Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Porters departure troubles Steeler players

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by BBG7 View Post
    No...I was a very competitve swimmer and I can tell you I could never compare that sport to football. Plus swimming is more of an individual sport and football is a team sport. There is a huge difference and the two can't be compared.
    I AM NOT COMPARING THE PHYSICAL ASPECTS I AM TALKING ABOUT LEADERSHIP IN SPORTS TEAMS WHICH EXTENDS TO ALL SPORTS
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    Porter has never had more than 88 tackles in a year, and has averaged about 58 per year. Porter has never had a lot of tackles. He is a guy who is getting doubled ...a lot. Once again, I don't know what season you were watching, but Joey actually had a better year "statistically" last year then he did in '04.

So by your thinking since he started to "slip" in '04, we should have gotten rid of him.
    Every team's best players get double teamed it sure doesnt seem to hurt them. Are you saying players like Merriman who led the league in sacks didnt get double teamed as well??? The decision to get rid of him now is due to a trend that has been following him for the last few years including 04. He has never had great stats outside of 2 years of his 8. In my opinion he was overrated as a player because of his outspoken personality.
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerDan43 View Post
    I AM NOT COMPARING THE PHYSICAL ASPECTS I AM TALKING ABOUT LEADERSHIP IN SPORTS TEAMS WHICH EXTENDS TO ALL SPORTS
    however, from my experience...the type of leadership you refer to when talking about leadership is exactly what you need on a swim team (I will agree with that) but, swimming is not really a team a sport (it is much more individualized) and most swimmers I know have their own ways to get fired up. I used to sit in a corner by myself, listen to the same song and visualize my race. That is different than what a football team needs. They need that leadership you refer to, but they also need an in your face, light a fire under your *** kind of leader also. That was Joey's role...a role that does needed on a swim team.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

however, from my experience...the type of leadership you refer to when talking about leadership is exactly what you need on a swim team (I will agree with that) but, swimming is not really a team a sport (it is much more individualized) and most swimmers I know have their own ways to get fired up. I used to sit in a corner by myself, listen to the same song and visualize my race. That is different than what a football team needs. They need that leadership you refer to, but they also need an in your face, light a fire under your *** kind of leader also. That was Joey's role...a role that does needed on a swim team.
    at the end of meets when its close coming down to the last few events individuals dont decide the meet, the team mindset does. A relay is definatley a team event. I have seen multiple meets decided by the breaststroke and last relay and those meets have been won by coming together as a team. So I completely disagree with you.

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

at the end of meets when its close coming down to the last few events individuals dont decide the meet, the team mindset does. A relay is definatley a team event. I have seen multiple meets decided by the breaststroke and last relay and those meets have been won by coming together as a team. So I completely disagree with you.
    Ok, but in a relay you are swimming by yourself while working as a team. I am not dissing swimming. I grew up with the sport and it was my life for most of my life. Many of my life accomplishemnts come from the sport. All I'm saying is there is a difference in the type of motivation you need for swimming than you would need to walk out on a football field and kick some ***. Ever sport needs different type of leadership and people to fuill those roles. Football is the kind of sport that you have to be physically and mentally tough and go out and kick some *** and emotions play a big part in that. I see you saying what type of leadership is needed, and you are right, I completely agree with the fact that you need leaders to lead by example, but in football you also need an emotional leader...some one to light that spark and someone to keep that spark lit the entire game.

Ok, but in a relay you are swimming by yourself while working as a team. I am not dissing swimming. I grew up with the sport and it was my life for most of my life. Many of my life accomplishemnts come from the sport. All I'm saying is there is a difference in the type of motivation you need for swimming than you would need to walk out on a football field and kick some ***. Ever sport needs different type of leadership and people to fuill those roles. Football is the kind of sport that you have to be physically and mentally tough and go out and kick some *** and emotions play a big part in that. I see you saying what type of leadership is needed, and you are right, I completely agree with the fact that you need leaders to lead by example, but in football you also need an emotional leader...some one to light that spark and someone to keep that spark lit the entire game.
    Ok for example this season going into the 200 breast we nneded to win that and the last relay to win. We gathered together as a team and rallied around the breastrokers and we had a person drop 2 seconds off his time to win the race (no different from making a big play). Everyone was so pumped from his effort we came from behind in the relay to win the meet. There is no difference in the type of motivation you need, both football and swimming have players that need to be relatively calm and cognitive but both also have the adrenaline pumping jumping up and down pre-play/pre-race people as well. If you start off the meet well with a great medley relay it can have the same effect on the swim team and raise the teams spirits and thereby their performances just as forcing the other team to a 3 and out does the same. Leadership is not sport dependent, nor does it only have to be confined to the idea of sports all together. I can believe how much time I have wasted talking about this bum. Good riddance Joey Porter, we dont need you, your bum legs, your sporadic performance, or your thug attitude. I have better things to do then worry about losing and aging overrated player

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

ok, you are missing the point.

Reppin' 724
    Dude, stop trying to compare swimming to football, there is no comparison at all. Being at a swimming meet and in a football game are two completely different things. It's like comparing feminine apples to masculine oranges.

I played the game for 10 years, and I am actually pretty offended that you would even try to find similarities in the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    Dude, stop trying to compare swimming to football, there is no comparison at all. Being at a swimming meet and in a football game are two completely different things. It's like comparing feminine apples to masculine oranges.

I played the game for 10 years, and I am actually pretty offended that you would even try to find similarities in the two.
    well I don't know how much I like your comparison but you are right...the two do not even come close to being a good comparison.

When Greg Lloyd left, we had Gildon to step up and be the #1 OLB. When Kirkland and Holmes left, Kendrell Bell and James Farrior stepped up to fill their roles. When Gildon left, Porter became the #1 OLB, but Haggans was a downgrade, IMO. Now that Porter is gone, who's going to step up? Haggans? He was already a downgrade from Gildon. Harrison? Maybe in terms of skill, where he looks kind of like a mini-Porter, but not in terms of leadership. Ever other time a guy has left, his replacement has been just as good. The last one though, Haggans, was a clear downgrade, and from the looks of it, the replacement for Porter will be one too.

Why couldn't we just cut Haggans (who's good, but not great), and with the money we save there, resign Porter for the $6 or $7 million he wanted?
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Thread Information