Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers: won't regret Porter decision

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Steelers: won't regret Porter decision

By Dale Lolley
    For SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted Mar 16, 2007

Sports Illustrated's Michael Silver was right about the Mike Tomlin hiring but he's wrong about the Steelers' decision to release Joey Porter.

According to Sports Illustrated’s Michael Silver the Pittsburgh Steelers will regret allowing linebacker Joey Porter to go.

He even went as far as to compare the Steelers allowing Porter to leave to the San Francisco 49ers allowing Ronnie Lott to leave as a free agent in 1991.

Sorry, I’m not buying the comparison.

In his prime, Joey Porter was a good player capable of sometimes great things. But he’s not that player any longer.

To compare him to a Hall of Fame player such as Lott is, well, ludicrous.

Anybody who saw Porter play the past two seasons on a consistent basis knows that Porter no longer has the explosion that once made him so good.

Was he still an effective player?

Sure, at times, Porter would show flashes of his old self. But more often than not, Porter spent his time being engulfed by opposing blockers who no longer feared him using his once-excellent burst to beat them to the outside.

For that, he was not worth the $5 million the Steelers would have had to pay him in 2007. Nor was he worth the distraction a potential holdout would have caused new head coach Mike Tomlin in his first season with the team.

It's also up for consideration that the apparently straight-laced Tomlin didn't want a guy like the Porter around mucking up his team.

Porter's mouth, after all, got him into more than a little bit of trouble in the past couple of years for saying things he probably shouldn't have.

Silver was the guy who first broke the story that the Steelers were going to hire Tomlin as their next head coach. And despite varying reports in the 24 hours following that report, Silver turned out to be correct.

But in this case, he’s wrong.

Dale Lolley appears courtesy of the Observer-Reporter

Time will tell my friends, time will tell. Joey was also a leader and motivator on this team. Was he worth almost 6 mil per year? Probably not. But I for one will miss the patented drop kick after a tackle in the backfield or a sack!
    Thanks for the contribution that you made to this team, Joey Porter! We will miss you!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

I agree, aand i too will miss that kick, and how it always got the other team ,and its fans mad. Particularly the Bengals. But i believe we did the right thing.
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

thanks HOS for the sig!

My Mood
    Chatty
    I totally agree with this article and like I've said before, Joey is going to have a phenominal year, too bad it won't be for us!! I definately think we screwed up here!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

Quote Originally Posted by TampaSteelGirl View Post
    I totally agree with this article and like I've said before, Joey is going to have a phenominal year, too bad it won't be for us!! I definately think we screwed up here!
    porter was an emotional leader, and he will be missed, but i do not think this year will be a good one for him. I sense that he will not be the Joey porter that he was for us. Time will tell though.

thanks HOS for the sig!

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    I agree with the article.
    Think about it, if it was not for Porters mouth and pregame antics at the 50 yard line, outside of Steeler Nation, Porter would not of been a household name. His play on the field has been average at best in comparison with other OLB's in the league.
    Halfway through the next season we will forget about Porter when one of our Harrisons (James or Arnold) light up a Qb, back or a reciever and come up with a new celebration that we can enjoy.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This article is what people think who don't know our players, system and what our LB's are asked to do on the field, or ones that just have it out for Porter because he was a trash talker, or any number of reasons. Just because Joey didn't have double digit sacks or 90 tackles that he wasn't productive. Gimme a break !

The dude took on double teams nearly all game long, dropped into coverage, acted as decoy's in different situations, sometimes he chased the QB, sometime's he'd cover the TE, or RB in the flat, the man did it all for us and he will be missed. You can see it in every player interview since he's been gone, they all will miss his leadership on and off the field. The guy was as respected as they come in the locker room and on the field.

Yes he will be missed, you can bank on it. When he was out last year for a few games we missed him. Is is unreplaceable, no, nobody is. Was he worth 6 million a year? probably not but only because I don't think anybody is worth that much money no matter who you are or what your stats are. I for one for definitely miss him and somebody will have to step up and be the emotional leader of this team. Who that is at this point is anybody's guess. The players on any team need that, they know it, so hopefully somebody steps up to take on that roll for us. I bleed black n gold to the end and I always will. We all know the team releases players all the time, we're used to it. We've beaten this topic to death
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 03-16-2007 at 10:18 AM.

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    We don't have to look to far for a replacment.

Gold Standard

Calm down

Yes he will be missed, you can bank on it. When he was out last year for a few games we missed him. Is is unreplaceable, no, nobody is. Was he worth 6 million a year? probably not but only because I don't think anybody is worth that much money no matter who you are or what your stats are. I for one for definitely miss him and somebody will have to step up and be the emotional leader of this team. Who that is at this point is anybody's guess. The players on any team need that, they know it, so hopefully somebody steps up to take on that roll for us. I bleed black n gold to the end and I always will. We all know the team releases players all the time, we're used to it. We've beaten this topic to death

Just posting articles from scout.com It's not my story. But I did think it was a good follow on story to the Brett Keisel interview because he spoke of that leadership that Porter provided the team as the emotional leader! The guy who was always in the center of the huddle motivating and inspiring others to greatness! That role as inspirational leader and motivator is not one that every player can assume. It takes certain types of personalities to take that baton. I don't think Troy or Aaron Smith could do it because they are both quiet and introverted. Maybe James Harrison can fill it, he seems like a hot head!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

House of Steel
    Sal, I just love that video. Wow!!! Joey's signature move isn't called a drop kick, it is called the boot, saying, GET THAT **** OUT OF MY HOUSE!!! I am going to miss Joey, but Harrison is one I've been wanting to see start. He is a mean former Golden Flashes from my alma mater, Kent State. This guy is going to bring nasty to Blitzburgh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    Sal, I just love that video. Wow!!! Joey's signature move isn't called a drop kick, it is called the boot, saying, GET THAT **** OUT OF MY HOUSE!!! I am going to miss Joey, but Harrison is one I've been wanting to see start. He is a mean former Golden Flashes from my alma mater, Kent State. This guy is going to bring nasty to Blitzburgh!!!
    I hope so!

thanks HOS for the sig!

Thread Information