Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 73

Thread: Porters departure troubles Steeler players

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #21
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BB2W View Post
    It seemed like the end of the world when they lost Nickerson, Brown, Lloyd, Kirkland, Holmes, etc. The team will move on... once camp starts the team will form it's own identity and just play football.
    Dude good post. Exactly growing up a Steelers fan in the free agency era like I did taught me how Pro Sports is a business. I used to get some upset seeing the players leave like the ones you named. Now I just know players/coaches come and they go but the Pittsburgh Steelers remain. I wish Joey Porter could have remained a Steelers but it didn't happen. Time to move on.

  2. #22
    Starter kgreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Somewhere Between Canada and Mexico
    Posts
    1,286
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcurtaindad View Post
    I believe someone named Noll was quoted as saying "Franco who?" after the release of the star RB. The Steeler's made the playoffs that year.
    He was being sarcastic when he said that by the way.


    "When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

  3. #23
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by BB2W View Post
    It seemed like the end of the world when they lost Nickerson, Brown, Lloyd, Kirkland, Holmes, etc. The team will move on... once camp starts the team will form it's own identity and just play football.
    Well not so much when those guys left because we had guys ready to step in right behind them. Sure we were probably all upset to see those guys go, I know I was. Kirkland was awesome, so was Lloyd, Chad Brown, etc but we had guys groomed and ready to step in..the difference with Porter leaving this year is that we have nobody there capable of filling his shoes either in a leadership role or level of play on the field. James Harrison has potential sure, but he's unproven and has been hurt in the past. Arnold Harrison has barely played at all and Haggans is overrated. If we take a draft pick he'll almost be forced to step in right away which may not necessarily be a bad thing but it's not the optimal situation for a team who's strength is the LB's. We're not a big FA player either so that limits what we can do as well.

    Who the hell knows, all I know is there are more question marks going into 2007 then we've seen in a LONG time so let's hope the players rally together and make it happen

  4. #24
    BlitzburghNation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hazard,Ky
    Posts
    7,874
    Don't over this !

  5. #25
    Reppin' 724
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC- But from Beaver Falls, PA
    Posts
    5,223
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerDan43 View Post
    If Porter had played better on the field last year and injuries not been a factor he would still be here but the fact his he can now be considered injury prone and now that he is on the downside of his career paying a declining injury prone player doesn't make alot of sense. No different than the previously when older vets were let go for the same reason, its not like we dont have any other leadership on the team
    I don't know who you were watchin last year, but he didn't have this "terrible" season you keep bringing up.

  6. #26
    SteelerDan43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    I don't know who you were watchin last year, but he didn't have this "terrible" season you keep bringing up.
    How about being tied for 34th in the league in sacks, a mind blowing 55 tackles, and 6 games with 2 or less tackles and two with 3 and 5 games with just 1 tackle. All in a system that is linebacker dominated. That ranks Porter last among the Steelers starting LB's Farrior had 128, Foote with 91, Haggans with 77. Porter ranked 9th on the Steelers in tackles. And he missed two games
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

    R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

  7. #27
    Dayton Steel BB2W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's
    Posts
    2,180
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Who the hell knows, all I know is there are more question marks going into 2007 then we've seen in a LONG time so let's hope the players rally together and make it happen
    I agree, and you're right... we won't know until they take the field.

    I think the team is probabaly better in 2007 with Porter, but it was the right move for the long-term future of the team.
    Last edited by BB2W; 03-03-2007 at 10:58 PM.



  8. #28
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerDan43 View Post
    How about being tied for 34th in the league in sacks, a mind blowing 55 tackles, and 6 games with 2 or less tackles and two with 3 and 5 games with just 1 tackle. All in a system that is linebacker dominated. That ranks Porter last among the Steelers starting LB's Farrior had 128, Foote with 91, Haggans with 77. Porter ranked 9th on the Steelers in tackles. And he missed two games
    And thru all that Joey got the majority of the double teams and dropped into coverage way more than the other 3 because he was our best pass coverage LB, so those stats are skewed. Joey's performance isn't always about getting tackles and sacks because he was responsible for much more than just pass rushing.

    Sure I'd have liked to see him get more tackles and sacks but it is what is. Greg Lloyd didn't always have stellar games for us, neither did Chad or Levon or Kevin Greene but when the chips were down and we had to have a play, and the team needed someone to rally behind, they looked to those players.

  9. #29
    SteelerDan43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,311
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    And thru all that Joey got the majority of the double teams and dropped into coverage way more than the other 3 because he was our best pass coverage LB, so those stats are skewed. Joey's performance isn't always about getting tackles and sacks because he was responsible for much more than just pass rushing.

    Sure I'd have liked to see him get more tackles and sacks but it is what is. Greg Lloyd didn't always have stellar games for us, neither did Chad or Levon or Kevin Greene but when the chips were down and we had to have a play, and the team needed someone to rally behind, they looked to those players.
    Excuses Excuses, stats dont lie. The best players on every team get the double teams. He wasnt getting the job done. double teams sure didnt hurt players like shawn merriman. He was supposed to be this amazing pass rusher and blow up plays when in reality the stats bear it out that he wasnt great at either on a consistant basis. he had double digit sacks only twice in his career. Im sorry stats do not lie, there is no excuse for 5 games with 1 tackle
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

    R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

  10. #30
    Dayton Steel BB2W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's
    Posts
    2,180
    Quote Originally Posted by BB2W View Post
    The team will move on... once camp starts the team will form it's own identity and just play football.
    I just thought about this... anyone that played high school football knows what I'm talking about. Every year you lost your best players and biggest leaders, but the team moved on and someone stepped up.
    Last edited by BB2W; 03-03-2007 at 11:54 PM.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. A Nice Joke For The Season Opener
    By Black@Gold Forever32 in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 01:41 AM
  2. STEELER PLAYERS and thier dogs
    By BlitzburghNation in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 10:23 AM
  3. All time players
    By Blitzburghpete in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-30-2007, 05:02 AM
  4. Do the Steeler players get on this site?
    By TampaSteelGirl in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 11:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •