Thread: Steeler news

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Steeler news

CONTRACT TALK

Another experiment the Steelers will monitor is the move of right guard Kendall Simmons to center.

The team opened preliminary contract-extension talks with Simmons, Alan Faneca and Troy Polamalu, but are wary of becoming too involved with Simmons until he shows better potential at center than he has at guard.

The Steelers have had difficulty against teams with powerful defensive tackles across from Simmons because he’s more agile than strong. The team believes that agility could be put to better use at center, as it was with Dermontti Dawson and Jeff Hartings.

Of course, the Steelers signed free agent Sean Mahan to a $17.5 million contract just in case the move of Simmons doesn’t work. Last preseason, Simmons struggled with the shotgun snap but the team believes a full offseason at the position should correct the problem.

Unlike the Steelers’ stance with right tackle Max Starks -- who’s also entering the final season of his contract -- the team opened preliminary talks with Simmons because of the brewing problem at guard. Not only are the two starters entering their final contract seasons, but backup Chris Kemoeatu has yet to display an understanding of the offensive system, and the situation could only worsen for the third-year pro after new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians installs his changes.

The Steelers prefer a big, strong guard, such as Kemoeatu, and that’s why Mahan, a 301-pounder, would only be considered a stop-gap measure should Simmons win the job at center.

As for Starks, he’ll remain on the open market as a restricted free agent until April 20. Should another team sign him away, the Steelers would be compensated with a first-round draft pick. If not, the Steelers will gauge Starks’s physical condition at the minicamp.

According to a source with the team, if Starks is in shape, talks will begin on a contract extension. But if Starks reports close to the 400 pounds at which he reported last spring, the Steelers will let him play out his current contract.
    Hopefully Starks won't come into camp bloated and out of shape! Sounds to me like they have every intention of letting Simmons play center and Mahan will most likely play RG. If Starks comes into camp outta shape he will probably have to battle Willie Colon for the starting RT position.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

House of Steel
    Well if Starks get signed, we would get another first round pick. I wouldn't mind that one darn bit. I know we got problems as far as depth goes.

Great read B&G4evr

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I had gotten the impression from earlier reads on Sean Mayhan that he only wanted to (and agreed to) be signed here if he could have almost a guarantee of either center starting position--or at least have a fighting chance at it...(or starting RG)? This article makes it sound like there's a possibility he won't be starting at either position...

And why couldn't Kendall start pushin it hard on the weights so he could both agile and strong?? No matter which position, I'd think both attributes would be the best of both worlds!

And if Chris K still doesn't understand the offensive system, why don't they let him go and find someone that DOES (or could)??

It sure sounds like Mike's really been studyin some film...
    Last edited by SteelersWoman; 03-18-2007 at 06:03 AM.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    Well if Starks get signed, we would get another first round pick. I wouldn't mind that one darn bit. I know we got problems as far as depth goes.
    No offense House no team in their right mind would sign Starks at this point and give up a first round pick.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Starks will be with us in training camp, nobody is going to give up a first rounder for him. It's up to him to make sure he doesn't become the next Jamain Stephens. Max has all the potential in the world to be the RT we need for years to come. He showed alot of improvement over the first 2 years he's been with us, but last year he struggled along with the rest of the line so Im hoping he comes in fit and ready to claim his job !

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Starks will be with us in training camp, nobody is going to give up a first rounder for him. It's up to him to make sure he doesn't become the next Jamain Stephens. Max has all the potential in the world to be the RT we need for years to come. He showed alot of improvement over the first 2 years he's been with us, but last year he struggled along with the rest of the line so Im hoping he comes in fit and ready to claim his job !
    I agree Top.

I second that,,,,,,

Thread Information