Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Amphitheater

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday133 View Post
    I agree tailgating as we know it is going to be a thing of the past. However, when the stadiums were built, the local politicians let it be known they planned to develop the area between the stadiums, both teams were going to be the 'master developers'. They would decide what kind of development was going to happen. How could you say the development is being done for 1200 very rich people? And why will it fail? That to me sounds like sour grapes. You live in Michigan and come here once maybe twice a year, meanwhile there several hundred thousand people here that would love something else to do. Frankly there is a lot more to the city than the Steelers and those that tailgate 10 times a year. If you don't like it, simply don't go then.

Correct, I do live in Michigan. Maybe you should read this and enlighten yourself as to what sparks 90% of Pittsburgh's economy, keeping in mind that I did not write the article, they are merely facts that Pittsburgh's community leaders find in fact, after reading this, you may wish to retract the statement, there is more to Pittsburgh than the Steelers.:

http://www.sportspickle.com/features...208-towel.html

The City of Pittsburgh, long known for the steel industry that gave the town’s beloved Steelers football team its name now has an economy almost entirely based on the manufacturing and sale of Terrible Towels and other Steelers merchandise, according to a recent economic review of the city.

“The outstanding play of the Steelers over the past few years has not only reinvigorated the team’s already devoted fanbase, but it has also given the city an industry that has provided new jobs for more than 100,000 residents – the design, production and sale of Terrible Towels and other team apparel,” said Pittsburgh mayor Bob O’Connor. “In fact, nearly every citizen of the great city of Pittsburgh is today in some way employed by our exploding Terrible Towel industry.”

Now, however, city officials feel they have a self-sufficient signature industry that will thrive as long as the Pittsburgh Steelers exist.

“No team in sports receives as much support from their fans as the Steelers,” said team owner Dan Rooney. “You can slap a Steelers logo on a bottle of diarrhea and our fans will pay top dollar for it. I don’t see how this new Terrible-Towel based economy could possibly go bust. It’s an ingenious idea.”

Outside of the existing Terrible Towel manufacturing plants and the giant Terrible Towel shopping centers that already exist or are scheduled to be built in town, all of the city’s other existing businesses are seeing enormous residual benefits from the booming Towel industry.

For example, law firms throughout the city are flush with cases involving the sale of unlicensed Terrible Towels and personal injury lawsuits from those who have suffered injuries while waving the yellow towels. Pittsburgh’s trucking companies are busy delivering orders of towels to stores throughout the region; restaurants have gotten in on the boom by using Terrible Towel tablecloths or napkins, while some chefs have even taken to creating dishes using bits of the Towel as an ingredient or garnishing their creations with Terrible Towels. The list of affected industries is endless.

Mayor O’Connor says he thinks Pittsburgh’s Terrible Towel-fueled revitalization will provide a roadmap for struggling sports-crazed town across the country.

“With all the money we’re making I think the Penguins will even get a new arena out of all this,” said O’Connor. “As long as they promise to show Steelers highlights on the arena Jumbotron during their home games.”
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

What would you prefer to see developed in the area instead?
    Maybe a multilevel parking garage to accommodate all of the people who want to tailgate...

I agree tailgating as we know it is going to be a thing of the past. However, when the stadiums were built, the local politicians let it be known they planned to develop the area between the stadiums, both teams were going to be the 'master developers'. They would decide what kind of development was going to happen. How could you say the development is being done for 1200 very rich people? And why will it fail? That to me sounds like sour grapes. You live in Michigan and come here once maybe twice a year, meanwhile there several hundred thousand people here that would love something else to do. Frankly there is a lot more to the city than the Steelers and those that tailgate 10 times a year. If you don't like it, simply don't go then.
    Who are you agreeing with??? Tailgating a thing of the past?? Tailgating will NEVER be a thing of the past !!! In case you didn't know it tailgating is a nationwide pastime.

maybe the teams should stick to running teams...

there is a helluva lot more things to do in this city, and those lots are obviously used more than 10 times a year... where do you think some of the people working everyday park at in the city?? If the owners of those lots thought they could make more money by developing those lots,don't you think they would ??

You know what would have been good for the tailgater's? If the Steelers would have built their new stadium in Washington County, Butler County, Monroeville, or maybe out by the airport somewhere. That way they could have built a stadium and surrounded it by acres of concrete so you guys could still have your tailgates.
    This is a totally asinine statement. If like you suggest, that the stadiums been built elsewhere how would this city make up all the lost revenue, taxes on tickets ,parking and such??

BTW, I live in Oakland.
    This probably explains why you don't like tailgating and are such a proponent for public transportation( the waste of money for the under river subway) you probably don't have a car,lol

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Tailgate Coordinator
    You know what would have been good for the tailgater's? If the Steelers would have built their new stadium in Washington County, Butler County, Monroeville, or maybe out by the airport somewhere. That way they could have built a stadium and surrounded it by acres of concrete so you guys could still have your tailgates.

Yeah, before Heinz was built I said they should move out of Pittsburgh in to Washington County. Wouldn't of bothered me 1 bit. More things to do? Anything that they decide to put into that area, you can find some where else in the aerea. It's not like Pittsburgh doesn't already have motels, bars, and restaraunts. I live 65 miles north of Pittsburgh, and go down there quite a bit.

I'm A "Champion"

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerlyn View Post
    Correct, I do live in Michigan. Maybe you should read this and enlighten yourself as to what sparks 90% of Pittsburgh's economy, keeping in mind that I did not write the article, they are merely facts that Pittsburgh's community leaders find in fact, after reading this, you may wish to retract the statement, there is more to Pittsburgh than the Steelers.:

http://www.sportspickle.com/features...208-towel.html

The City of Pittsburgh, long known for the steel industry that gave the town’s beloved Steelers football team its name now has an economy almost entirely based on the manufacturing and sale of Terrible Towels and other Steelers merchandise, according to a recent economic review of the city.

“The outstanding play of the Steelers over the past few years has not only reinvigorated the team’s already devoted fanbase, but it has also given the city an industry that has provided new jobs for more than 100,000 residents – the design, production and sale of Terrible Towels and other team apparel,” said Pittsburgh mayor Bob O’Connor. “In fact, nearly every citizen of the great city of Pittsburgh is today in some way employed by our exploding Terrible Towel industry.”

Now, however, city officials feel they have a self-sufficient signature industry that will thrive as long as the Pittsburgh Steelers exist.

“No team in sports receives as much support from their fans as the Steelers,” said team owner Dan Rooney. “You can slap a Steelers logo on a bottle of diarrhea and our fans will pay top dollar for it. I don’t see how this new Terrible-Towel based economy could possibly go bust. It’s an ingenious idea.”

Outside of the existing Terrible Towel manufacturing plants and the giant Terrible Towel shopping centers that already exist or are scheduled to be built in town, all of the city’s other existing businesses are seeing enormous residual benefits from the booming Towel industry.

For example, law firms throughout the city are flush with cases involving the sale of unlicensed Terrible Towels and personal injury lawsuits from those who have suffered injuries while waving the yellow towels. Pittsburgh’s trucking companies are busy delivering orders of towels to stores throughout the region; restaurants have gotten in on the boom by using Terrible Towel tablecloths or napkins, while some chefs have even taken to creating dishes using bits of the Towel as an ingredient or garnishing their creations with Terrible Towels. The list of affected industries is endless.

Mayor O’Connor says he thinks Pittsburgh’s Terrible Towel-fueled revitalization will provide a roadmap for struggling sports-crazed town across the country.

“With all the money we’re making I think the Penguins will even get a new arena out of all this,” said O’Connor. “As long as they promise to show Steelers highlights on the arena Jumbotron during their home games.”
    Ah Lyn the sportspickle is not real news, its satire.

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    Maybe a multilevel parking garage to accommodate all of the people who want to tailgate...

Who are you agreeing with??? Tailgating a thing of the past?? Tailgating will NEVER be a thing of the past !!! In case you didn't know it tailgating is a nationwide pastime.

maybe the teams should stick to running teams...

there is a helluva lot more things to do in this city, and those lots are obviously used more than 10 times a year... where do you think some of the people working everyday park at in the city?? If the owners of those lots thought they could make more money by developing those lots,don't you think they would ??

This is a totally asinine statement. If like you suggest, that the stadiums been built elsewhere how would this city make up all the lost revenue, taxes on tickets ,parking and such??

This probably explains why you don't like tailgating and are such a proponent for public transportation( the waste of money for the under river subway) you probably don't have a car,lol
    They do plan to build another parking garage, do you read the paper? I understand tailgating is a nationwide pastime, let me ask you, how many people tailgate for Cubs or Yankees games? Tailgating will not be the same in Pittsburgh as it was in the past. I've worked downtown for 7 years pal, I used to park in those same lots, believe me they're not filled everyday. Its asinine for you to believe the city needs the Steelers to be successful, read any economic study on sports teams, they aren't a cure all for a city. I have a car, thank you very much, and I drive to work everyday.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Friday let's you and I agree to disagree. Simply put, parking garages do not allow tailgating, as we know it. All I am saying is that it will be a great change for many of us who do tailgate. Also, economically, what does Pittsburgh have to depend upon if it is not tourism, and making money off of out of towners (hotels, motels, restaurants, bars, etc) and Steeler fans who traffic all kinds of stores in Pittsburgh?

You also say the sportspickle is not real news, it is satire. Okay, I will agree to a point, that point being a quote is a quote and the mayor, at that time said,

and this,

and although maybe out of context, and not a quote but true!

Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Tailgate Coordinator
    They do plan to build another parking garage, do you read the paper? I understand tailgating is a nationwide pastime, let me ask you, how many people tailgate for Cubs or Yankees games? Tailgating will not be the same in Pittsburgh as it was in the past. I've worked downtown for 7 years pal, I used to park in those same lots, believe me they're not filled everyday. Its asinine for you to believe the city needs the Steelers to be successful, read any economic study on sports teams, they aren't a cure all for a city. I have a car, thank you very much, and I drive to work everyday.
    I don't care what the Yankees and Cubs get. I don't follow those teams. Only reason the lots are empty, is that Alco took it over and made them reserved lots, this was dumb on there part. First come first serve was better. I am talking about game days, I have no idea on what they were like during the week.

I'm A "Champion"

Reppin' 724
    Since when do baseball fans tailgate anyways?

People have never gone downtown on a Wednesday just to park near a stadium and grill some burgers. I know I haven't been home for a while, but hell even here in Spokane, for the Shock (AFL2) games, there are thousands of people tailgating.

Baseball fans rarely tailgate, unless it the playoffs. It would be pretty hard to go and grill, and get drunk 81 times a summer. However, grilling and drinking a min. of 8 times throughout the fall, is a little easier.

Let's not compare apples to oranges,please. If you can, name one baseball team that has any regular tailgating ?? Playoffs not counted, there is no team that has regular season tailgating. On the same note name me one NFL team that doesn't have a regular tailgating contingent.

Using your logic that those lots are not filled every day,so they are not needed, this amphitheater and related shops will not be filled every day,so it's not needed.

At no point in time did I ever state that Pittsburgh needs the STEELERS to be successful. Does more retail development equal success?? No,a city can only support so much development. In order for Pittsburgh to be successful it needs to reevaluate its government and the incredible tax burden it puts on these businesses. Once these issues are addressed then maybe more businesses will make a home in the city, which may require more development. It seems to me that somebody is putting the cart before the horse.

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Let's not forget though, that the Steelers do play a part in the success of the city. The revenue that is brought in from fans who travel to the games, and all that goes into putting on a game every sunday does indeed help tremendously. And that's not just revenue during the season either but in the offseason when the stadium is used for other events. It's all a trickle down effect that does have an impact on any city.

Obviously the local and state governments need to be held accountable for how they run the city's finances, but every little part of the city including sports teams helps the city get better.

Thread Information