of a switch

our secondary isn't as bad as outsiders think, it's our pass rush that sucks

and i haven't heard anything about his race till this article re brought it up, i was happy that the pittsburgh media stopped mentioning it, and now here it is again........
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    bah, them fools in millwaukee don't know what they are talking about

there will be no switch, cutting porter was a power/cap move, not a sign of a switch

our secondary isn't as bad as outsiders think, it's our pass rush that sucks

and i haven't heard anything about his race till this article re brought it up, i was happy that the pittsburgh media stopped mentioning it, and now here it is again........
    What rock did you crawl out of man? The media has been bringing up his race ever since he was first introduced to as our HC and they'll continue to do it, it's just a fact of life unfortunately.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    What rock did you crawl out of man? The media has been bringing up his race ever since he was first introduced to as our HC and they'll continue to do it, it's just a fact of life unfortunately.
    i haven't read about it in awhile
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's because he hasn't been a topic of the media to discuss in awhile but you can bet your last dollar as the draft gets closer and then training camp, you'll hear a lot more of it.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    That's because he hasn't been a topic of the media to discuss in awhile but you can bet your last dollar as the draft gets closer and then training camp, you'll hear a lot more of it.
    Lets hope its not brought up. Draft day needs to be about football and thats it. Good sports writers would know that.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Lets hope its not brought up. Draft day needs to be about football and thats it. Good sports writers would know that.
    100 percent ! All these so called experts and sports journalists should learn that.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    In what seems to many to be an unnatural marriage, the Tampa-2 and 4-3-favoring Tomlin kept on defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, the father of the zone blitz and a proponent of the 3-4. How the two will co-exist remains to be seen.
    They will coexist just fine. If and when there is a change from our 3-4 to something else, it will be a gradual change not something that happens overnight that would be disastrous for years to come. LeBeau has been around to long to just know the 3-4, he knows a hell of a lot more then just the 3-4. Being a defensive minded man I'm sure Tomlin has the utmost respect for LeBeau, his ideas and his advice, that's something the media wouldn't know **** about.

Despite all the potential complications, the Tomlin era projects to be a successful one. The Rooney family will stand by their new man, just as they did with Noll and Cowher, and allow Tomlin to find his way as a head coach. And that's the way it should be.
    Thats about the only thing they got right.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

100 percent ! All these so called experts and sports journalists should learn that.
    Like Skip Bayless, who, by the way said the Bus is not a Hall of Famer.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Bayliss is an idiot, I can't stand that chump he never has anything good to say about anybody

Thread Information