Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: decent draft breakdown

Bookmark and Share

decent draft breakdown

this is a decent breakdown i found....i dont agree with corner being #3, but 1 and 2 are right on the money

An in-depth look at the Steelers' needs heading into the 2007 draft:

1. Outside linebacker. There's no sense mulling over the release of Joey Porter and his subsequent signing with AFC rival Miami; it's time for the team to find his replacement. The Steelers need a dominant pass-rushing outside linebacker and usually seek undersized defensive ends who can be converted. Purdue defensive end Anthony Spencer, an early-round option, has the athleticism to make the switch. Georgia's Quentin Moses is another 'tweener possibility on Day 1. However, if the Steelers decide to acquire personnel for an eventual switch to a 4-3 defense, they might take a linebacker who's stronger in run support and coverage.

2. Running back. The team has its feature back in Willie Parker but needs a power back for short-yardage situations and to help with ball control. Najeh Davenport, who was re-signed, was decent last season but is injury-prone and doesn't explode into a pile. Louisville's Michael Bush is the type of back the Steelers want.

3. Cornerback. At the very least, the Steelers would like to add depth at corner, but they might need someone who can play right away, particularly if Ricardo Colclough doesn't come back from a neck injury. The team might consider taking a corner in the first round if a player such as California's Daymeion Hughes is available. The Steelers like tough, physical cornerbacks who can play the run, but their blitzing style of defense also requires corners who can play man coverage.

4. Defensive end. The team doesn't have much good depth behind starters Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel and needs a young player who can be an effective part of the rotation. Ideally, the Steelers would add a pass-rushing end who could spell either of the starters in third-down situations.

5. Wide receiver. This isn't a need that must be addressed immediately, in large part because Santonio Holmes showed big-play ability as a rookie last season and will get a larger role. Still, with the 15th overall pick, there's always the temptation to draft a talented skill player, and if Southern California's Dwayne Jarrett is available, he might be too tempting to ignore.

6. Center. The retirement of Jeff Hartings leaves the position to longtime backup Chukky Okobi. The team thinks Marvin Philip, a 2006 sixth-round pick, eventually could be the starter but might draft a center on Day 1 to ensure it will have someone to man the position for years to come. It will look for an athletic center with sound technique.

7. Guard. Depth is a concern; the only real backup is Chris Kemoeatu, and it's possible right guard Kendall Simmons could move to center to replace Hartings. Expect the Steelers to address the position in the fourth or fifth round. They rely on their linemen to pull on counter plays, so a quick-footed guard is a must. Hawaii's Tala Esera fits the bill, and the team could take him if he's available on Day 2.

OUTLOOK

The Steelers have built their nucleus through the draft, and that won't change under new coach Mike Tomlin. If the team doesn't sign a free-agent outside linebacker, it almost certainly will use its top pick on someone who can replace Porter. If Tomlin wants to make use of a 4-3 scheme, the qualities the team targets in an outside linebacker will change, and Pittsburgh probably will need to find a good defensive tackle to pair with Casey Hampton.

The Steelers also have to beware of deteriorating situations at cornerback and center. On Day 2, they'll look to bolster offensive line depth and could take a punter in a late round.

That is a pretty good breakdown... did you write it?

no i wouldnt have corner at 3 lol....i found it

ok... I was thinking a corner at 3 is a little high as well. A corner can really be picked up at anytime and there are far bigger spots to fill than a corner IMO, the line should be addressed before the corner...

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    I think Corner is a problem for us well dont have really anyone that great

i think we have a good group of DBs with Mcfadden, Taylor, Smith and troy....townsend is a good backup/starter and mabye we can address depth later on....i think Mixon from cal would be a great guy to take a chance on...but other issues need to be addressed first imo

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we have a good group of DBs with Mcfadden, Taylor, Smith and troy....townsend is a good backup/starter and mabye we can address depth later on....i think Mixon from cal would be a great guy to take a chance on...but other issues need to be addressed first imo
    I no we got good Saftey but McFadden only CB i have a little confedence in
    but Ike isnt that good at all

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I'd think we'd get OL help before a CB or even a RB. Ike will turn it around this year

Just my opinion but heres what I'd like to see happen:

1. OLB/DE
    2. OL
    3. RB
    4. OLB/DE
    5. OL
    6. CB/WR
    7. CB/WR/P

All this depending on what we do in free agency if we do anything at all.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Mine
    1. OLB
    2. DE
    3. CB
    4. WR
    5. RB
    6. OL
    101. Punters

i think ike will have a breakout year....especially with tomlin.....tomlin should do ikes career wonders imo

Thread Information