Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Porters departure troubles Steeler players

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaSteelGirl View Post
    I totally disagree! It is emotional! These guys are like family, we play like family and that's why we are a unique football team. We don't play like the other teams in their "There is I in the word Team" football. Each player complements each other and losing Porter is a huge loss to the Steelers. Emotionally and defensively. If you thought last year was bad, wait till this year now. Losing Jerome and now Joey, I was so excited about this new coach until this suprising news about Joey, now I feel disaapointment somewhat! Our boys are fearing for their positions and in some way it's good but I think its going to do more harm that good. I'll bet Joey has his best year this year and I'm sorry it's not going to be as a Steeler!!!!
    The thing is are his best years are behind him, I will be shocked if he ever plays another full 16 game season again. He will miss at least a game this year with some kind of injury
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerDan43 View Post
    If Porter had played better on the field last year and injuries not been a factor he would still be here but the fact his he can now be considered injury prone and now that he is on the downside of his career paying a declining injury prone player doesn't make alot of sense. No different than the previously when older vets were let go for the same reason, its not like we dont have any other leadership on the team
    Who else is a leader on the team right now like Joey was?

Let's put it another way. Jerome was a leader that everybody respected and rallied around his entire career with us. When he left last year who stepped up to take over some of that role? Nobody. Hines didn't, neither did Alan, Ben, Willie, Casey, Troy? Nope, the team was in disarray last year when we needed leadership the most.

Now Joey is gone, and he was the sole player who lit a fire under the team, inspired them and fired them up. Everybody respected him and followed his lead.

Our team has always been special and unique because they rallied around each other, they stayed focused, they were a family and stuck together. Now they are in a state of flux and there is more change on the way with the draft and any FA's we bring. Players need to step up in a big way and I hope to God they do because if they don't, we will struggle.

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    Last I checked, football is an emotional game. This team has no identity at the moment. I have my doubts that this team will find an indentity by the time the reg. season rolls around. When we got rid of guys like Lloyd and Woodson, we had people who could step up and take their place, this is not the case with Porter. He can still go above and dbeyond what is expected of him. I really hope he doesn't get picked up by the bungles, b/c he is going to make up pay if he does.

I stand by my previous statement that this is a terrible move. It's all about letting the team know who is in charge, and the outcome is going to hurt the fans. Tomlin is trying to show who the boss is, and I think the team is going to resent him for it.

He better show me something in this draft.
    I agree with you and this entire post 100%!!!!!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerDan43 View Post
    The thing is are his best years are behind him, I will be shocked if he ever plays another full 16 game season again. He will miss at least a game this year with some kind of injury
    Oh please!!!! He's in fabulous shape and not injured!! He's only 29 and has many great years ahead of him! Everyone had a crappy year last year, Troy, Hines, Ben, Ike etc...It wasn't just Joey. I"m telling you, whoever picks him up is getting some serious defensive help!!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

House of Steel
    This article shows a lot about what I knew all along on how much of an impact Joey Porter has on the Steelers. Ben and Hines both explained it. Alan Faneca is now starting to question the Front Office, and with what happened to Porter, now he is even afraid to stay a Steeler now. Can't blame him.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This team felt the impact of Joey not being on the field when he was shot, when he hurt his hamstring last year, and each time was missing for any reason. Now he's gone for good it will take time to adjust no matter who steps in.

James Harrison is a good, tough, mean linebacker and I like what he brings to the table. If he stays healthy he can be a huge help for us, but still missing the identity of your defense will take some time to overcome.

If you call playing in all 16 games only four out of his eight year career and only once in his last four great shape
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Who else is a leader on the team right now like Joey was?

Let's put it another way. Jerome was a leader that everybody respected and rallied around his entire career with us. When he left last year who stepped up to take over some of that role? Nobody. Hines didn't, neither did Alan, Ben, Willie, Casey, Troy? Nope, the team was in disarray last year when we needed leadership the most.

Now Joey is gone, and he was the sole player who lit a fire under the team, inspired them and fired them up. Everybody respected him and followed his lead.

Our team has always been special and unique because they rallied around each other, they stayed focused, they were a family and stuck together. Now they are in a state of flux and there is more change on the way with the draft and any FA's we bring. Players need to step up in a big way and I hope to God they do because if they don't, we will struggle.
    With the coaching changes and players being released it is definitely time for players to step up and be the leaders both on offense and defense. Last year I think everyone was waiting on someone else to step up. With all that went on last year nobody stepped. Why? Who knows. There will be confusion on where we are going and how we are going to get there. This is the time for Tomlin to speak not just individually but speak to the team as a whole and get everyone on the same page. Get the defense knowing if we'll be a 3-4 or a 4-3 or a cover 2 or a what the **** ever. He wanted to be the coach well this is where Tomlin needs to step up and do his part on keeping the team together and start focusing on this coming season. The releases and the not knowing what we are doing will be a distraction. Yes the players are grown men and should be able to handle change but not if its going to slap them in the face when it happens and without warning.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

It seemed like the end of the world when they lost Nickerson, Brown, Lloyd, Kirkland, Holmes, etc. The team will move on... once camp starts the team will form it's own identity and just play football.

Quote Originally Posted by BB2W View Post
    It seemed like the end of the world when they lost Nickerson, Brown, Lloyd, Kirkland, Holmes, etc. The team will move on... once camp starts the team will form it's own identity and just play football.
    Agreed

Chicken Little - "the sky is falling!!"

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

Thread Information