Thread: SA's exclusive breakdown of Steelers Draft Prospect, Purdue Anthony Spencer

Bookmark and Share
    House of Steel

SA's exclusive breakdown of Steelers Draft Prospect, Purdue Anthony Spencer

House of Steel's Profile of Steelers Draft Prospect:

Purdue University's Anthony Spencer 49
    Defensive End/6 foot 3 inches/261 lbs.
    Hometown: Fort Wayne, Ind.
    40-time: 4.73

Anthony Spencer is one of the many players that the Pittsburgh Steelers are intrigued and tempting to pick up in the first round of the 2007 NFL Draft. If you would ask me, who should we get, this man would give us a pass rusher from hell that would bring the Blitz back into Blitzburgh almost immediately. Spencer would be a great weapon for Tomlin's system and for Dick LeBeau exotic blitz package. The speed and endurance is what this man complete.

So, what makes Anthony Spencer complete? If you would look back at his impressive 4 year career at Purdue, it is marked with excellence and brillance.

In his carrer, he ranks 13th on Purdue's career sacks list with 10.5.. has 23 lifetime starts at defensive end, tied for most by current Purdue defensive player with linebacker George Hall.

In 2005, Spencer started all 11 games. He topped team and ranked tied for second in the Big Ten with three forced fumbles and ranked fourth on the squad with 7.5 tackles for loss and 3.0 sacks..had 23 tackles (16 solo, 7 assists) with one pass breakup and fumble recovery..recorded sacks in the first two games vs. Akron and at Arizona. Also recorded a forced fumble in the Akron game.

In 2004, Spencer was named to the Ted Hendricks Defensive Player of the Year Award List....named honorable mention All-Big Ten by coaches and the media...started in all 12 games...tied for the Big Ten lead with three forced fumbles ..ranked third on the team and tied for sixth in the Big Ten Conference with 7.5 sacks.

In 2003, appeared in just 10 games as reserve and on special teams..had 6 tackles (3 solos, 3 assists).

Scouting Reports:

Strengths:
    An excellent athlete with awesome speed..He is turly a playmaker who is very active with a great motor and always around the action (reminds me of Troy Polamalu)..Versatile and has experience dropping into coverage..Natural Pass Rusher with a knach for getting after the quarterback and making plays in the backfield (Something that always has been a characterstic of the Blitzburgh Defense).. Extremely productive...A good techinican who plays with solid leverage..is relatively stout against the run for his size.. Experienced and battle tested.. Good range with a burst to close fast.. Super smart and very instincitive.

Weaknesses:
    Finding them is pretty difficult with Anthony Spencer, but he does come with some flaws as far as being undersized and doesn't have either the height or bulk some are looking for.. A "tweener" who might not have a true pro position.. not very explosive and needs to develop a wider array of pass rush moves.. Struggles to shed blocks and can be engulfed by massive offensive linemen.. Agility and change of direction skills are question marks...My question is this, will he be able to handle coverage? May have to learn a new position in the NFL.

Notes:
    Overshadowed by Ray Edwards and Rob Ninkovich, who are both now in the National Football League early in his career but had a phenomenal Senior season to put himself on the radar. His stock has now soared to new heights on the NFL charts. Could end up being one of the top 3-4 outside linebacker prospects available. Still has some upside and could be a major workout warrior.. Teams will need to see him in a positional drills to determine if he will be able to make the move to linebacker but if he shows well for there to be a major demand for this guy. He proved this at the combine in Indianapolis. Look for him to be a first round mid to early second round.

Sum up:
    Anthony Spencer could bring a much needed depth to the defensive standpoint at LB, or even as a Speed Pass Rusher as MLB. I definitely believe, Tomlin and LeBeau will give this man a serious look.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Nice write up HOS!! Thats about what I saw at the combines as far as weakness, is his pass coverage skills. He wasn't that fluid in changing direction, he did have better hands then most of the other players. I've said this before but I was looking for more natural ability to switch over from DE to OLB especially in coverage, dropping back and changing directions without stumbling or getting hung up. Didn't really see to much of that from that bunch at the combine. But it was the combine, nothing that can't be fixed in training camp. Tomlin would help in a big way with that.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Yeah he looked stiff dropping back, Moss looked very comfortable dropping back, and Adams was perfect

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Yeah he looked stiff dropping back, Moss looked very comfortable dropping back, and Adams was perfect
    Very nice write up House. Good job bro.

Adams is just a ****ing beast. I swear if he fell to 15 (it won't happen) then I would be very happy man.

seriously his combine was flawless....it would be amazing, so hopefully branch will go to someone who needs defense, andersons getting seymour comparisons, so mabey he'll go.....and if something like that happens, mabey an offensive prospect (quinn) would drop enough that a team couldnt pass him up.....its unlikely but crazier things have happend and im not sure what i'd do if we got adams lol

Thread Information