Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More info on Banta-Cain's visit...Ike's deal now thru 2010

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

More info on Banta-Cain's visit...Ike's deal now thru 2010

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_496285.html

Linebacker Tully Banta-Cain, an unrestricted free agent, will visit the Steelers with at least one contract offer already in his possession. But if the Steelers meet Banta-Cain's financial demands, there's a reasonable chance he could become the team's newest defensive player.

Banta-Cain received an offer from St. Louis when he visited the Rams over the weekend, but he elected to meet with other suitors. He was scheduled to visit San

Francisco on Monday and today and is expected to meet with Steelers officials Wednesday.

He's also received interest from Tampa Bay, Miami and Philadelphia, as well as New England, which selected him in the seventh round of the 2003 draft and where he spent his first four NFL seasons.

Banta-Cain is attractive to the Steelers because he's only 26, not to mention that he finished the season with 43 tackles and 5 1/2 sacks as a part-time starter and is versatile enough to play outside linebacker or defensive end in either a 3-4 or 4-3 formation.

"Tully's looking forward to the visit with the Steelers,'' agent James Sims said. "Our intention has always been to establish some familiarity. He started midway through the season (replacing injured starter Junior Seau), but he was a prominent player in that defense on rushing downs. He's a natural pass-rusher, but he also plays down, he plays up.

"It's just a matter of finding the right fit, right opportunity. The Steelers' tradition is one of the things he's excited about.''

The Steelers are considering other unrestricted free agents, including their own. Safety Tyrone Carter plans to visit other teams but wants to re-sign with the Steelers, who contacted him before the start of free agency.

"It's a good fit for both sides," agent Jack Bechta said of Carter, who had a base salary of $625,000 in 2006.

Also yesterday, the Steelers exercised their option on a $1.4 million bonus for cornerback Ike Taylor that extends his contract an additional year through 2010.

Taylor signed a four-year extension worth $5.25 million per year before the start of last season. He's also due to receive a $300,000 roster bonus at the end of training camp.
    That reassures us that the team is committed to Ike and believes whatever problems he had last year are behind him. This would also tell me that a DB on day 1 this draft isn't going to happen unless somebody really falls to us late in the day. I still would like to see them pick up one maybe early on day 2 just to help with depth since Coc is worthless.

If the team likes Banta-Cain, it doesn't appear that it would take that much to get him here if he's willing to come see us with a contract already in hand. If we do land this dude, we better not pass on Spencer in the first round because we need more than just 1 guy.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 03-06-2007 at 12:25 AM.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    ike's failures was mainly cause he had a coach that didn't believe in him one bit, now tomlin has come in and helped pick his head up and is giving him more confidence.......damn i can't wait till next season

i don't know much about this other guy to give a damn about him, but it's whatever i got faith in harrison for a year at least and then moss/spencer to come in and kill everyone lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

If we can get him at a good price he could fill in more than adequately !!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

i would be happy with TBC, ive been saying it for a while, hes kinda in the same situation as harrison, around the same age and really just getting the opportunity.

This however doesnt mean we arent drafting moss/spencer *(yes i do believe moss has by passed spencer in my rankings, not by much but.....) i am 99.997% sure we draft an OLB in the first and the only way that doesnt happen is if Johnson or thomas fall to us (lol).

i agree, last years ike was cowher fault. Timlin was a DB coach in tampa....our secondary should be nasty......

TBC adds some great depth and hes one of the best guys available right now. im happy with any new player really, we never sign anyone lol

*note:i dont know what the **** im talking about when i say who i want, it changes daily lol, moss/spencer spencer moss.....just get both of them!
    Last edited by K Train; 03-06-2007 at 01:02 AM.

Well, the Rams have a ton of room under the cap, so if we get in a bidding war we're sure to lose.

But, now that I think about it, I'm not sure about TBC. Sure, from what I've seen of him, he seems to be an ***. And the people who have watched him all his career aren't too high on him as anything more than a 1 dimensional role player, but who knows? Vrabel was worthless here, then he went to the Dark Side and became a consistant contributor. Maybe TBC can come to the Light Side and shine, and we can all laugh at the Pats. After all, if the Steelers are so interested in him, they must really see something in him.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    The thing is the Steelers have no depth at OLB so they have to bring in somebody. Even if they draft an OLB in the first round they still would need another body unless you want to go into next season with Arnold Harrison again.lol I think Cain is better then A. Harrison. If not Cain then take a look at A. Peek.

As for Ike Taylor yes he had a down year. But the Steelers lack of a pass rush really hurt the whole secondary at times. Plus I think Tomlin is going to do wonders for Ike. He did coach Pro Bowl talents in Tampa Bay when he was the DB's coach.

Banta-Cain signed with the 49ers...

Gold Standard

Great...tired of hearing about him!

Quote Originally Posted by BB2W View Post
    Banta-Cain signed with the 49ers...

Great place for him! Maybe Mike Singletary can make a player out of him!

Between: Spencer/Moss, J. Harrison, and Tim Shaw I think we should have things covered! Harrison is ready for his shot! He has waited in the wings long enough. Farrior, Foote and Haggans will probably hold onto their jobs this year and whomever we pick between Spencer/Moss will fill in as emergency subs and special teams. Next year when we shed Clarke Haggans contract Spencer/Moss should be ready for full time work in that spot! Won't be surprised if ILB becomes a priority next year with James Farrior creeping up there in age. I think our defense will be fine!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

i think haggans might get outplayed by a rookie this year

Gold Standard

He held his own last year!

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think haggans might get outplayed by a rookie this year

If you look at defensive stats from last year Haggans held his own! Porter appeared to be the weak link. Haggans had a lot more tackles, solo tackles, assists, and only 1 less sack than Porter with 6. Not sure if that is because teams perceived Haggans side to be weaker and ran to that side more often? I can't answer that question. With James Harrison filling in Porters vacancy I guess we will see right away which side of our defense is tougher to run against. My guess is that they will find ways to get Spencer/Moss some playing time one way or another! Haggans is a 4 million dollar salary cap hit so I doubt he will sit on the bench! Guarantee Spencer/Moss rookie salary won't even get close to sniffing that number! We will probably pay all of our rookies combined less money than Haggans will make next year!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Thread Information