Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers look for Porter's replacement

Bookmark and Share
    Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    There is no gurantee we will sign banta-cain. Maybe if we do. He will step up his game. You never know.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

keep in mind we have never had huge name linebackers, LBs thrive in our defense, our defense made porter what he is....we have a tendency to plug a LB in and have success, sure Joey turned out to be a superstar player but who knows who can come in and do the same thing he did. Personally i think Harrison is porters replacement and i think hes a damn good one. I also think that Moss or spencer will come in and push haggans out.

We might be be better of with drafting an olb in the 1st and mabey the fourth because it didnt take long to go from stacked at LB to very thin.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Drafting a LB is the optimal situation for us because we can mold them into what we want them to be in our system. I hate being thin at that position so we may take one in FA just to bolster the depth but I really hope we grab 1 in the 1st round and atleast 2 overall in the draft.

Gold Standard

Why him?

Why not just draft a great OLB and let him play? Why are we looking to replace a high priced player through free agency? Could a player who isn't good enough to start on most teams be better than the countless players coming out of college this year with excellent football pedigrees? Banta-Cain was a 6th round draft choice 3 or 4 years ago. I can name a dozen or more players that I would rather have right out of college than this guy! Am I missing something or aren't the linebackers the key to running a successful 3-4 defense? We need another stud in there like an Anthony Spencer or a Paul Posluzny.......not a Banta-Cain!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Gold Standard

New England runs a 3-4 too!

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    keep in mind we have never had huge name linebackers, LBs thrive in our defense, our defense made porter what he is....we have a tendency to plug a LB in and have success, sure Joey turned out to be a superstar player but who knows who can come in and do the same thing he did. Personally i think Harrison is porters replacement and i think hes a damn good one. I also think that Moss or spencer will come in and push haggans out.
    I suppose our 3-4 defense is nothing like the 3-4 defense that Banta-Cain was so mediocre in?
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Gold Standard

Thats what im talkin bout!

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Drafting a LB is the optimal situation for us because we can mold them into what we want them to be in our system. I hate being thin at that position so we may take one in FA just to bolster the depth but I really hope we grab 1 in the 1st round and atleast 2 overall in the draft.

One in the first round and another early on day 2!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    If I'm the Steelers I would explore signing Tully Banta-Cain or even Antwan Peek. They need depth at the position even if they draft an OLB. Plus think Clark Haggans is going to be a free agent and I doubt he will be resigned. So it would wise to bring in a free agent and draft a player to give them a year under our system.

Hmm, now that I think about it, there would be ONE good thing about signing TBC. If he somehow turns out to be good in the Steelers system, we can laugh at the Pats and have an answer for that ******* Vrabel.

As for the draft, I think that's crucial. We can't afford another Alonzo Jackson.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan87 View Post
    Hmm, now that I think about it, there would be ONE good thing about signing TBC. If he somehow turns out to be good in the Steelers system, we can laugh at the Pats and have an answer for that ******* Vrabel.

As for the draft, I think that's crucial. We can't afford another Alonzo Jackson.
    Never say the name Alonzo Jackson again. Oh God you know how bad that would be if the Steelers draft Spencer or Moss and they turn out to be another Alonzo Jackson.lol

I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Cain or Peek. The Steelers have some depth concerns and those two seem to be the best left of the free agent OLB.

So Tomlin/Colbert basically have to hit a home run when they draft a DE turned OLB. The track record of the Steelers doing this speaks for itself but that name I don't want to type haunts the Steelers.lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This draft is so very important it's just amazing. Every draft is important to our growth and continued ability to be competitive, but this year with us being thin at LB and needing OL help we need to be right on with every day 1 pick and as many day 2 picks as possible. We can't afford to pick up 5 day 2 picks and then cut them all before the season starts again.

Thread Information