Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Even the little fish getting away!

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Gold Standard
    BlackGold4vr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    China Lake, Ca
    Posts
    5,170

    Even the little fish getting away!

    By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted Mar 9, 2007

    PITTSBURGH – The Steelers don’t have the cap space to sign big-name free agents this year, and it’s becoming apparent they can’t sign unheralded players, either.

    Sean Mahan and Colby Bockwoldt came and went Friday without deals. Moran hopped a plane headed back to Tampa, where he’s expected to continue negotiating with the Buccaneers.
    Bockwoldt, who told reporters he wanted to sign with the Steelers over any other team, also was expected to leave Pittsburgh.

    Moran is the guard-center from Tampa Bay whom the Steelers hoped to compete for the center position.

    Bockwoldt is a 6-foot-1, 237-pound outside linebacker who figured to add depth and play special teams. He said Pittsburgh “is definitely a place that I want to be. I know a few players here: Brett Keisel, Chris Hoke, Shaun Nua, all my BYU guys. And they had nothing but great things to say about this team, this city, this organization, the people that work here.”

    New Orleans drafted Bockwoldt out of BYU in 2004 and he started the final seven games of his rookie season at outside linebacker. He started all 16 games for the Saints in 2005 and led the team in tackles, but was cut at the end of the 2006 training camp.

    “Any time a coaching staff leaves – the entire coaching staff left – you don’t have anybody left to fight for you,” he said. “That’s kind of how the business goes.”

    The Tennessee Titans signed Bockwoldt and he played in all 16 games last season with one start, but the Titans didn’t make him a qualifying offer to become a restricted free agent this month. The 26-year-old has 114 career tackles with two sacks and three fumble recoveries. He said the Titans and 49ers have made him offers.

    Mahan hoped to replace the retired Jeff Hartings, but said of the Steelers: “They also have the idea of maybe trying Kendall Simmons out at center, too.”

    He said his decision won’t be based solely on money.

    “I plan on being a starter,” he said, “so I’m not going to go someplace and not play.”

    Mahan renewed acquaintances Friday with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who was part of the Tampa Bay coaching staff during Mahan’s first three years in the league.

    “He’s a great coach. I admire him. I have a lot of respect for him,” Mahan said. “I’d be here even if he wasn’t here, but it’s nice knowing he’s here.”

    Can't even afford the 2nd stringers in the free agent market. Guess we better have a monster draft!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

  2. #2
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,682
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    yeah it's pretty bad when even the backup FA's can't even get a deal with us. Even with the cap being what 109 million? and us dropping players and saving money we can still can't sign anyone..that is assuming we actually wanted them in the first place...

  3. #3
    BlacknGold Bleeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    da Burgh
    Posts
    5,384
    who says we really even wanted them???




    BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

  4. #4
    Top 30 BBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    who says we really even wanted them???
    Exactly.

    One 8-8 season in Pittsburgh and the sky is falling. Name a loss at the position of linebacker that has ever had an effect on the Steelers in recent history. Look at the history. Players are notorious for looking a lot better in Pittsburgh than they looked anywhere else, and more often than not, they are non-factors in their new homes (especially at the LB position).

    So we lost Porter and we didn't sign two players that would be all but useless to us next season. So what?

  5. #5
    2nd String steelcurtaingal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    your mind
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by BBC View Post
    Exactly.

    One 8-8 season in Pittsburgh and the sky is falling. Name a loss at the position of linebacker that has ever had an effect on the Steelers in recent history. Look at the history. Players are notorious for looking a lot better in Pittsburgh than they looked anywhere else, and more often than not, they are non-factors in their new homes (especially at the LB position).

    So we lost Porter and we didn't sign two players that would be all but useless to us next season. So what?
    are you serious, the sky isnt falling? lol, i agree. they would have been useless, and it would not have mattered who was coach, Porter was a goner.
    black and gold born, black and gold bred
    when i die, i will be black and gold dead

    thanks HOS for the sig!

  6. #6
    Gold Standard
    BlackGold4vr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    China Lake, Ca
    Posts
    5,170

    Rather go with rookies!

    As long as the Steelers pick a DE/OLB, OL and RB on day 1 we will have a successful draft. Pass rush is a big concern! O-line needs depth, same with RB.

    Day 2 I think should bring another LB, WR and a punter.

    We should have 9 picks and I don't think that many players can make a team that is a year removed from being world champions! So IMO we have about 2 or 3 picks that can be used as leverage to move! Before someone jumps on me and reminds me that we can't trade compensatory picks....I know this. But we can trade any of the original 7 picks to move up!

    On defense we have Chris Hoke and James Harrison in reserve and both can play! Remember in our SB year Hampton went down and Hoke played a lot of games for us and there was NOT a drop-off in performance! In one of Jim Wexells articles he made a comment that if we took Okoye that Okoye could't even beat out Hoke for playing time! We have decent depth in our secondary but a day 2 pick wouldn't shock me!

    On offense, the offensive line is really the biggest concern! Against the better teams in the NFL we were dominated. I don't think the O-line is very far off from being great again. I think we already have the players who can start for the 2007 Steelers on the roster. We just need to add some depth and give some of these guys a push in training camp with some competition!
    Another quality possession receiver (im pimpin Steve Smith from USC) would help us run that spread offense. I would like to see the Steelers give that guy Chris Henry a try from Arizona. By the way Chris Henry has moved way up the depth chart on the draft board. He is currently listed 9th! At 5'11 and 230 pounds with 4.32 40 times that is a game breaker! 5'11 and 230 is a pretty stout guy! Add 4.3 speed on top of the power runner physique....wow! He could be special! Very excited about this coming season.

    Rod Woodson when asked which team in the AFC North will challenge the Ratbirds for the division? Answered.......Bungals! Was this guy ever a Steeler? Traitor!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

  7. #7
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    As long as the Steelers pick a DE/OLB, OL and RB on day 1 we will have a successful draft. Pass rush is a big concern! O-line needs depth, same with RB.

    Day 2 I think should bring another LB, WR and a punter.

    We should have 9 picks and I don't think that many players can make a team that is a year removed from being world champions! So IMO we have about 2 or 3 picks that can be used as leverage to move! Before someone jumps on me and reminds me that we can't trade compensatory picks....I know this. But we can trade any of the original 7 picks to move up!

    On defense we have Chris Hoke and James Harrison in reserve and both can play! Remember in our SB year Hampton went down and Hoke played a lot of games for us and there was NOT a drop-off in performance! In one of Jim Wexells articles he made a comment that if we took Okoye that Okoye could't even beat out Hoke for playing time! We have decent depth in our secondary but a day 2 pick wouldn't shock me!

    On offense, the offensive line is really the biggest concern! Against the better teams in the NFL we were dominated. I don't think the O-line is very far off from being great again. I think we already have the players who can start for the 2007 Steelers on the roster. We just need to add some depth and give some of these guys a push in training camp with some competition!
    Another quality possession receiver (im pimpin Steve Smith from USC) would help us run that spread offense. I would like to see the Steelers give that guy Chris Henry a try from Arizona. By the way Chris Henry has moved way up the depth chart on the draft board. He is currently listed 9th! At 5'11 and 230 pounds with 4.32 40 times that is a game breaker! 5'11 and 230 is a pretty stout guy! Add 4.3 speed on top of the power runner physique....wow! He could be special! Very excited about this coming season.

    Rod Woodson when asked which team in the AFC North will challenge the Ratbirds for the division? Answered.......Bungals! Was this guy ever a Steeler? Traitor!
    Agree we need pass rushers bigtime. So Spencer, Moss or whoever. Just as long its an DE/OLB then I will be happy. Pass rush is the biggest concern in my mind right now.

    I'm not as worried about the Oline as some. I still think Max Starks can be very good even though I knock him left and right.lol I say put Willie Colon at RG. He is better suited for OG anyway. I hope Marvin Phillip wins the starting center job. He was a top center prospect before he went on his morman mission. The left side of the Oline is set. Just hope Faneca starts being a happy camper.

    Still though drafting Oline is always a wise idea.

    I agree with you on Steve Smith and Chris Henry totally. I also wouldn't Daniel Sepuldeva drafted especailly since the Steelers will get some extra picks.

    A LB like Tim Shaw would be smart especially for special teams.

    Great post bro and I agree with you on alot of the Steelers draft needs.

  8. #8
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    I thought with the retirement of Jeff Hartings and cutting Joey Porter gave us some cap room?

  9. #9
    Draft Pick tony hipchest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    281
    these little fish who are coming in desperately want to go to a situation where they are guranteed or have a great shot at a starting position. simmons is a sb champion veteran. does anyone really believe this guy is gonna beat him out of a spot in camp?

    steelerfans have been waiting to get harrison on the field for 3 years. now that porter is gone, its like its panic time and harrison is forgotten. everybody seems to forget that porter, haggans, gildon, foote, and even vrabel had to serve their time on the bench before they got a crack at the starting lineup. this guy from n.o. seems like he could be a good prospect at the right price (and could potentially save us a draft pick who is liable to get cut) but does anyone really think he is gonna just push harrison out of the way for a starting spot? even t. banta cain recognized there wasnt a starting spot waiting for him in the burgh. we are already set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I thought with the retirement of Jeff Hartings and cutting Joey Porter gave us some cap room?
    this kinda had me stumped too. add to them the relief we get from cutting duce and haynes.

    but for bonuses earned last year our cap drops from 109 mil to 106. we were already 2 mil over, and we need atleast 3 mil to sign our rookies.

    -3
    -2
    -3
    ___
    = 8 mil we needed just to get under and pay for this years crop of rookies. (which explains why joey porter was indeed a cap casualty cause if it wasnt him it woulda been someone else). any signings we do will be pretty much off of the little we saved by restructuring aaron smiths deal.

  10. #10
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,682
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We should be used to this every year we see all these players signing for big money, although this year there seems to be alot more movement than usual, but still seeing all these big names always pass us by makes me wonder sometimes, what if...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •